• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Svt - $500 - Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegacySHO

CEG'er
Hi all,

My SVT was recently totaled in the SF bay area. My wife was driving it and it got hit by some sort of metal parts that fell off a truck. It has 89,000 miles on the original body, motor, transmission.

The damage is in the pics below. I believe there may have also been damage to the oil pan. The motor may or may not be seized, because after the accident, the police officer told my wife to drive the car from one shoulder to another, even though there was liquid on the ground. On the way there, the car shut off and she couldn't restart it. My wife said a light was on on the dash, but she couldn't remember which one. She also couldn't identify the liquid on the ground. HOWEVER, the estimate from the collision shop did not list any motor parts or labor required.

I have the option of buying it back for $500, but I have nowhere to put it. (I live in an apartment complex and we're not allowed to work on our cars there, let alone keep a salvage car.)

If someone wants to buy it, they can have everything except a few parts I want to sell separately. Here's what I want to sell:

• rims & tires
  • Borla cat-back exhaust
  • a few stereo components (head unit, amp, and a couple 8" subs)
  • the shift knob (a cougar knob...I'll probably try to pick up a few bucks for it)
The rest would is up for grabs for $500; I believe it could be parted out for much more than that:
  • engine including upper/lower intake manifolds (I thought it pulled pretty hard...quite a bit harder than my previous SVT),
  • transmission (absolutely no grinding in any gears, but I think it may be making some sort of rotational noise...or I could be mistaken and it could be a CV joint...I'm no mechanic)
  • optimized Y-pipe
  • optimized TB
  • Pioneer 6x8's w/horn tweeters (in all 4 doors)
  • almost new front wheel bearing (replaced a few thousand miles ago)
  • almost new lower control arm on the driver's side (I think it was the driver's side)
  • brakes
  • body (doors, fenders, rear bumper and side skirts were in great shape for a 98, see "before" pics, below)
  • interior (great shape)
  • KKM intake
  • H&R springs
  • spare tire
  • instrument cluster (in kilometers; car was from Canada)
  • everything else
The only "catch" is that you'd need to give me the $500 and tell me where to have it towed either today or tomorrow. The insurance dragged their feet getting back to me and now apparently the shop is anxious to have it out of their way. After the car is in your hands, I will transfer the salvage title to you.

Please reply to this thread or PM with any questions.

Thanks,
Ken

After pics: (paint looks "blotchy" due to low quality pics from the collision center, but is in fact in great condition, see "before" pics below)

back.jpg

back2.jpg

back3.jpg

engine.jpg

front.jpg

front2.jpg

front3.jpg

interior.jpg

Before pics: The car was in great condition. One of the best around. I'm really sorry to see it go. It had an awesome stance with the H&Rs. The rims were the perfect match for the car. It sounded awesome and pulled hard. I'll never forget the exhaust note of this car with the Borla.

The paint is currently in the condition as seen below:

DSC_2264.jpg

DSC_2266.jpg

Someone in California better jump all over this...I'm too far away. Depending on price I may be interested in the wheels/tires.

Are you sure that it didn't stop running because of the collision fuel cut-off? The reset button is next to the dead pedal. Doesn't look too bad, I don't see why it couldn't be fixed.

I loved those rims. German made...lightweight...and the stance was awesome. They must be extremely rare because I've never seen them on any other car. Ever.

I also loved that exhaust. I don't know if I'll ever find another car that sounds that good. :cry:

Are you sure that it didn't stop running because of the collision fuel cut-off? The reset button is next to the dead pedal. Doesn't look too bad, I don't see why it couldn't be fixed.

I think I can see in one of the photos "No oil pan" written on the windshield. If that were true, that means the engine was run without oil for a while. My wife remembers running over some parts. I'm assuming they could've maybe ripped the oil pan off.

I can't see the pics for some reason but I'd definitely buy the car if I were closer. I am also interested in several of the parts if you or anyone else parts it out. Please let me know.
Thanks, J

We're running out of time...don't let this car go to the crusher! If nobody buys it, anyone with rims or exhaust who can get them to me today or tomorrow will get a great deal on a swap for the Complite rims or Borla. Let's say $400 for the rims and $400 for the exhaust (with exchange of your stock parts). Both are quite hard to find (maybe impossible for the rims) and in excellent condition.

I loved those rims. German made...lightweight...and the stance was awesome. They must be extremely rare because I've never seen them on any other car. Ever.

I also loved that exhaust. I don't know if I'll ever find another car that sounds that good. :cry:

Only two sets to my knowledge stateside - Both on CEG

Honestly Ken, if you let those wheels go to the crusher I'll have to murder you. Put somebodies wheels on there, anyone.

LISTEN UP CEG - I DON'T OWN A CONTOUR ANYMORE AND IF YOU ALL COLLECTIVELY ALLOW THESE WHEELS / EXHAUST TO GET CRUSH ILL COME TO EACH ONE OF YOUR :censored::censored::censored::censored:ING HOUSES AND SLAP YOUR STUPID FACE!

:laugh:

Ken sorry to see that happen to your car. Hope all is going well in Cali (well besides the accident of course). Also glad to hear noone was injured :).

Aaron

I don't want to let it go to the crusher, but I don't know how I can take the wheels/exhaust off without putting on replacements. And as of right now I don't have any. I also can't buy the car because I have nowhere to put it (I live in an apartment complex with assigned parking.)

I emailed my insurance rep to ask how long I can have to try to figure something out. It could be a few extra days, or maybe just until Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll know tomorrow. But if anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to hearing them. :help:

Damn, I wish I was closer, I'd trade you my steelies I still have from my upgrade just to get the wheels off.

Couldn't you just unbolt the exhaust? :shrug:

Almost hate to say it but wish this happened up in Toronto! That thing would be taken off your hands in minutes.

I know...front wheel drive cars just aren't as popular down here. :( I actually have some stuff in Toronto I need to get rid of now including stock 16's w/winter tires, stock exhaust with awesome magnaflow tips, and a set of magnecor race wires.

Taking another look at the pics, it looks like the front bumper might be good to go with just a repaint.

Also, for anyone considering the Borla, here's a good clip of what it sounds like. (not my car, but sounds just the same)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back