• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Supercharger drawing near the end

Well, worse comes to worse anyone decent with fiberglass can just source one of the umpteen bazillion Contour hoods out of a local JY and build up a "bulge" for the blower to go under.

Why not make the whole hood clear?..

Because the clear hoods they sell in catalogs are not legal for use on the road. But you could swap out the hoods when parked for a show! ;)

Or a clear acrylic dome to show off that SC sexiness.

I wonder if you can get polycarbonate inserts?!? Maybe just hit the local scrap yard for one off an F50 Ferrari! LOL

Has anybody suggested Joey speak with that maker of Contour hoods, TopShop, yet?

Hood in Carbon Fiber = 500.00 plus 150-190 shipping
Hood in Fiberglass = 300.00 plus 150-190 shipping

i would be sweet to get a hood like what mustangs have and be able to put some stazi mesh in it and see the sc through the mesh. that would probably be a large scoop though.

Mold on the power dome section of a 2000 Cobra R hood onto a Contour hood. I've mentioned this before and might do it on my car down the road, but this would match the body lines very well and have an SVT tie-in. Just my thought, thats what I'd do.
-J

Well I installed it the SC less then one hour so the install is really easy thus far. The only change I must do is move back the SC 1/4" back to clear the water overflow tank. I really happy to see the SC does not stick up as far as I thought it will make a good low profile hood scoop or rasied center. Now I will be prototyping the inlet of the SC to the MAF and gathering up all the line positions.

Looks great!

Thoughts:

-Make sure you still have belt clearance if you move the supercharger back 1/4". It looks like the belt is going to contact itself if you move the supercharger back. You may need to reposition the pulleys below as well.

-You may have issues with those that want to eventually raise boost levels because drive pulley running off the main belt can't get any larger and the supercharger pulley can only get so small. It looks like you are running a pretty small pulley on there already. What boost would that setup be running at?

-Make sure you beef up that engine mount. You don't want a lawsuit in case you have a mount failure. I looked into designing a new top mount plate but decided to go another route partially because I didn't want to worry about failures.

Yeah we will make the mount out of solid steel cnc I am just using this one for reference point and that mount does not see side stress it is make to rock so it is more elss for holding the motor up but thanks for the great input because I feel me an you can agree that is the first question we ask ourself will be sued and lose everything we earned and achieved over one failure. The pulley system can be moved back 1/4" because we have 3/8" gap between the dual pulley setup. We are using a 6" crank pulley that turns a 5" pulley that turns a 2.20 pulley on the outside then it turns the 2.20 pulley on the SC which nets 8400rpms impeller at 7000rpms on the motor will net us less then 400cfm for real low boost aplication stock tune. The mp90 max impeller revs are 14000 rpms so a 3" outer pulley will net us 11500 and 3.25 is 12500 and basically a 3.5" drive pulley on the supercharger will net 13500rpms good for over 500hp. The main key to remember is that are driving the inner pulley 8400rpms so that becomes our set rpms at 7000rpms engine. We ordered all our SC with 2.20 on them already because it easier to decrease the revs on our setup then it is to increase it. Thanks for the compliments JOEY
Looks great!

Thoughts:

-Make sure you still have belt clearance if you move the supercharger back 1/4". It looks like the belt is going to contact itself if you move the supercharger back. You may need to reposition the pulleys below as well.

-You may have issues with those that want to eventually raise boost levels because drive pulley running off the main belt can't get any larger and the supercharger pulley can only get so small. It looks like you are running a pretty small pulley on there already. What boost would that setup be running at?

-Make sure you beef up that engine mount. You don't want a lawsuit in case you have a mount failure. I looked into designing a new top mount plate but decided to go another route partially because I didn't want to worry about failures.

Yeah we will make the mount out of solid steel cnc I am just using this one for reference point and that mount does not see side stress it is make to rock so it is more elss for holding the motor up but thanks for the great input because I feel me an you can agree that is the first question we ask ourself will be sued and lose everything we earned and achieved over one failure. The pulley system can be moved back 1/4" because we have 3/8" gap between the dual pulley setup. We are using a 6" crank pulley that turns a 5" pulley that turns a 2.20 pulley on the outside then it turns the 2.20 pulley on the SC which nets 8400rpms impeller at 7000rpms on the motor will net us less then 400cfm for real low boost aplication stock tune. The mp90 max impeller revs are 14000 rpms so a 3" outer pulley will net us 11500 and 3.25 is 12500 and basically a 3.5" drive pulley on the supercharger will net 13500rpms good for over 500hp. The main key to remember is that are driving the inner pulley 8400rpms so that becomes our set rpms at 7000rpms engine. We ordered all our SC with 2.20 on them already because it easier to decrease the revs on our setup then it is to increase it. Thanks for the compliments JOEY

With a max impeller speed of 14k your fine. The Vortech V9 I use has a max rpm of 52k so pulley sizing seems to get a little more complicated to get your rpms up that high.

With a max impeller speed of 14k your fine. The Vortech V9 I use has a max rpm of 52k so pulley sizing seems to get a little more complicated to get your rpms up that high.

yeah you have inside step up drive in the vortec so roots gain more by lower rpm which turbo and voretcs needs high revs and the roots are postive displacement so they force air in liters that is why roots makes so much power down low because they spin lower revs then turbos or vortec same priciple as you know. We are running a large intercooler so we could pus it past 14k but no 3 liter will handle that mcuh boost unless it fully built. I am sure the vortec will nmake more power up top due to less hp to run but i see the driveablitly here being the best for the street guys as long as they don't mind changing tires alot..............:)

Ok I am done on my end now I will turn this over to my machinist to make this metal jigsaw come to life. I will be waiting for two weeks to get it back because he is also going to make the fuel rail for it EGR mounts etc so this will be a lengthy stretch but in the meanwhile I am trying out some new SS headers for the mazda 6 and a new cold air that I will develop here get some base dynos install the piggyback system and see what we can get while I am running this kit on the contour for all out boost numbers.

Pic of the TB placement the inlet will be solid aluminum machined out to match the TB and will have some places for vacuum etc. Joey

mazdaTBposition.jpg

Looks good!
Any chance of using a bigger TB?
Roots SC are much more sensitive to inlet restriction than turbo/centrifugal set-ups and you want a bigger TB and inlet piping if possible.
-J

yeah that looks like a drive by wire TB for the mazda 6. i imagine the setup for a contour would be easier and bigger, and easily modified per application. all assumptions but that TB wouldnt work on a tour' anyways if it is indeed drive by wire

Looks good!
Any chance of using a bigger TB?
Roots SC are much more sensitive to inlet restriction than turbo/centrifugal set-ups and you want a bigger TB and inlet piping if possible.
-J

yeah there will be more mating surface there to machine out or dremel out a larger TB the plenum will come in any bolt pattern you want we will just need to know the bolt pattern and ID hole size before cutting the TB out. Joey

Good, those should give big gains.
Not sure if the Mazda drive by wire TB is like Ford but the '05+ Mustang aftermarket TB might be a good upgrade.
-J

Back