• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock times

Just for reference i've beat a 300ZX twin turbo untell just before the end of the 1/4. So i know how to drive.

Either that, or the other driver didn't.

There is always more than one possibility.

My stock auto 1985 Z-28 (only a 305) would take any stock manual Z-28. With the shift kit and slightly higher stall converter, I would kill pretty much anything with similar power.... and most other MTX cars (vettes) with higher power, at least through 1st and 2nd. For drag racing, it depends on the ATX and power, which our ATX's suck and we don't really have that much power.

Granted... many of the drivers with MTX's in the opposing lane might not be fully adept at drag racing an MTX, but an ATX takes alot of the potential driver error out of it.

Either that, or the other driver didn't.

There is always more than one possibility.

Yea, probably a bad example. I just didnt want everyone to be all "Well its probably cause your double clutching, Lucky you didnt blow the welds on the intake manifold"

:laugh:

Granted... many of the drivers with MTX's in the opposing lane might not be fully adept at drag racing an MTX, but an ATX takes alot of the potential driver error out of it.

Which is why i think its bogus racing ATX cars. Its like "well i can put my foot on the brake and gas and let go of the brakes, mash the pedal to the floor and be done"

I dunno, in one way it tests which car is faster, and the other it tests which driver is faster.

correct me if im wrong, but it would vary depending on the production year wouldnt it? didnt the 98.5 svtc boast 195 hp while the latest version produced 215 - 225 depending on dealer options such as resonator delete and intake filter setup?

Resonator delete as a dealer option??????????? :help: :crazy:

early 98 had 195, 99 had ~200. this was not E0/E1 dependant, though.

haha. well i say that cuz i met a seargent in the army some time in 2000/01 that had a black csvt and had a short ram with an open element air filter and a tube running from the end of it to the fender well. looked very professional. and he said the dealer deleted the resonator too. claimed 225hp. course i guess it could have been used and previously modded, but i thought he said he bought it new,... long time ago.

The SVT HAS a tube that runs from the end of the stock air box and in to the fender. You can size your replacement Open Air to fit up against that tube and funnel cooler air to said open air filter. It was not a dealer option, it was modified, and it did not give him 225hp. It gave him an ego boost. :help:

Drag racing an Auto car=teh ghey. Unless of course your making decent power (North of 450 at LEAST)

Track times all relative to how high you are in the world (elevation) For instance. My car runs about a second slower than it should (at least) in the 1/4 mile.

Just for reference i've beat a 300ZX twin turbo untell just before the end of the 1/4. So i know how to drive.

That's funny, I think the above only applies to FWD cars. Most V8 F-bodies are faster in automatic form, due to sheer human error when driving the manual. It's kinda like back in the sixties when almost every winning Mopar at the drag races had an automatic. Sure, the Borg-Warner 4-speed COULD go faster, but very few were actually able to pull it off. The point is, an automatic will typically win more consistantly than a manual.

Oh and just for the record, my Zetec ATX Mystique ran an 18.5 stock, 18.1 with intake and more experience.

The official Ford time is, as has been posted 15.7 an old member here, and a local friend of mine, svt2000, ran a 14.7 at Norwalk ohio, with very minor mods (air filter and borla catback) so a 14.9 is POSSIBLE from a stock CSVT but not terribly likely.

Why are you guys cluttering this stickied thread? You are off-topic (Stock Contour/Mystique times).

i hit a 15.9 with a full tank of gas and my car running like pure $hit... my grommet isnt seated right and ford wont honor the recall on it. gotta shell out the 200$ to have it done... once that is done i'll get a good run for ny

I had ran my SE (V6/MTX) with I think one mod to a 15.484 @ 86.60, then I upped it with an APEX-i SAFC, intake, SVT upper and lower intake, 60mm TB, and exhaust to a 15.012 @ 90.58, so an SE can be a factory freak and run quicker then the SVT.

BTW, the Mazdaspeed 6 that I had bough a few months ago ran a 13.739 @ 98.10 stock (no ice, no high octane additive), so I'm a decent driver.

Last edited:
i hit a 15.9 with a full tank of gas and my car running like pure $hit... my grommet isnt seated right and ford wont honor the recall on it. gotta shell out the 200$ to have it done... once that is done i'll get a good run for ny

actually all the spitting and sputtering was from a bad fuel pump/ i replaced it and took it to the track/ i pulled a 15.2 at 89mph with a 2.3 60'... i'm pretty sure thats good when my car is pretty much bone stock.

Back