• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sti turbo for svt?

Bad idea

Bad idea

This is probably gonna destroy the engine. the duratec engine is not enforce to take high pressures. also you might get back pressure that will destroy your engine kinda like many DSM's (for the uneducated those include Galant VR-4, Eagle Talon TSi, and Dodge Stealth.) Check out the Galant VR-4 forums for the bad stuff that has happened to these poor cars.

This is probably gonna destroy the engine. the duratec engine is not enforce to take high pressures. also you might get back pressure that will destroy your engine kinda like many DSM's (for the uneducated those include Galant VR-4, Eagle Talon TSi, and Dodge Stealth.) Check out the Galant VR-4 forums for the bad stuff that has happened to these poor cars.

Yah... :rolleyes:
Okay. So the turbo choice alone tells you enough that it will destroy the engine...

Stealth's aren't really dsm's. They came with turbo'd v6's as opposed to the 4g63 that's in the vr-4 and the eclipses/talons/lasers.

These cars aren't destroyed because of back pressure. People make 300 whp reliably on stock engines. The big difference between these engines and the duratec is that these engines were made for boost, the stock duratec is not!!!! So everyone should keep that in mind when planning to add any type of forced induction. A small amount of boost may not be enough to kill a duratec with good compression across all the cylinders, but in the long run duratecs aren't made to handle what other factory turbo cars do.

what is it with new people lately....especially telling us the duratec isn't made for boost....

morons.

Stealth's aren't really dsm's. They came with turbo'd v6's as opposed to the 4g63 that's in the vr-4 and the eclipses/talons/lasers.

These cars aren't destroyed because of back pressure. People make 300 whp reliably on stock engines. The big difference between these engines and the duratec is that these engines were made for boost, the stock duratec is not!!!! So everyone should keep that in mind when planning to add any type of forced induction. A small amount of boost may not be enough to kill a duratec with good compression across all the cylinders, but in the long run duratecs aren't made to handle what other factory turbo cars do.

You are correct, this engine in the form we use it was designed for NA operation. That doesn't mean the "Block and heads" were NOT designed for boost. Look at the duratec in racing both NA and Turbo.

Also, look at the Honda B series motors. They never came boosted but NO ONE makes a peep about them not handling boost since there are so many. They make forged internals and gaskets and the block/heads can a good amount of boost.

The duratecs used in racing with forged lumps and gaskets can handle a ****load of boost.
The stock Duratec 3L in the form we use it can probably safely handle 350 wHP for a long time.

Well stated Warmonger. I agree with your statement. I just think a lot of people just think you can slap a turbo on your duratec and you're good to go. Matching a turbo to your engine and also making sure your engine can withstand the boost you plan on throwing at itis most important. I've gone through and seen many people go through tons of engines because everything wasn't properly tested or thought out before boost was added.

My warning statement that the duratec wasn't neceassrily made for boost isn't for those that have been around our engines for a while. It's more for the newer members who want to start another annoying thread entitled "Help Boosting Contour" :nonono: :nonono: .

Well stated Warmonger. I agree with your statement. I just think a lot of people just think you can slap a turbo on your duratec and you're good to go. Matching a turbo to your engine and also making sure your engine can withstand the boost you plan on throwing at itis most important. I've gone through and seen many people go through tons of engines because everything wasn't properly tested or thought out before boost was added.

My warning statement that the duratec wasn't neceassrily made for boost isn't for those that have been around our engines for a while. It's more for the newer members who want to start another annoying thread entitled "Help Boosting Contour" :nonono: :nonono: .
thats why i posted this thread to see if you mechanicly inclined people could help me out and let me know if it would work

ya but seriously you're new and come into a forum where most of us have boosted high hp contours... come on you're gonna get flack.

There is so much info people just need to read before posting!!!

ya but seriously you're new and come into a forum where most of us have boosted high hp contours... come on you're gonna get flack.

There is so much info people just need to read before posting!!!

Flack for what? I'm not telling you not to boost your motor, if anything I'm all for it. But in my own personal experience boosting is not something that people should do just cuz they feel the urge to modify something. I applaud all those who do have high-horsepower boosted tours. Those that do know that it's not simply something you can sit down and do in a weekend and thats it's something that takes a little bit of skill, a lot of experience, and even more work(unless you have money). But the fact of the matter is that many people have tried to boost and failed, maybe more then have succeeded, and the majority of people that ask half-a***d questions like "will an sti turbo work on my contour" (no offense)don't really need to be considerin forced-induction until they have some serious insight/background about the project. So I feel that people should really be more cautious when thinking about forced-induction when considering it for a factory n/a car. But w/e maybe I'm naive and everyone that has a spare turbo sitting around can make a 300+ hp contour without any problems.

In the larger sense I agree that people should read before posting. There's definitely enough info not only on this site, but on the web in general so that anyone can make a high horsepower car. Of course a little cha-ching doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
serious_cat.jpg

Back