• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i want to turbo my car

JEFFtourCT

CEG'er
hey guys,

my friend pulled out his stock turbo from his WRX. a trubos a turbo... right?

so what would it take to get that turbo to work on my csvt?

exluding the intercooler that goes into most csvt's.

mainly the question is, how would the turbo bolt up, what would i need bare minimal to get 4-5 psi. and could the stock 2.5 handle it?

be nice. there's no stickys FAQs in the forced induction fourm

A turbo is not a turbo.

If that is the extent of you knowledge, you have a long way to go before I would recommend that you attempt something of this magnitude yourself.

And Im not trying be be a smart a**. A stickie wouldnt cover what you need to learn. I would start on google with "homemade turbo" or something like that. There are a few websites and forums dedicated to homemade turbos, and it would probably be benificial to you to check them out and see what exactly goes into it.

Last edited:
there are many different sizes and types of turbos. this is now. the concept that they give boost is what i was going towards.

I want to turbo my car too. My buddy just pulled one off of his semi truck...
Semi_truck_illus.jpg

I'm thinking about boosting it up to 57 psi.

Jeff man, plan out your mods better and do more reading. Don't just jump onto anything because it sounds good at the time.

First, Your understanding of the way a turbo works is fundamentally flawed.
Turbochargers do not create boost, they simply use exhaut flow energy to run a "fan" (a highly engineered, and fancy "fan" but still a fan) that blows air into the intake side of the engine. The resistance to flow by the intake tract is what creates the resulting pressure buildup that people call boost. All boost is not created equal; 10psi of boost on a 2.0L WRX engine does not net the same increase as 10psi of boost on a 2.5L Contour engine, or even the same as 10psi of boost on a 2.0L Contour engine.

The stock WRX turbo is too small; You would need two of the stock WRX turbos to flow enough air to feed any decent power increase on the 2.5L Duratec. Provided you found two turbos, or even if you found one single turbo of the right size, you would need to build custom exhaust manifolds, custom downpipe(s), custom intake plumbing, a custom intercooler and plumbing to it (assuming you want an intercooler), you would need larger injectors, larger fuel pump capacity, a method of recalibrating the ECU, and a few other odds and ends. basically, if you don't have extensive technical knowledge of turbochargers (which its clear you don't, because of they way you asked your question) don't go the custom route; stick with a pre-engineered setup from a reputable company. If you must go turbo on your car, I highly recommend you either locate a used ADC turbo kit, or patiently wait until thier updated and simplified kit becomes available (if it ever does).

Wow, very nice post Rara. It is sometimes difficult to get the point across to people with so few words, and not only say something, but justify it as well. Too many people don't understand the difficulty and depth of something as complex (and yes it is complex as a whole) as turbocharging a car.

To Rawburt: Hahaha! Thats hilarious...

Not to mention with any decent turbo setup your going to need a rebuilt transmission with a quaife/torsen and your going to need a beefer clutch to handle the power.

wow guys, thanks for being so understanding..

What? you want us to coddle you into a false sense of security so you can get a warm fuzzy based on your incorrect assumptions about how simple it is????? If you want self affirmations about how good enough you are and how smart enough you are, I'm sure there is a Jack Handey forum out there somewhere (because doggone it, people like him) But don't expect it here; I'd much prefer getting a little cold dose of reality before I waste a boatload of cash, time and energy on something that is fundamentally flawed.

And for the record, no one ever said it couldn't be done (and it has been done), just that you were going about it the wrong way and with the wrong turbo.

If you were looking to take on a project I would look into a supercharger setup. It still would be complicated but not nearly as much. I'm sure you could find a S/C for a mustang and modify the setup to work. But as has been said, you still would need to reprogram the cpu. But if you want the most power for your money (and I think that's what your looking to do!) Put a loud muffler on, A BIG letter R sticker on the side and some chinese letters on the rear window and you'll get at least 75 more hp and probably run in the high 12 second range.:laugh:

Nothing personal guys but some of the content offended some people and we just fixed it up. Since I don't think there was any intentional attempt to break the rules we'll just point out that this is a friendly reminder. If there is any heartache over it then it might be wise to review the policy again.

Back