• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ST220 vacuum lines

Glad you didn't give up. We need some updated pictures of this thing once you get the ST220 UIM back on.

Funny thing, I dumped another $70 worth of royal purple in today, and the oil that came out was pretty bad from the gas in there. Took it for a short drive, and I think I am starting to hear a failed bearing, hopefully I am just hearing things, but it would make perfect sense. I will drive it some more tonight and see what's up.

Say what!? Man your luck just plain blows chunks. I think your just paranoid and your hearing things :laugh: But seriously you would have had to drive that car and awful lot an had a TON of fuel in your oil (4% dilution or more... ~1/4 quart+) to cause some serious damage.

I really hope I am being paranoid!! I did drive it a good 300 miles probably, for the longest time I was convinced it had to have something to do with the uim so I would try something and go drive around to test it. Oh well, I guess it's what I get for not having really any experience and going this all out with this car, I can say I have learned a lot though thanks to ceg. I will update with what I find out, should be tomorrow.

I can identify with the paranoia thing, the first week I drove my car to work I was really nervous. Every little sound drove me nuts. Hopefully it's fine, good luck.

I was just paranoid! Thank god. I woke up extra early to go drive around before work, did about 30 miles with a couple 6k rpm runs and it sounds normal. Wheew, I was up late last night worried looking at forged internals for the engine I already have and the prices on another 3L. Now onto doing little things to clean it up to be a reliable DD.

I was just paranoid! Thank god. I woke up extra early to go drive around before work, did about 30 miles with a couple 6k rpm runs and it sounds normal. Wheew, I was up late last night worried looking at forged internals for the engine I already have and the prices on another 3L. Now onto doing little things to clean it up to be a reliable DD.

Nice :cool:

I really hope I am being paranoid!! I did drive it a good 300 miles probably, for the longest time I was convinced it had to have something to do with the uim so I would try something and go drive around to test it. Oh well, I guess it's what I get for not having really any experience and going this all out with this car, I can say I have learned a lot though thanks to ceg. I will update with what I find out, should be tomorrow.

I can totally understand paranoia ... just an hour after that loud knock i got in my motor i had a hint of paranoia ... short story - So i have my SVT towed to the house .. remove my keys to my Suzuki SV650S, get home, start riding and while just riding around the lake i hear a rattle while riding the bike .. and as i rev louder it gets worse. I'm thinking WTF so i shake my head about to pull over i threw it into neutral and revved it. same rattle sound. i do it again while holding my keys that are in the bikes ignition and the sound goes away. damn those SVT key and remote really change a lot to make my house key and office key rattle so much :( that or i was just tuned into the little things because of the recent loss of the 2.5 :( Glad you kept fighting this thing and sorry so much $$$ went into a simple fix .. your thread really helped me figure out my vac lines though ...

Just thought I'd update this thread for everyone...

I've done some digging of my own in preparation for my own ST220 UIM install. I downloaded some helpfully programs, Mircocat (ver2010) and Ford TIS (ver2004). Ford ITS is bascially the exact same thing as the Ford Service CD many of you have, but it is for Ford Europe. Microcat is basically a dealer parts catalog which shows exploded views of different systems and allows you to determine Ford Europe part numbers for any part on the car. In doing this I have identified 3 of the 4 ports on the ST220 and what they connect too. See snap shots below.

First this picture helped a lot as it's an actual Mondeo ST220. This I found over at STdriveRS.co.uk
installedst220.jpg

Here are my snapshots with comments

ports3described.jpg

ports1described.jpg

Just updating this thread. The last two vacuum lines have been identified by my shear luck of looking through the classifieds. Guess I was wrong about the EVAP mounting on the firewall... or rather the Ford service manual didn't show it correctly. Also had the lines crossed as well, although I don't think it would have made a difference.

EVAP solenoid valve and fuel pressure regulator FTW ;)

Can I update this thread too with !!THIS THING STILL ISN'T RUNNING RIGHT!! Haha I went through another battle with the IAC, found out that you need a 01-03 taurus IAC for this manifold. So then I thought it just needed to be tuned, well after all this time of datalogging for Joey and waiting for new tunes he has figured out that my spark is all over the place, hence the reason it runs like such crap still. PCM ground looks fine, coil pack is grounded to a bolt on the rear valve cover, brand new spark plugs and wires with a 70k mile coil pack, no CEL. So that leaves the cam and crank position sensors, well if the actual sensors were bad the car wouldn't be running as far as I know. So here I am with another wiring problem, with the key in the "on" position should there be power at either of the wires at those two connectors?

Also should I just give up on this PITA to install intake manifold? Or am I almost there?

Its sitting in my garage now, along with all the parts Jon had for it. ST220 wont be going anywhere anytime soon. Haven't had anytime to mess with it but I think I will be starting with the tune after I go over everything else, never have liked mail order tunes.

Its sitting in my garage now, along with all the parts Jon had for it. ST220 wont be going anywhere anytime soon. Haven't had anytime to mess with it but I think I will be starting with the tune after I go over everything else, never have liked mail order tunes.

99% of us who got mail order tunes from joey are running fine. I think he was just unfortunate. If thats the problem that is...

99% of us who got mail order tunes from joey are running fine. I think he was just unfortunate. If thats the problem that is...

Sounds like he had some very bad luck with this car, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt carry on to me. I dont have a huge problem with mail order tunes, im sure there are lots of cars running around just fine on an NPG tune. But to me there is nothing like strapping a car to the dyno and tuning it in person, but obviously that is more expensive.

Sounds like he had some very bad luck with this car, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt carry on to me. I dont have a huge problem with mail order tunes, im sure there are lots of cars running around just fine on an NPG tune. But to me there is nothing like strapping a car to the dyno and tuning it in person, but obviously that is more expensive.

Agreed. Ideally...

Maybe its just my performance shop, but i can get a tune from someone who knows SVT's back and forth with an xcal 3 for $450. I think the guy is cutting me a deal because he lost his brother when his own CSVT was wrecked, and he's always asking about buying it from me:laugh:.
I would check with your local speed shops and ask if they know what the xcal is. Normally if they know what it is they know fords.

Thought I would update this
Got around to putting the taurus uim on with the stock 17lb injectors and stock tune today, car runs much better for sure but obviously still not perfect. So that tells me its the tune.

The taurus manifold ran fine with he tune once the manifold was swapped to the St220 that is when the problem started................ and why would ha put in a taurus manifodl from a St220 because the problem was to the upper manifold........

Somewhere in one of these threads states that he put the stock taurus uim back on but left the tune and larger injectors in and it ran no different than with the ST220 and the tune. The vacuum lines and everything on the intake system was just fine to me when I got the car.

Edit: Car also runs much better with the st220, stock injectors and no tune. Its not the intake manifold, how could an intake manifold cause the car to drop spark?

Back