• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing 2014?

Nobody is forgetting anything. The reason people feel so strongly about the topic of SZ is because the memories are so strong.
Everyone is doing their best to be sure the event is just as good every single year.

Have you ever even been to a SZ to even speak about former glory days?
The glory days were long before that article and the event that it covered.

It's admirable that you feel just as much passion for the event, and are willing to host and put all the work in to make it happen.
But as a very new member trying to define to veteran members what SZ is based on some magazine articles - you gotta realize that's not going to sit well with people.
SZ is DEFINITELY for CEG members, not just SVT owners, and not even for just Contours.
It's all people that appreciate the platform and want a gathering to share their enthusiasm with like-minded people from the Internet forum.
We have never EVER told anyone they can't show up to SZ because they don't show up with an SVT.

Btw for those that are anti-combined events, here's some history:
68060878-FDCA-43E8-9900-D5B7D17090F8-1482-0000046156ADEF17_zpsf0c2a215.jpg

SZ 2002 had the biggest turnout out of any single year.
It was a combined event with the SHO Society.
:p

I'm not sure where I tried using or even telling an older member about the glory days of spring zing. I started by putting some ideas out there for an event. But then questioned why? I thought ideas and opinions were welcome in an open discussion. Someone's join date only symbolizes when they joined not how long they have been floating around or memberships on other sites.

I'm not purposely trying to make things difficult. And like I said, I think it's great that you want to step up and plan the event.
Some of your posts are just coming off confusing, or what you're trying to say is maybe being misread.

I just wanted to make it clear that the event isn't just about SVT Contours, and neither is the entire membership of this site. All sorts of members of CEG that like to attend SZ do not have SVT Contours.
I don't want bad blood between the sites, nor do I want people to feel like they're not welcome.

Here's the problem. With the outage, people have been turned away, thus the Facebook group. There are hardly any old school members left. And with the influx of all these newbies, they're all here for the problems their cars bring. There's no passion in building what the car really is. And this is why the group is dwindling, and why Spring Zing will never become even close to what it used to be. It sucks because I haven't even been to a SZ event yet, and there were a ton of old school members that I wanted to meet, but they're no longer around. The non existent passion just makes it a poor attendance, because let's face it, there are more people who drive the car because its fun for transportation that they got for the cheap than those of us who mod it and try to make it our own and post on CEG

And on top of it, a lot of CEG is stingy with taking their car long distances due to their high expectations. (Kinda like me) I just don't wanna show up with 7 other contours.

Ramble over, my allergies are kicking in from this stupid cat.

This is exactly why there has been a lot of talk over the last few years of combining the events, because they keep getting smaller and smaller every year for this very reason. Many of the "old school" members on both forums have moved on from their Cougar/Contour to new platforms. Many do stick around because of the friends that have been made, and stay active and come to the events (just look at the "trolls" this year, THOSE are some of your "old school" members who stick around because they are still a part of the community). Many of the newer generation members are exactly as you mentioned, not so much wanting to build 400hp 3L monsters, but more learning from the ground up about the platform, keeping their cars running, and figuring out problems that may arise.

I have to say, I had a conversation with someone on Saturday at the show this year about how far the group has come, at least from the Cougar side. Back when I joined in 2004, it was all about body kits, SVT stuff, 3L hybrids, and legitimate SHOW cars (i.e. Crispy's orange/gray Cougar, and James' widebody). When I was walking around making my picks for the awards, I couldn't figure out just what was "Mild" and what was "Wild", because there was only ONE car that had a wild body kit. All the others, while some had kits, they were very subtle and looked like something that COULD come from the factory. There weren't outrageous stereos, full diamond-plated interiors, strobing neons and flashy underglow everywhere, etc. There would be a box with a 12" sub, maybe a couple 10's in others, relocated battery here and there, aftermarket HU's in a few cars, etc. There were probably half a dozen or more cars that looked like they could have just rolled off the assembly line, had hardly been "molested" at all.

The reason I'm saying all this? Both of these groups are dying in terms of the general population. Sure, you've got crazy bastards like me who drive 3,700 miles with no A/C in a rattle-canned gutted car, but that isn't a very good perception of either group as a whole. How much of a percentage are the members who have joined in the last 3 years, and ask questions like "why does my car lose power at 3500 rpms" or "why does my mechanic want $500 to replace my alternator"? They're not doing turbo'd 3L build threads, they're not building cars for NOPI Nationals, etc. If we insist on keeping the groups split apart, I can promise you that in 5 years, neither event will draw more than a dozen cars meant for the event (i.e. not counting the people who move on to other cars and bring those). The car enthusiast community as a whole is dying rapidly. Younger people are just kinda "meh" about cars now. They're not excited about them, many kids don't even care about getting their license anymore. And if those of us who ARE truly passionate about our cars, and this platform specifically, don't band together to keep the passion alive, and try to instill that passion in the younger members and younger generation, then both groups will just fade away into nothing.

There, off my soapbox, feel free to throw tomatoes as seen fit.

Being a newer member in here compared to most, and only having this car for about two years now, it is very upsetting to see about how the springzing is slowly dying out and winding down. A big part of that at least coming from my perspective is the fact that there are a low amount of contour SVTs made and the over abundance of cheaper non-svt contours. The contour has become a very much so 'beater car' in the eyes of many and the fact that the model never really had a long period during its svt phase causes it to not necessarily have the backing of like other models such as the mustang has. The contour is just cheap transportation to many and I always have to defend why I put so much work into a contour, but when they ride in my svt and open the throttle and take that hairpin turn they go damn i didnt know a ford could do that let alone a contour. Kids especially now a days just pick this car up for cheap and don't really have pride in their cars. I wish more of my friends did. So many of my friends barely know how to change a tire and if it doesn't look like some Eastern crap or be looking like a part of the fast and furious/need for speed generation, they just don't care. Most dismiss the contour as a not cool car.

With that being said I have always wanted to go to a springzing that was contours only, (i was honestly going to this year til my engine crapped and i was so upset thinking we may not get as big of a turn out in 2014 and ill never get that chance.). but if we can't get the turn out of cars like you all used too (due to so many being destroyed, not running, lack of time, or becoming garage queens and not getting out) maybe we should open out to our cousins in the cougar arena who have a longer time frame with a model and potentially more backing. Like maybe a biannual thing. Like all the odd years we party with the cougars (I like partying with cougars ;D ) and the even years we try to pull just the contours. I would def like to go this coming 2014 with my 3L baby I'm working on. Whether it be with cougars or not. Haha I will probably the youngest owner of an SVT contour there. I would like to see the tradition of trying to get CEG together, however it may happen, continue into the future. So ten years from now when I'm 29 I can throw antique plates on this thing and be able to meet up with people who still continue with the fun and passion that the contour has brought to me.

Haha I think it would be sad for me to book a hotel room for myself in the middle of nowhere and tell the desk clerk that I'm here for a contour gathering and it's only a party of one. The two a year gathering thing of just contours and the combined contour/cougar meet seems too much too me and financially hard and time consuming probably on others as well. I am all for preserving the tradition of Contour only gatherings but I feel we should also not alienate our cougar friends by completely locking each other out of gatherings. So maybe do an alternating year arrangement with the cougar group so they can keep their tradition of meeting only with their group one year and so can CEG, but then the next having a joint meet, that we start now when we have the chance, so we can branch out and preserve into the future our legacy, a friendship, and place to meet as the models and platform of both groups wither out and that the members that remain still have a place they can meet and go to and possibly call 'home'.

Just my thoughts... :)

Dang that was long!

I apologize to anyone who thought that was too long but thank anyone who actually took the time to read it lol. :crazy:

Zingfest2014 in Carlisle PA. Plenty of things to do in the area. Tracks within the area from 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile, shops with dyno's, Beer tours, etc. If we do it during all ford nationals, we can tag along with their 1/8 mile drag racing at south mountain, or we can go earlier in the week to Beaver springs and race 1/4 mile.

FYI - the "track day" mentioned earlier involves significantly longer tracks than 1/8 or 1/4 mile. They need to be 1.5 miles minimum, 2 or 2.5 miles preferred. and they need to have several corners and the start and finish lines are in the same place. :)

Checking for availability of places during the time frame, get prices with group discounts if possible, any groups rates for hotels as well as getting details on being able to get like a ceremony room, finding the different places to do things around the area. Kinda go from there

Anyone in the vicinity of Bowling Green, Kentucky? I spoke with a family today from that area and we got to talking about car shows, and they talked about how there are lots of car shows there and that the community is very friendly to the car community (Bowling Green is where the Corvette's are all made).

Zingfest2014 in Carlisle PA. Plenty of things to do in the area. Tracks within the area from 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile, shops with dyno's, Beer tours, etc. If we do it during all ford nationals, we can tag along with their 1/8 mile drag racing at south mountain, or we can go earlier in the week to Beaver springs and race 1/4 mile.

x2...NECO has already met in Harrisburg for one of their annual meets, Carlisle is 30 min. away and has the perfect venue for both groups to get together. Plus, the All-Ford Nationals is held in June...

Back