• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spec clutch fails in first 25 miles

Could they have picked a better spot for the IMRC? I dont think the spot where its at right now is all that bad. Sure the valve cover temps get hot, but its easy access and allows for easy cable movement. I suppose you could mount it underneath the battery tray or something, but then you sacrifice the easy access.

I highly doubt Ford designed those resistors to begin with. It would be pointless for them too, when they could just buy them from a manufacturer in large quantities instead of spending a million dollars to design them their selves. Ford realized the resistor problem, which is why you can get it fixed under recall for free like I said. No money out of your pocket.

So basically, your out $55 for a waterpump and $100 for an IMRC. Am i missing something here?

Where can you get an IMRC for $100? I bought mine from Bill Jenkinns and even with the CEG discount it cost me about $175. You cannot get a WP anywhere near where I was for $55. And even if I could I was 2000 Km away from home so fixing it myself wasnt an option. The waterpump alone costs $135 . Also Ford only warrantees the resistors for 8 years so there was another $35 dollars. Altogether these 3 things cost me close to $1000 . If I had been stupid enough to use the local Ford dealership the cost would have been closer to $1500 dollars . PS the Dealer wanted $525 for the IMRC alone

Where can you get an IMRC for $100? I bought mine from Bill Jenkinns and even with the CEG discount it cost me about $175. You cannot get a WP anywhere near where I was for $55. And even if I could I was 2000 Km away from home so fixing it myself wasnt an option. The waterpump alone costs $135 . Also Ford only warrantees the resistors for 8 years so there was another $35 dollars. Altogether these 3 things cost me close to $1000 . If I had been stupid enough to use the local Ford dealership the cost would have been closer to $1500 dollars . PS the Dealer wanted $525 for the IMRC alone

Dude, look around for better deals, and also don't complain about spending a few bucks. I got a perfect condition IMRC box for free from a CEG'er, and took about 10 minutes to install. Then I also bought my waterpump for $55 and took about 1 hour to install. And even if you did pay $1000, if it lasts you another 3 months it more than paid for itself.

Reebs

I only payed a little over $80 for mine with Y2KSVT's 20% discount, so that ends up being about $100 normal price from my local dealership.

Not really 20% discount. It's just employee price from Ford. I think you got a bit more than 20% off on that part. ;)

Mark

thanks for who ever cleared up the whole engine continuing to rev issue i was having. WTF do you mean stupidest this i've ever heard stazi i've seen your wanna be cosworth hood idea. however i was able to keep it to myself at the time.

i'm not intending to bioatch about my POS # 1619

all i'm saying is that every time i turn around somthing else breaks on the dam* thing. its broken more than any other car i've ever owned . ironicly its also the newest and most recent car i've ever bought and had the lowest miles when i bought it two years old with 39K miles i thought i was getting a great deal and the total package with SVT backing it up. however i later learn this was not the case. about every month when its not in the shop & or dealership for another problem.

like this months problem the heater only works when it wants to it seems to run its own program and will blow warm air for 5 min or so and then blow cold air untill i restart the car.

however this place is a super excellent mac daddy resource forum and has hlep me a great deal. people like demon and stazi on occasion really make the place great. Thanks again DEMONSVT that one sick car you've put together
i'm just saying i expected better from my SVT .

by the way another 4dr with a 6banger thats a bargain is the MK3 94-98 VW JETTA GLX which i happen to own a 1995 glx 5spd at the moment.

guess which one i spend more time driving ?

i found the IMRC box from my deal for $124 new i always seem to talk the parts counter into hooking me up with wholesale prices. if you paying retail i hate it for you. i have the old IMRC box if anyone needs the cable i think the gears or motor inside the box broke since it would only work once after starting the car and then continue to fail untill i restarted the car. i'll let it go for cheap IM me if interested unit has aout 45-50K miles on it. cable intact.

can't we all just get along where your christmas spirt ?

y'all take it easy

svtpapers001.jpg

Last edited:
Is this New Math or something? Last time I checked, 175 + 135 + 35 = 345. That's close to 1000? Even factoring in 2 resistors and 1 switch at 35 a pop and 2 IMRCs at 175, that still brings the total to 590. No where near a grand. :shrug:

As far as replacing parts, besides tires and oil (normal wear items) the only item I have had to replace out of my pocket has been one battery. Granted, I bought the car new in 98 and not used but it has been a bastion of reliability. Rock-solid since the start.

"by the way another 4dr with a 6banger thats a bargain is the MK3 94-98 VW JETTA GLX which i happen to own a 1995 glx 5spd at the moment. guess which one i spend more time driving ?"

Is the Jetta stock? I notice that you've got a mod list in your sig. I hope you aren't expecting the same reliability from a modded car (what ever the level of modification is) that you would from the car that actually left the Ford assembly line. Granted, clogged filters are one thing. Could be the gas station you go to has crap in its tanks, yes?. The water pump has a plastic impeller for less power drain on the engine. This was discussed eons ago. The newer plastic design does not break like the old one did. Any number of your mods, while not necessarily creating some of your peeves could have assisted them. Your original complaint about the clutch - I hear that stock SVT clutches are the way to go if you aren't running FI. What I'm saying is that sometimes we go out of our way to create the problems we have. If you insist in going aftermarket, I think you need to expect a certain level of unreliability. End of sermon.
Karl

"by the way another 4dr with a 6banger thats a bargain is the MK3 94-98 VW JETTA GLX which i happen to own a 1995 glx 5spd at the moment. guess which one i spend more time driving ?"

Is the Jetta stock? I notice that you've got a mod list in your sig. I hope you aren't expecting the same reliability from a modded car (what ever the level of modification is) that you would from the car that actually left the Ford assembly line. Granted, clogged filters are one thing. Could be the gas station you go to has crap in its tanks, yes?. The water pump has a plastic impeller for less power drain on the engine. This was discussed eons ago. The newer plastic design does not break like the old one did. Any number of your mods, while not necessarily creating some of your peeves could have assisted them. Your original complaint about the clutch - I hear that stock SVT clutches are the way to go if you aren't running FI. What I'm saying is that sometimes we go out of our way to create the problems we have. If you insist in going aftermarket, I think you need to expect a certain level of unreliability. End of sermon.
Karl

wow... well said!

Did the person that originally started this thread ever find out if they had the wrong TOB? Last I read the trans. was being pulled and that's all I could find after we all went off topic.

Back