• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spec clutch fails in first 25 miles

No i've stuck my foot under the accelerator while driving and pushed it up and the motor continues to rev. however it didn't happen at all today during lunch.

BTW yes the 2000 CSVT is a total POS. dont even get me started on the plastic water pump perpeller which cost me an engine at 42K original miles.
just about everything has broken on this POS csvt. yes , while everything is in 100% working order its a great car however when its no which is most of the time its a total POS like the fuel pump filter that crapped out at 48K miles and would make the car drive like total $hit over 4K rpms. i even got smoked buy a chevy cavilar Z24 during that period.

so i have sunk about 10K aside from the car payments into this POS. CSVT suck .

screw ford !!!

besides the 98 may very well be the better car but the 2000 model year definitly got the short end of the stick, oh yea the brakes are not well matched to the 2000 csvt . pretty much stock contour brakes with larger rotors. but since they dont use the larger 98 model brake pads WTF.

now my spec stage one clutch kit is acting crazy. the engine will continue to rev with the clutch fully depressed. is happening more frequently now.

How would a clutch cause your engine to rev when its disengaged? I agree with everyone else, symptons sound exactly like a bad IAC.

symptons sound exactly like a bad IAC.

I think the symptoms sound more like a bloody tampon of an owner. Whaaaaah, I bought a used car and expect it to be perfect, I'm gonna cry about it! :cry: Grow a pair, and fix your problems. Your engine blew because of the waterpump going out? Why did you run the motor if it was overheating? The fuel pump got clogged up, do you think the CSVT is the first car to have a fuel pump go out? Seriously, if you can't afford the repairs, have fun with that Lexus. :blackeye: The sympathy wagon just left, you can still catch it if you run!

Mark

everything has been repaired more than one in some cases.

my point is that its one thing after another with this POS csvt. i can't seem to drive the damn thing for a month without something else breaking or clogging.

its got decent power for what it is
handles fairly well for a fwd
look sharp

other than that its a head ach.

ford or the bean counters really droped the ball on the 2000 csvt.
lol
what a crok of oh yea cant seem to say that.

i'm not intending to start a flame here

ford 2k csvt is a POS period

who cares how much i've sunk into this POS its just money.

Funny, I drive........ THE EXACT SAME CAR!! 2000 CSVT. Would I consider it a pos? Nope! Everything I've broken, has been from my own abuse. Actually, this car has handled a LOT more abuse than I would have imagined. Sorry yours has been so neglected.

Mark

I bought my car new almost 6 years ago and the only problems I've had have been the fuel pump, dash warp, and now my AC clutch. I've driven the car fairly hard at times and it has almost 100K miles on it. IMO, the very few issues I've had with it certainly doesn't lead me to believe it's a POS. In fact, as much as I want a new car I still can't bring myself to move on lol. If you're so unhappy then quit your whining, sell your so called POS, and find another forum to cry to.

Funny, I drive........ THE EXACT SAME CAR!! 2000 CSVT. Would I consider it a pos? Nope! Everything I've broken, has been from my own abuse. Actually, this car has handled a LOT more abuse than I would have imagined. Sorry yours has been so neglected.

Mark
My 00 SVT must be bad too using his illogical rantings. :shrug: I wonder how that makes 99.3% of the other cars on the road that are slower in both acceleration and braking and are no where near as close in handling then??? Oh yeah we have 4 doors as well. My bad...

Don't get me wrong there have been a few things chronically wrong with the CDW-27 but when compared to the other vehicles available it really is in the upper echelon. Then when you consider what you can buy one for now they are a steal comparably, especially the SVT.

While I wouldnt call my Contour (96 V6 LX)a POS it is far from being a great car. Generally though I think its fairly reliable if maintained.

In the 1.5 years that I've owned this car I've replaced the IMRC, 2 heater resistors and 1 switch, a waterpump, spark plugs, manifold gaskets,refilled AC twice. Most of which has gone wrong with this car is directly related to some Ford designed in stupidity or oversight.

Its frustrating because I'd rather spend my money on upgrades (BAT handling kit, headers ETC). Fortunately I've been able fix most of the stuff myself and this site is a godsend for a DIYer.

Enduro, this is the problem with your logic. You aren't distinguishing between a brand new car, and your 10 year old car. When you buy a car that's nearly 10 years old, things will go wrong. If an IMRC, some resistors, a couple of gaskets, and a waterpump are all that you've had go wrong, I'd say you're doing alright! How can you complain about replacing spark plugs? :confused: This is regular maintenance stuff that a lot of cars need as well. I've owned a few older cars, and none of them being nearly perfect. Trust me, it's not only Ford that has a bad design here and there.

Mark

Regardless, I'm sure you spent less than $299/month in the car -- what you would have to pay to lease or buy new... I'd rather have an older car and maintain it then high monthly payments for a new car.. But that's my opinion.

Enduro, this is the problem with your logic. You aren't distinguishing between a brand new car, and your 10 year old car. When you buy a car that's nearly 10 years old, things will go wrong. If an IMRC, some resistors, a couple of gaskets, and a waterpump are all that you've had go wrong, I'd say you're doing alright! How can you complain about replacing spark plugs? :confused: This is regular maintenance stuff that a lot of cars need as well. I've owned a few older cars, and none of them being nearly perfect. Trust me, it's not only Ford that has a bad design here and there.

Mark

I thought the same thing. Spark plugs and refilling the AC is typical maintenance. Thats like blaming that you have to change the oil. The plastic impellar waterpump I can agree on. Not a good design, but a $55 fix, I wouldnt complain about. The IMRC I've never had any problems. Although I did break mine when I accidently dropped it on the driveway. I guess some pepole would say thats Fords fault for not designing it to withstand that sort of abuse even though the reason it broke was because of me. Resistors, most of them are covered under recall. Gaskets are basically free. I say youve done really well.

Mark

I guess you sort of misunderstood my post . I dont mind having to pay for routine maintenance and I expect parts to wear out.

My point is that most of the stuff that has failed IMO is more because of a design flaw than the age of the vehicle. Did it ever occur to Ford that a plastic impeller WP was a bad idea?. Could they have picked a worse spot for the IMRC? How hard is it to design a proper resistor?

And dont get me wrong, I do like my Contour. It handles nicely, is fairly quiet and you can get a V6 for a great price. Its just frustrating because Contours could have been so much better.

I guess you sort of misunderstood my post . I dont mind having to pay for routine maintenance and I expect parts to wear out.

My point is that most of the stuff that has failed IMO is more because of a design flaw than the age of the vehicle. Did it ever occur to Ford that a plastic impeller WP was a bad idea?. Could they have picked a worse spot for the IMRC? How hard is it to design a proper resistor?

And dont get me wrong, I do like my Contour. It handles nicely, is fairly quiet and you can get a V6 for a great price. Its just frustrating because Contours could have been so much better.

Could they have picked a better spot for the IMRC? I dont think the spot where its at right now is all that bad. Sure the valve cover temps get hot, but its easy access and allows for easy cable movement. I suppose you could mount it underneath the battery tray or something, but then you sacrifice the easy access.

I highly doubt Ford designed those resistors to begin with. It would be pointless for them too, when they could just buy them from a manufacturer in large quantities instead of spending a million dollars to design them their selves. Ford realized the resistor problem, which is why you can get it fixed under recall for free like I said. No money out of your pocket.

So basically, your out $55 for a waterpump and $100 for an IMRC. Am i missing something here?

Hmmm, a POS? Lets see, I've got 139,000 on the original clutch, original water pump, (TOB replaced @28,000 under warrenty) five sets of tires, two sets of brakes, (rebuilt or replaced all the calipers this time) second fuel pump, Brullen exhaust, (my choice original was fine) second set of struts and springs, second dashboard, (warrenty) one set 17' FSVT wheels, (again my choice not nessesary) and a bunch of sensors replaced around the 110,000 mark. I've not had a car payment since December 2003. I do regular maintenence on it and drive the snot out of it. Without violating forum rules I will say I take the Florida turnpike between Yeehaw Junction and Fort Lauderdale on my weekly trips to Miami and I usually run that section under 1.25 hours with a fuel stop. Mapquest it. It's not babied, and although I rarely pull a holeshot with it, I do reguarly get a nice spin in second and chirp third.
If you can find a better FWD four door platform that doesn't cost a bunch new and to maintain, I'm all ears.
Bearing in mind a 10 year old M5 Beemer still costs more than the 16K I paid for mine new.

Jim T.

Back