• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sound insulation panel under hood - good or bad idea?

I guess my biggest question is does this insulation panel interfere with the proper dissipation of heat from the engine? Could it actually harm the engine or engine performance by trapping in heat?
You've got to ask yourself, "would the factory actually install something that would harm the car?" I'd have to say no they wouldn't. I can't name one instance when a car manufacturer sabotaged one of their products. Sure there have been some poor designs down through the years but that's a lot different than setting out from the start to make a product unsafe, Ralph Nader notwithstanding. :rolleyes:
Karl

I've been thinking of removing my hoodliner (96 contour) eventually and putting a real sound deadener in selective spots . Either the stuff such as B-quiet sells or something similar.

I just read on BAT websight, that removing the hoodliner insulation helps air flow and lower temps to the intake. :shrug: sounds weird to me but maybe its possible. more space under the hood to be sucked up for better flow.... and then i guess maybe the insulation can trap in heat. so that may be just enough motivation for me to remove mine :ponder:

Yes.

That's exactly what I was looking for. If there's even a chance that the the insulation could impair engine performance, then I'm not going to take a chance.

Thanks everyone for your input.

You've got to ask yourself, "would the factory actually install something that would harm the car?" I'd have to say no they wouldn't. I can't name one instance when a car manufacturer sabotaged one of their products. Sure there have been some poor designs down through the years but that's a lot different than setting out from the start to make a product unsafe, Ralph Nader notwithstanding. :rolleyes:
Karl

No they wouldn't install something that would harm the car, but a lot of the time they do things that restrict and hamper the potential performance of the car. Why else do people put on larger exhausts, intakes, etc. The ones that came with the factory worked, but the ones people put on later work better.

I can appreciate the feeling that the factory doesn't always install the best parts but then again, with all the complaining about how expensive cars are these days, well, you can't have everything. You can probably make that argument for just about any make of car. As far as the 5W-20 oil goes, unless there is any evidence that it is harmful over the long haul, then what can you say? We'll just have to wait and see.
Karl

I can appreciate the feeling that the factory doesn't always install the best parts but then again, with all the complaining about how expensive cars are these days, well, you can't have everything. You can probably make that argument for just about any make of car. As far as the 5W-20 oil goes, unless there is any evidence that it is harmful over the long haul, then what can you say? We'll just have to wait and see.
Karl

But we weren't talking about the costs....

Back