• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

so, i took my car to mechanic...

Sure. I was commenting more on how he made it sound like they couldnt be regapped. Putting in fresh plugs is always the safe bet.

i agree with you guys. but if you noted i changed the plugs and cables a month or two ago, and the coil pack 2 weeks ago. now i regapped the plugs (they can be regapped easily) and car runs fine for now. I changed the bad plugs that i think were giving me the trouble. i also got the gauge for compression test. I will do the test asap when i have some extra time during daylight and will report the results. just our of curiosity, what compression values should i expect to see from a csvt? i am sure given that the car is old, compression will be a little less that original specs, but i have not clue what should i expect...

I have not taken a compression test on my car so I can only comment on what I remember reading from other posters. It seems like they reported 220 lbs. If someone has actually taken the readings, please speak up.

That said, it is more critical to see how the questionable cylinders compare to a good cylinder. Different gauges and different mechanics may have different results.

...That said, it is more critical to see how the questionable cylinders compare to a good cylinder. Different gauges and different mechanics may have different results.

Yes, stick to the difference from a good cylinder to the questionable one. And report your results here.

OK guys. Sorry it took me so long to do this, but I just had a chance to do the motor's compression test on my csvt.

so iirc the cylinders run in this order:

123 - firewall side
456 - front of car
right?

so here are the results:
1 - 170psi
2 - 174psi
3 - 175psi
4 - 180psi
5 - 180psi
6 - 183psi

these were dont at a warm (but not hot engine) with all plugs out. I didnt bother opening the TB as I have red somewhere before. To test the 3rd cyl I had to remove the EGR solenoid because it was on my way. So are these normal for an 98 SVT with 132k miles? are they pretty consistent?

the gauge that i used had a rubber hose and at the end was a plug that was supposed to screw into the block...however for some reason it didnt work. it didnt want to screw into either one of the plug holes. So the gauge had another attachment which looked like a long pipe with a cylindrical rubber at the end. I had to place this pipe all the way down to the plug's whole and apply pressue on it by hand. Does that seam realistic or did i do it wrong?

Any advise is welcome as the plugs are still out of the car. I will put them back in 30 min or so, when the engine cools down more.
Thanks

hmm. that's what i hoped someone will say. so is it safe to assume that i have no head gasket failure? :) considering of course the test was done the right way, which i am not too sure...since it was the first time i did it.

Back