• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Should I keep what I have or "upgrade"?

are you master of audio as well as 3.0l's? There is nothing wrong with kicker gear as long as you find it for the right price that is.

Wow. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that Kickers aren't the highest quality out there. They are competent at best. You even admitted yourself that you need to get a deal on them for it to pay off.

If I weren't married, I would buy this. i even offered to trade the wife for it.:laugh:

rocket, I know you want to say big numbers when talking to people, but if you want a great amp, i'd bet lots of money you won't be sad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-POWER...iers?hash=item2ea783ff62&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

He doesn't give a damn what others think remember!? Numbers don't mean crap. One of the best systems I've ever heard was actually in a Merkur xr4ti with 4 8's in 2 small boxes in a v-formation with some kind of plexi-glass shield over the top of the V to deflect the sound. I dont remember what kind they were or what they were powered by. But I was absolutly blown away and impressed. Its all about the build and what equipment you have, not the #'s or how it looks.
And Getsum111, either your wife has some pretty tight reigns on you, or your giving her away for pretty damn cheap. What was the response to the trade offer? At least hold out for a BP1000.1

And Getsum111, either your wife has some pretty tight reigns on you, or your giving her away for pretty damn cheap. What was the response to the trade offer? At least hold out for a BP1000.1

Well, she is a 1970 model. Functionally; she still works well, but cosmetically, she does show the normal bumps and scraps from 22 years of use. I'd give her an 8/10.:laugh:

Boy, am I ever glad she's not a member.:laugh:

On a serious note, my brother used to run 3 JL 8's in his s-10 years ago (That was a fun install.:rolleyes::laugh:), and don't remember which amp powered them, but they sounded much better than I had expected from a smaller sub.

Dang this thread, makes me long for the good old days.:laugh:

If I weren't married, I would buy this. i even offered to trade the wife for it.:laugh:

rocket, I know you want to say big numbers when talking to people, but if you want a great amp, i'd bet lots of money you won't be sad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-POWER...iers?hash=item2ea783ff62&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That's what I'm using now and I don't think I could ever bring myself to switch them out. Unfortunately, like carpepoon said there's many people who don't care what you tell them. They just want their "4000 watt" Audiobahn amp lol.

On a serious note, my brother used to run 3 JL 8's in his s-10 years ago (That was a fun install.:rolleyes::laugh:), and don't remember which amp powered them, but they sounded much better than I had expected from a smaller sub.

Dang this thread, makes me long for the good old days.:laugh:

Agreed, thinking of the good old days. Damn, I guess I'm showing my age lol. I would kill to have my old school US Amps again!

That's what I'm using now and I don't think I could ever bring myself to switch them out. Unfortunately, like carpepoon said there's many people who don't care what you tell them. They just want their "4000 watt" Audiobahn amp lol.

Been there, done that. When my old MTX Thunder series amp died, I went on e-bay and got a Sony Xplod XM-450, which, on paper, looked great. 4x50 rms, etc. But when I bridged it to run my sub, it overheated. EVERY TIME!!!:mad: Sent it back to Sony, and they sent me a XM475. I thought, yippee!!!! Now I got 4x75 rms. Well, it was a piece of crap, too, but it did put on a really cool smoke screen, just like spy hunter. :laugh:

Agreed, thinking of the good old days. Damn, I guess I'm showing my age lol.

Same here, the days of trying to find a remote area where I could crank adjust my competition system without pissing people off. I used to go park behind a warehouse in a remote area afterhours wihen nobody was around.
I like these days better though, my system is now just for me in the car, I like being able to adjust 15 different settings on my sub amp right from my head unit. It sounds just as good as my competition system did, with much better SQ and without the need to exceed 140db.

Ok WHOA i was not able to be on a computer for about 3days i think it was. And this thread exploded!!! :crazy::crazy: I am posting this before looking at all the links all of you gave out so i don't lose my thought trail or go insane. Just needed to type this or some thing out will post again after all links have been looked at and taken into consideration.

good new amps (that I know of) for a 13w7 and 12w7. The recommended power for a 13w7 is 750-1000w, for a 12w7 500-750w (sorry, I overstated above)
Remeber that a JL audio 13w7 has dual 1.5ohm coils. so your wiring options are a .75ohm or a 3ohm load. The 12W7 is a single 3ohm coil, thus a 3 ohm load. I would only do a 3ohm load with these in a single sub configuration. If you got to .75ohm your going to be stressing the hell out of your electical system and working up a ton of heat. I don't even know of an amp these days that is rated below 1ohm stable.
JL Audio 1000/1 v2 for the 13w7
Hifonics Brutus BXI 2010D for the 13w7 or BXI 1610D for the 12w7 Maxxsonics Crunch (same company as Hifonics) P1500.1 for the 12w7. they don't make anything big enough for the 13w7
Kicker zx1000.1 for the 12w7 Zx1500.1 for the 13w7
Alpine MRP-M1000 for the 12w7, the next step up is overkill for both subs.

Theres a short list, I'm sure others can add to it.

Your best deal would be on the Maxxsonics brands (hifonics and Crunch).

Ok first off thanks alot for every thing so far. And sorry if i sound like a moron who never learns but you lost me when you said: so your wiring options are a .75ohm or a 3ohm load. The 12W7 is a single 3ohm coil, thus a 3 ohm load. I would only do a 3ohm load with these in a single sub configuration. The only part i understood was only do a 3ohm load and i don't even know how/what to do to get that. And you talked me into the JL 13W7 and the Hifonics amp. Here are links to what i believe i would like to get. Any help with prices or "yea id go with that" would be appreciated.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17654_Hifonics+BXi+2010D.html

Also would i need to cool it some how?

Thanks alot every one.

As much as I like the JL 13W7, you might want to seriously consider the 13av.2 from Elemental Designs. It has similar specs and it's $200.00 less. It also has a 5 year warranty. You could also get the nine.1 amp from Elemental Designs for $195.00. This amp will produce 1200 watts rms into a 1 ohm load. This would be a fine setup for a total of $545.00. You definitely can't go wrong with the JL 13W7 but I honestly think this setup would be very comparable at a much cheaper price. With the money you save, you could have ED build you a custom enclosure for the sub and you would still have money left over.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=554

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=44

Check out this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgSE3YVKRY

The MB Quart Discus series seems like a pretty solid choice for a class D amp. Either the 1500.1d or 2000.1d, class d circuits, good construction, large fuses to support the claimed power. I have been looking at either of these or a Hifonics Brutus when I upgrade my system. I have the Crunch P1500.1 that Carpe reccommended and it has held up well but it gets pretty warm when I run my volume at 35/40, but thats really slammin. You are better off sending more rms to the speaker than they are rated because it makes the amp work less.

The MB Quart Discus series seems like a pretty solid choice for a class D amp. Either the 1500.1d or 2000.1d, class d circuits, good construction, large fuses to support the claimed power. I have been looking at either of these or a Hifonics Brutus when I upgrade my system. I have the Crunch P1500.1 that Carpe reccommended and it has held up well but it gets pretty warm when I run my volume at 35/40, but thats really slammin. You are better off sending more rms to the speaker than they are rated because it makes the amp work less.

Every brand you recommended is owned by Maxxsonics. Hifonics, Crunch and MB Quart I believe share all the same technology and circuitry. Your heat is because you're running at 1ohm.

My PPI A300.2 running at 4 ohms gets so hot I swear you could cook a steak on it lol. It will never shut down Muuaahhhhhh

Any updates? Did you get your new stuff? I haven't heard any questions about box building.

No have not gotten any new stuff yet.. Hopefully will soon i will just piece it together as i go. So how about box building? I guess i could use a few good tips/tricks. And as for trunk space i could careless about it.

Back