• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sean's CSVT #5906 Build Thread !

Sorry to hear about this too Sean. Car was actually really a nice car too. Sad to see such expensive parts just get thrown in!

Sorry to hear about this too Sean. Car was actually really a nice car too. Sad to see such expensive parts just get thrown in!

thanks, yeah i know.....but once its done this time, it will be better than before :)

Sucks that quality parts got ruined in such a bad way, but too late now right...at least this time ill know exactly whats been done, and the quality of work put into it is very good/well done....I feel bad for Aaron too since he paid quite a bit for this all, and the way its turned out isnt worth it

So with it being Easter weekend, I will not have much time to do work, but Im trying to squeeze in time whenever i can. Yesterday, I got my engine on a stand finally, and also sanded and primered my towers for a respray. Over the years they had gotten pretty beat up (paint wise) and looked pretty bad so I figured while the motors out, why not.

100_0881.jpg

100_0877.jpg

100_0878.jpg

100_0883.jpg

100_0879.jpg

Later today Im going to be spraying them, so maybe tonight or tomorrow ill have some updated pics of that. Tomorrow also i plan on having my motor torn down for good, so I will know what i need to do to get it all sent out and redone.

Im also waiting on a new Spec 9lb flywheel, and another little exterior mod. :)

ok so i had some time before i have to leave for dinner so i sprayed the bay! results:

100_0896.jpg

100_0899.jpg

100_0894.jpg

100_0895.jpg

Not bad for only $10 or so! Super glossy too, and no clearcoat! All I did was lightly sand and wetsand it, coats of automotive primer ($4) and 3 coats of gloss black paint ($5). Next order of work is the teardown, so check back soon!

Not surprised seeing the blown seals with the kinked pcv hose you found. Engine probably built up a ton of crank case pressure and blew a bunch of internal seals. Was probably fine before that.

Agreed there! Good thing I won't cut corners like someone did. I reaaaaally hope to have it done by late June or July, so that's my current timeline. today I will find out how my rod bearings look, so ill snap some pics for everyone.

So I'm away at my 2nd easter dinner but ill give a non-photo update until tonight. Got the rest of the motor apart today...results are in! The road bearings are...........mint! No scorring, none are spun or damaged..but the crank is heatscorred. It was shiny blue on the polished areas so I'm hoping its still good enough to clean up. Rings are all good, wrsitpins seemed good and had no unusual noises or play.

So what we figured out was basically the kinked PCV hose as Beans said, all the crankcase pressure was blocked because of that and it started to heat up inside so badly it heatscorred the crank..the oil must have gotten so hot it started to dissapear, and finally blew a valveseat and stopped cylinder 1 (closest to brakebooster at the firewall) to stop firing, and started caking the exhaust port, valves, etc in thick oil/sludge. As it built up and got hot, this probably caused the smoking as it got very hot..

So the block looks good, going to send my crank and heads in to the machineshop and see what's up (in better detail) and get it fixed. Then me and my buddy will slap it back together properly this time and she will be good to go. With that said, does anyone have info on the foot lbs for the head bolts, rods caps, etc for a 3L? If not ill have to look online tonight as I'm on my Blackberry now.
That leaves me to figure out a clutch and she will be back on the street terrorizing the locals :D

Yeah, why not. The block is perfectly fine, I don't need to touch it. Once you see pics you will see how it looks too

Not going to save any money, if anything its going to cost way more than buying a 400-500$ jy block.

Once you figure the cost of the machine work/bearings/pump/gaskets/bolts & Hardware I'd guess double that. Unless you plan on some upgraded pistons/rods while your in there.

Either case looks like your taking your time and doing it right, keep it up.

No upgraded internals for now. I MAY be doing something in the next few weeks that will solve my motor problem, so keep checking back :).

Not going to save any money, if anything its going to cost way more than buying a 400-500$ jy block.

Once you figure the cost of the machine work/bearings/pump/gaskets/bolts & Hardware I'd guess double that. Unless you plan on some upgraded pistons/rods while your in there.

Either case looks like your taking your time and doing it right, keep it up.
How is he to know if the JY block is any good? What if he gets a dud? $500 OTD then. Might as well fix this one since he knows it is good and make it better!

Change of plans...........................

This motor i just tore down will now be my "build" .....

My new "plan" will be revealed in a couple weeks once I have possesion....man am I excited! On a side note, my new Spec friction plate arrived yesterday!

222860_10150582277135724_655925723_18484125_1476057_n.jpg

222912_10150582277760724_655925723_18484132_967914_n.jpg

And then today, another little part came, some tinted Audi A6 sidemarkers!

216542_10150582285935724_655925723_18484241_4807067_n.jpg

Rainy weather, so I figured Id cut my fenders for the sidemarkers! Scary lol...masked off tape to level the cut, and then used a dremel with a grinding bit to enlargen the hole so the lense tube fits. This allowed me to see how far i needed to cut. So then I put on a cutting wheel to cut horizontal lines at the top and bottom of the holes (under the 24v badges). then i looked how far and cut the correct distance...then I put the grinding bit back on and slowly grinded the edges with me testfitting the lenses for a perfect fit. For the lenses, I dremel'd off the raised plastic to make it all smooth. The metal clip came out with pliers and light wiggling, then it was just a matter of taking time to get everything else smooth. After the fenders were cut and grinded good, I painted the exposed metal with touchup so it wont rust. Blackberry photos, so excuse the blurryness lol.

IMG00242-20110501-1520.jpg

IMG00240-20110501-1518.jpg

IMG00241-20110501-1518.jpg

IMG00239-20110501-1518.jpg

test fit...

IMG00233-20110430-1604.jpg

Back