• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sand Da Floors!

ElKy

Has Nutz Bigger than Yours. Want Proof?
thats what i did last Sunday. it was over 90° up stairs while i was doing it.
the worst part is the edge sander kept gumming up within 15 seconds of use.
so i am going to have to figure out something to sand the edges.

on to the pics.

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

floor4.jpg

floor5.jpg

That house keeps looking better every day.

So how much wood did you sand off? ;)

If you can get a straight line between the finished/unrefinished edges, you might not have to do the edges. I think it looks pretty cool as is, personally. It shows both the history and age of the wood, while not looking disgusting.

:shocked: WOW
seriously, holy :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing wow!
who knew such gorgeous floors were under there.

yeah, i think they will look great with about 4 coats of poly on them.
i wish i could have gotten the second floor to lighten up more, but it was rock hard and was putting up a good fight.
i took almost an 1/8" off the first floor to get rid of some deep gouges.

Matty,
when i got done, the first thing jess said was "Matty will love it when he sees these floors!"

i actually thought about leaving the edges for a different look, but it really is ugly in person.

heh, she knows me well :)
I can see in person it might look crappy. In your pics it almost looks like those artsy-fartsy custom floors you see in super expensive homes. A light sanding would get rid of surface scratches at least.
You know I would leave it though :)

:shocked: WOW
seriously, holy :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing wow!
who knew such gorgeous floors were under there.

Was there carpet on top of them? If not I need to :troutslap: you. The wife is the same way....she never sees the potential in a place and it bugs the heck out of me. Sure it takes work to make some stuff look good again, but it is normally worth it.

the floors did not have carpet on them.
you just couldn't tell how nice they were until all the crap was taken off them.
if those floors were put in when the house was built, they have about 100 years worth of stuff on them.

doug, the drum sander wasn't too bad, my back was a little sore the next day, but what else is new?

I refinished the floor in Kailyn's room when setting the room. It was carpeted and we did not know there was hardwood underneath until we pulled the carpet. The floor was waxed not varnished so it ate through about 15-20 sanding sheets just on the 60 grit. The hallway and our bedroom also have hardwood under the carpet and I want to do those a well. It is going to be tough to keep the dust down in the hallway and we don't want Kailyn to be exposed to it.

I can't see the pics at work. I'll check them out tonight.

steve, you didnt start with 60 grit did you?
i started with 20 grit, then went to 36 grit, then 60, then 100
amazingly i only used 3 sheets of the 20 and 36 and one sheet of the 60 and 100 total between the two rooms.

My mistake. It was 36 grit. I did not see 20 grit the place I rented from. 36 was the lowest. I used 36, 80, 100. I didn't use that many of the 80 and 100. It was the wax that tore the crap out 36 grit. Once the wax was gone it was smoooooth(pun intended) sailing!

From personal experience I would not use the high build poly like I did. I took waaaay too long to dry. Granted it was winter, but it was longer than any of the other stories I read. When I do our bedroom I will be using the fast drying.

any time you have hard wood floors in a house, regardless of how dirty they are (unless they are rotten) - there's sure to be a beautiful floor underneath there somewhere!

my uncle just re-did a few rooms in his house, ripped up the carpet, etc. He put down laminate flooring over the hardwood floors that were under the carpet! I begged and pleaded with him to just rent a sander and refinish the floors. hell, i even offered to do the labor for him! and he still went with the laminate! it would have taken a little time...but int he end would have been much cheaper and IMO left him with something that looked a lot better. not that i have anything against laminate flooring...but i'd never pick it over a REAL hardwood floor!

any time you have hard wood floors in a house, regardless of how dirty they are (unless they are rotten) - there's sure to be a beautiful floor underneath there somewhere!

my uncle just re-did a few rooms in his house, ripped up the carpet, etc. He put down laminate flooring over the hardwood floors that were under the carpet! I begged and pleaded with him to just rent a sander and refinish the floors. hell, i even offered to do the labor for him! and he still went with the laminate! it would have taken a little time...but int he end would have been much cheaper and IMO left him with something that looked a lot better. not that i have anything against laminate flooring...but i'd never pick it over a REAL hardwood floor!

That's is funny. I was tearing up the carpet in Kailyn's room in order to put down laminate. As soon as I saw that it was hardwood underneath I said that there was no way I could put laminate over real hardwood and decided to try my hand a refinishing.

after 6 months of doing nothing, i finally had some time to put the finish on the first room.
5 coats of satin finish poly resulted in this....
floor6.JPG

floor7.JPG

to make comparison easier:
floor3.jpg

now i just have to put the trim up and its on to the next room.

not too bad for my first time.
i have learned a few things in case i am ever stoopid enough to attempt this again.
and yes, the cat is stoked that he can walk in there now.

Back