• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rwd contour svt

ok 4.6 motor and trans from junkyard and exploder rear end with disk brakes 1500 bucks...
a buddy of mine to do my fab work tube chassis and labor 1000 bucks...
contour built trans 1800....
contour turbo kit like 4 grand probably plus the 3l another 500

ok 4.6 motor and trans from junkyard and exploder rear end with disk brakes 1500 bucks...

So you were just planning on running the trans thru the steering rack then???? Yeah, that'll work. :rolleyes: Stop talking untill you're done with the project or you've at least done your homework.

~Josh

Countless hours is all i have to say.If you have the time and the MONEY.I would say go for it.You have the motor and trans?Now you need to figure out just how your going to make it all fit.

Why not swap in a drop in crate cobra jet motor, 500hp 500tq. It would only cost you 15k to do it all.

The only thing that sux about a rwd conversion is that you loose you trunk and you have an ugle engine bay.

Okay, so this guy does all the work for cheap. FWIW, I dont even think you could do the roll cage and frame reinforcing for $1000 in parts. I bet thats nearly double that.

We might as well compare apples to apples then. There are people on here than can make a turbo kit for about $2500 that will easily make 300 hp. We already know you dont need a 3L to make 300 hp.

Btw, you still left with engine management which is going to require all the wiring harnesses or standalone. Dont forget about the new suspension your going to need for the heavy motor in the front and now the new rear end.

Last edited:
Forget about the RWD thing. Mustangs, Crown Vics, T-Birds, etc. have solid frames unlike the unibody contour. That kind of power to the rear wheels would twist and compress the car in ways you don't want to imagine.

Of the three cars you listed only one has a solid frame, the Crown Vic. The Mustang and T-Bird are both unibody cars just like the Contour. On the topic of twisting the Contour frame if my Mustang Vert can handle 300lb. ft. of torque then the Tour could.

But was the contour setup from factory to handle RWD TQ??.Nope.It was setup to handle FWD TQ..Thats the least of the concerns.First you need to figure out how your going to fit a v-8 in the car and where that transmission is going.Im thinking your goin have to cut some of the firewall.Then after you get everything in place then support the rear end.ETC.4link?.Somthing of that nature.

why is everyone so hellbent on using a FR v8 set up?

Why not take a page out of the Volkswagen communitys book and do a mid mounted rwd duratec, i think it would end up being alot easier..... mount a new front subframe to the rear, motor and trans, two front coil overs etc. The roof / trunkline might pose a problem but i mean.... you're already putting motor in the rear of the car, whats that going to stop you ;)

scrapped the rwd v8 svt contour plan

scrapped the rwd v8 svt contour plan

north carolina emissions wont pass my v8 contour svt
dang i was looking forward to that too...
looks like if i has a 95 contour it would pass....
im gonna go find a 95 ranger put my money with the 4.6 into it
little easier its already rear drive

north carolina emissions wont pass my v8 contour svt
dang i was looking forward to that too...
looks like if i has a 95 contour it would pass....
im gonna go find a 95 ranger put my money with the 4.6 into it
little easier its already rear drive

Excuses are like *******s. Sounds like you're taking the 'easy' way out after you finally realized how much work its going to be. Have fun with your ghetto danger ranger

Hilarious, considering

1) I dont own a ranger
2) I really dont know anything about homosexuality or being an "ass ranger" Why dont you tell us all about it?

Back