• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RP RSTB kit

Yeah knowing what you're getting into at the time of purchase is the main thing for me, as I planned the install for a specific night and didn't have access to suitable fabrication equipment to modify. Obviously the bar should be shorter as delivered based on these testimonials, but I think end user drill-to-fit would be reasonable to maintain the integrity of the design.

Now that I've gotten mine to fit, on to my pictures.

Instead of painting the drilled holes in the body, I chose to use a silicone gasket maker on each hole of the brackets on both sides, sandwiching the body to seal out moisture.

0730012017.jpg

Backing plate hung in the wheel well from a backwards-threaded bolt as per suggested procedure:

0730012019.jpg

Visible evidence that the holes are sealed as the excess is squeezed out:

0730012053.jpg

The inner end plates:

0730012030.jpg

0730012054.jpg

After some grinding of the bar and finagling to get all the bolts to go through the brackets and bar, it's in:

HPIM1856.jpg

HPIM1859.jpg

Ben installation looks really good. Thanks for posting pics.

So you guys would have been willing to cut/grind the bars for your width and drill holes in the cross brace? Obviously if I sent the cross brace shorter you can't lengthen it for the cars that need it (like mine and gomach1 for instance) so I don't see that as being a great option.

I'm thinking the best way to resolve this issue, would be to require the end user to make the measurement on their trunk and supply that to me. Then I would cut the cross brace to length (subtracting out the brackets) and then drilling the holes based on that dimension. This would require a longer lead time to get the RSTB, but at least it would be customized so to speak to your particular car and guarantee proper fitment everytime.

I would agree with you Mike. Just have to make sure that they move the carpeting and unload the rear suspension when they measure. If you had more accurate measurements do you think you would leave all of the mounting holes 1/2" or drop the tolerance and use a 3/8" holes? I think that would provide the most rigid install.

I would agree with you Mike. Just have to make sure that they move the carpeting and unload the rear suspension when they measure. If you had more accurate measurements do you think you would leave all of the mounting holes 1/2" or drop the tolerance and use a 3/8" holes? I think that would provide the most rigid install.

Perhaps. I'd have to look at the stack up to see, plus I'd have to consider how much faith I have in the measurements I'm being given... are they ±1" or ±1/16" it all plays a factor. I'd rather have more adjustment then not enough.

Any news on the angled bar version?

Also what is the diameter of the bar you use? I have a friend who makes roll cages for rock crawlers, so he might be able to bend the bar for me. Would you sell me just the brackets minus the cross bar?

Any news on the angled bar version?

Also what is the diameter of the bar you use? I have a friend who makes roll cages for rock crawlers, so he might be able to bend the bar for me. Would you sell me just the brackets minus the cross bar?

I haven't put to much time into this as I've been busy ramping up other things (CF trunk). If there is another go around on the RSTB's then I could ask the supplier (I need a new one) if they have the capabilities of bending the tubing I have. However for an angled version I think I'd like to redesign the brackets a little bit to make the installation look a little cleaner and more robust for an angled version.

Is there going to be another GB for this? I hate myself for not getting one

There seems to be enough interest to have another go around on the RSTB's. I no longer have a supplier on the brackets so I'm going to have to find another company to manufacture the piece parts for me.

Last edited:
Back