• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

robsdaace HID kit..

i hate to burst your bubble pimpalicious but some of the first cars to have HIDs standard used reflector housings. Acura! the TL the CL. Lexus had a number of them the same way. unsafe... all i could do was laugh at that. sorry dont mean to be an a-hole but what you're saying is a little ridiculous. HIDs in general have been proven to be safer in almost every aspect of their use. it could be the difference between seeing that kid in the dark neighborhood or running them over, or seeing that deer as another car passes and you cannot have your brights on yet. unsafe... its only unsafe if someone is stupid enough to look into them. hell even in drivers ed they teach you to look to the right side of the road...

WRONG! You = fail.

OEM HIDs without projectors are not the same type of housing. My IS300 has HIDs and no projectors. Does that mean it gives the same light output as my SVT with HIDs? Hell no! The difference in the light pattern is worlds apart. Not to mention auto headlight leveling. The light automatically adjusts it's aim while I drive. Accelerate hard and the front end of the car lifts up, but the light will tilt down to level itself.

If you want to run HIDs in the wrong housing and not use projectors, D2R bulbs are a must, and proper aiming as well. Do not just throw them in and start driving around. You must aim them pefectly otherwise they are either blinding people or they are aimed straight down at the ground, not really doing anything for you.

I spent a lot of time adjusting my headlights after I installed HIDs and they could still use a little adjustment. They are little too low to the ground, but the slightest adjustment on the headlight could send the light beam going way up.

Unfortunately even a D2R is not going to work correctly. A HID arch is in a completely different configuration and position to a conventional halogen filament.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/HID/HB1_HID_Retro.pdf
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/HID/HB4_HID_Retro.pdf
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/HID/HB1_HID_Retro_a.pdf

Sure for average driving you may be fine, and maybe people don't flash you, but that does not mean you are not glaring them. If you are aiming your lights down because you are trying to not blind other people, you are reducing your viewing distance. If your lights no longer produce the correct beam pattern it is quite likely that they will make it more difficult for you to see in adverse conditions such at fog or snow (think high beams in fog).

Anyway, I know that no one is really wanting to listen to this rant because HID conversions are just too cool. I will just go back to working on my HID projector retrofit (still not perfect, but far superior).

Ok back on Topic it comes down to what the Owner likes Correct?

I made this Thread to show others the HID kit Rob is offering to us on CEG

My pictures do look crappy i still havent adjusted my Headlights and i know i need to BIG time..

that is fascinating... me = fail but that just means im gonna have to do my original intention and go HID projector housing. not as easy but oh well. i see what they might mean but i also noticed that they put great attention to the dual filament bulb units and were not as aggressive with single filament. maybe that is just me failing again but oh well.

oh and the color thing makes me laugh! as long as you have the correct color temperature it only fails by the miss aiming. that kind of pissed me off.

the aiming is the real problem and i love people who just say something is completely wrong an it can never be done correctly because i said so. im sure the problem can be corrected it just has to be dealt with properly. aka eyelids???

Last edited:
lol sorry guys its been my b-day weekend n i havent had time to be on the comp.... been partying up... i answered the question in the group buy section.....

Back