• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road Trip!

I dug out the receipt last night and it says its and Airtex and not a Walbro. In any event if Brian is right it doesn't matter what pump is in there, the assembly is causing it to fail which would explain it being on the 3rd pump in 42k miles. If Autozone is only going to sell you a pump then I will need to find somewhere that will sell the updated assembly along with a new pump. I think I have to go to a dealership to get that, though :(

yeah there is a tsb and instructions on the newer style pump assemble. I know turbo_fox installed on on one of the 2k SVTs that he had. you have to remove the plastic clips from the bottom of the tank as the new style hangs from the top like the older style pump.

I was quoted near $600 for the local Ford dealer to get and install the newer pump.

you might get away with removing the screen on the bottom of the current assemble. I have a second assemble with a focus pump that I am going to try at some point. Mine starts acting up sometimes at a half tank now, really bad a 1/4 ....

yeah there is a tsb and instructions on the newer style pump assemble. I know turbo_fox installed on on one of the 2k SVTs that he had. you have to remove the plastic clips from the bottom of the tank as the new style hangs from the top like the older style pump.

I was quoted near $600 for the local Ford dealer to get and install the newer pump.

you might get away with removing the screen on the bottom of the current assemble. I have a second assemble with a focus pump that I am going to try at some point. Mine starts acting up sometimes at a half tank now, really bad a 1/4 ....

Brian is correct. There is a lot of bad information floating around the forums in regards to the fuel pump issue. Everyone blames the "screen" or the "sock". Bottom line is this, I bough my 00 svt from the original owner and the car only had about 39k on it at the time. He explained he was having fuel pump issues, and changed the pump/screen/sock right before i bought the car. Of course he went through the floor like most people do to pull out the module. I actually started having the 1/4 tank issues immediately on the way home. I pulled the module and cleaned the sock and the screen, which were both filthy. About 200 miles later, started happening again.

At the time, my brother worked at a Ford dealership at the parts counter. I went in and priced out a focus pump. He then looked up the contour pump, and it turns out there was an "upgraded module". It was about $250 at the time (his price). I bought it, and when it came in I read through the directions. It came with a new module that rather than clip to the floor of the tank like the stock one, it was suspended off the top of the tank. it had springs that pushed it down, and little feet on the bottom that sat on the floor. There was a special service tool required to cut the old mounting ring off the floor of the tank. I was surprised that it actually came with a new filler neck grommet.

Rather than go through the floor, i actually follow the procedure in the manual and pulled the tank. What I discovered shed a lot of light on what was happening. The tank was full of crap- no wonder the socks get clogged. I also noticed when i removed the tank that the filler neck WAS NOT fully seated against the grommet, and there was dirt all around the grommet area. It was pretty clear that this was the location that the dirt was getting in.

Bottom line: it is expensive, but the new module is MUCH better than the old on. It actually has a really large sock that extends out of the module, as opposed to the stock one that is inside it, plus it doesnt have the disc, and it comes with a new grommet.

oh, and while the tank was out, I welded the slices in the floor back up, that is how confident I was that I would not be in the tank for a long time to come!

see my post from a couple years ago here:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=56636&postcount=10

yeah I changed the fuel filter on mine and I found alot of junk in the filter. Im almost afraid to look at that tank. I think I might just have the dealer do this ... luckly my local Ford Dealer was an SVT dealer...

yeah I changed the fuel filter on mine and I found alot of junk in the filter. Im almost afraid to look at that tank. I think I might just have the dealer do this ... luckly my local Ford Dealer was an SVT dealer...

Dropping the tank is not bad at all. You just dropped the subframe to do the clutch in your SE, its def easier than that! All you need to do is pull the exhaust, un bolt the filler neck, un bolt the straps, lower the tank and remove the evap lines, fuel lines, and electrical connections. Plus I am sure the dealer will let you borrow the tool to cut the mounting ring off the bottom of the tank.

Dropping the tank is not bad at all. You just dropped the subframe to do the clutch in your SE, its def easier than that! All you need to do is pull the exhaust, un bolt the filler neck, un bolt the straps, lower the tank and remove the evap lines, fuel lines, and electrical connections. Plus I am sure the dealer will let you borrow the tool to cut the mounting ring off the bottom of the tank.

yeah I know. just not sure I want to mess with this one. I know I shouldn't have trouble with the tank straps on this car but they are discontinued and if I run into a problem ....

Holy crap, I guess I can never complain again about the tolls in Illinois:

07/25/09 06:58 PM TOLL ($2.10) MASSPIKE
07/25/09 10:02 PM TOLL ($7.70) NYSTA
07/26/09 11:00 AM TOLL ($5.89) NYSTA
07/26/09 12:25 PM TOLL ($2.85) NYSTA
07/26/09 06:55 PM TOLL ($4.15) INDOT
07/26/09 07:38 PM TOLL ($0.50) INDOT
07/26/09 07:45 PM TOLL ($3.00) INDOT
07/26/09 08:25 PM TOLL ($0.50) ISTHA
07/26/09 08:59 PM TOLL ($0.75) ISTHA

New York got $16.44 of my money. :mad: Though I have to say that drive was gorgeous through the hills.

I dug out the receipt last night and it says its and Airtex and not a Walbro. In any event if Brian is right it doesn't matter what pump is in there, the assembly is causing it to fail which would explain it being on the 3rd pump in 42k miles. If Autozone is only going to sell you a pump then I will need to find somewhere that will sell the updated assembly along with a new pump. I think I have to go to a dealership to get that, though :(

but if you pull the pump out...Walbro is stamped on the side of it.

if i had more time i would have looked into upgrading the pump.
i remember doing it on taynars car, cutting the mount out of the bottom of the tank was kind of difficult without the special tool.

Back