• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road Trip!

They came, they saw, they ate, they left at 4 or so, then they called with a couple updates.
I'm sure they'll post once they're home.

last i talked to them (11:55am today) they were crossing into Penn.
the only issue they ran into was a loss of power around 1/4 tank of gas.

should be hearing from them soon i hope!

last i talked to them (11:55am today) they were crossing into Penn.
the only issue they ran into was a loss of power around 1/4 tank of gas.

should be hearing from them soon i hope!
fuel pump will be the first repair I assume lol

when i bought the car, it had already had the pump replaced.
then it died and i replaced it.
a few months later it died again and i replaced it once again.
so from what i know, the car has had 3 fuel pumps in 42K miles.

when i bought the car, it had already had the pump replaced.
then it died and i replaced it.
a few months later it died again and i replaced it once again.
so from what i know, the car has had 3 fuel pumps in 42K miles.

Sounds like something else is causing them to fail prematurely.... or is it just me?

PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS!

I wanna see!

PS, I have #1902 now sitting in my garage :drool:. Not 42k miles, but runs great.

Sounds like something else is causing them to fail prematurely.... or is it just me?

its just the way they are. that is why there is a whole new pump design for the returnless cars. it could just be the screen on the bottom of the filter housing too.

mine will fall flat on its face at high rpm with less then a quarter tank of gas ... need to change the pump out still.

Hope hetfield doesn't mind, but I snapped a pic. The car is nice, for a 4x4...:laugh:

0727091845.jpg

I think we were still in NY when we found it hesitating again. It would buck, but it didn't throw a CEL. So, after about 800 miles of driving we started to figure things out. We were pulling away from the first toll in Indiana and the car wouldn't go. We limped to the exit immediatly after the toll and parked it. After a bathroom break we thought we'd give it a try, and she ran up to 6k rpms with no problem. After 60 miles it started hesitating when giving her gas. After 100 miles it would get really bad. Stop, let it sit for 15 minutes, and she'd run great for another 60 miles. We repeated this the rest of the way home. It threw a CEL somewhere in Indiana. It took us so long to figure this out because prior to Ohio we were stopping relatively frequently for gas, food, or bathroom breaks. Pole got the car scanned this morning and the error has something to do with "Fuel Pressure Sensor Malfunction" which I think is P0190. He has a spare sensor we'll swap in and see if it helps. I'm also going to change the plugs and wires because they may be original to the car and it had been sitting for years outside. If it is the pump I'll be returning the Walbro that Elky put in and trying a Focus pump (unless anyone has better advice). The problem is I'll have to drive it 60+ miles to test it each time I make a change, but for getting me to/from work it'll do just fine in the meantime.

It was one hell of a trip, and it was mostly fun, but a little nerve-wracking for me too. I really can't thank Elky and Jess enough for everything they went through to get the car prepped and tested before the trip, and opening their home to us on Saturday (including emptying their fridge of food).

Last edited:
good to hear you guys are figuring it out.
sucks that in the 600 or so miles i drove it, it never did that.

it was great having you guys out here, wish you could have stayed longer.
My door is always open to CEG'ers.

that sounds very similar to what happened to laurasvt the other year. although his was the fuel pump.

the best option might be to install the new updated fuel pump. the design is completely different.

I would've figured that the one Elky put in would be an updated design, but it's also a Walbro. :shrug: I'm going to try and research the part numbers and make sure if I have to buy a pump it's the updated one.

I would've figured that the one Elky put in would be an updated design, but it's also a Walbro. :shrug: I'm going to try and research the part numbers and make sure if I have to buy a pump it's the updated one.

the updated pump is the whole thing, the whole assemble, not just the pump. you can change just the pump but the deal is the new assemble has a different design that doesn't end up starving the pump for fuel. it has to do with the screen on the bottom of the assemble, iirc.

Glad you got it home ;). Which is going to be the dd? Silver or Black?

Black, of course. If you see it in person you'd know why :) It is low mileage, but the people who owned it before Elky weren't nice to it. He did a lot of work to make the car roadworthy, but it still has a lot of body work that needs to be done. Plus it is bone stock and will likely stay that way.

the updated pump is the whole thing, the whole assemble, not just the pump. you can change just the pump but the deal is the new assemble has a different design that doesn't end up starving the pump for fuel. it has to do with the screen on the bottom of the assemble, iirc.

I also read something on NECO that the Walbro should only be used in return systems. Still, I can't find Motorcraft part numbers. Rock Auto has Motorcraft #PFS289 (#XS2Z9H307CA). I'm thinking I need to stop in at the Ford dealership (the parts manager at the one near me is a good guy to deal with) and see if they can look it up.

Last edited:
thats what i always thought. Walbro for the return cars and the FSVT for the returnless cars. The updated design one would be an ideal way to go though.

i put the walbro in it because that is what 5 different parts stores listed for a pump for that car.

Back