• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RF caliper keeps hitting the inside rim

Dasvolkswagen

New CEG'er
Alright. I'm completely puzzled.. The LF caliper keeps expanding and hitting the inside rim.. new rotor... new pads... Wheel size are stock 14's... even tried a new 14" steelie and has a new caliper.. still... The passenger side has no issue. And doesn't do it with the donut on it.... It's a 96 GL.. with rear drums.......

Last edited:
Here's the inside of the rim and photo of the new caliper with the other rim installed.. still does it...
IMG_0125-1.jpg

IMG_0122-1.jpg

IMG_0123-1.jpg

I just reread your first post and if i understand correctly, it doesnt rub with the spare donut but it does with the standard wheel? the passenger side also doesnt rub, so have you tried swapping wheels around to make sure its not that rim? also, when did this occur? right after replacing the pads and rotors? perhaps you could get some pictures of the brakes without the wheel on as well.

Are those 2 rims different than the other ones? How much clearance do you have on the other side?

Here's the deal.. I picked a tire off another 96 Contour... Same Steel wheel.. tried it it rubbed... i thought maybe mine was bent... I picked it up on a doughnut tire off a REPO lot... the doughnut is a 15"... never checked until just a few mins ago... but the other 3 tires where on and they don't rub or grind or anything.. so i thought it was the caliper i got a different one still did it on the 14" rim on the driver side..... but i do notice now on the passenger side there are quite a few dash marks on the caliper but then again doesn't Rub at all.... So... I guess i need to find a set of 15's?

Well, I don't understand why it is happening but I guess if you are going to throw money at the problem you mind as well see about some 15" wheels and not have to worry.... :shrug:

Well, I don't understand why it is happening but I guess if you are going to throw money at the problem you mind as well see about some 15" wheels and not have to worry.... :shrug:
I been on Craigslist Found some SVT focus wheels. :)... It's one good thing it don't have it be driven right now.. its just a project...

Sure you have correct calipers for those wheels? Stock stuff should clear way more than that. Looking like you need 15's to me.

For once rara is right on target

For once rara is right on target

If the spring clip on the caliper is on incorrectly it will absolutely cause this problem. I got a fantastic deal on a 98 conturd that had the front calipers rubbing on the wheels. Towed it home cause I had no clue. Followed the manual to the letter and no problem. The spring clips were on incorrectly as it turns out.

Fix this before you put on 15", while it may not rub any longer you will still have the problem of the calipers being out of place. Likely not a healthy thing for you and your family.

Damn. Didn't know I would have touched such a nerve with one of Rara's syncophants.

touched a nerve? hardly. But i know that Rara has years of experience with brakes and other automotive systems (including design of OEM systems). If you had more than a one track mind about cars and their uses (and how much people should spend on them) perhaps you would know that, since you have been around here since 05 and I know he has mentioned many, many times what he used to do.

I have checked... The spring is correctly on.... the driver's door.. said it came with 14"s.. so Idk...

What did you use as a reference

What did you use as a reference

Hmm. The spring looks correct in both the right and wrong way. What did you use for a reference to determine if it is correct?

Oh, yes if it has been on incorrectly for a while the pads will have a taper to them and will continue to push the calipers out. Check the pads and if ANY taper replace them.

touched a nerve? hardly. But i know that Rara has years of experience with brakes and other automotive systems (including design of OEM systems). If you had more than a one track mind about cars and their uses (and how much people should spend on them) perhaps you would know that, since you have been around here since 05 and I know he has mentioned many, many times what he used to do.

Man, I'd hate to touch a nerve with you if mildly irritating you provokes this response.

I had a problem with the caliper clunking (I THINK it was hitting the wheel, but I'm not sure) when one of the caliper retaining bolts sheared off. Check to make sure they are all snug.

really? for once? Rara is always right on target, ESPECIALLY when it comes to brakes.

striker,

While appreciate the sentiment, I can manage my own defense if you don't mind, lol.

Though, andres, I'd like to know what prompted you to phrase it that way... I work pretty hard to not be wrong around here, even if I'm not the most kind individual when i do post. If I'm not 100% sure on something, I either don't post it, or I preface the post with the fact that I'm not sure, and when I have been wrong, I'm generally very quick to acknowledge and rectify any mistaken postings on my part, always giving credit to whoever provided the correct information. I'd appreciate it if you could point out any and all posts of mine that contain inaccurate information that has gone uncorrected. Feel free to post it here, a new thread, or even in a private message if you wish.

I had a problem with the caliper clunking (I THINK it was hitting the wheel, but I'm not sure) when one of the caliper retaining bolts sheared off. Check to make sure they are all snug.

Back on topic, this is certainly the next place I would look after the spring clip. Along with the slide pins.

Back