• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Resonator question

striker2

Official CEG Vendor
My current setup is a custom 2.5" catback with a pair of Aero Turbine 2540i mufflers on the back. when its cold it has a lot of rasp that i want to get rid of. im debating between 3 resonators, a 18"x3.5" body (22" overall), a 14"x4" body (18" overall), and an Aero Turbine ar25 (10"x4" body, 14" overall). I can get any one of them for less than $70 shipped but im not sure which one will work the best without changing the overall tone, although i wouldnt mind it being a little quiter (just ask anyone at the Dragon Run how loud it is :crazy:)

My current setup is a custom 2.5" catback with a pair of Aero Turbine 2540i mufflers on the back. when its cold it has a lot of rasp that i want to get rid of. im debating between 3 resonators, a 18"x3.5" body (22" overall), a 14"x4" body (18" overall), and an Aero Turbine ar25 (10"x4" body, 14" overall).
If they're the straight-through design, the longest one is going to do the most for you, though it still may not get rid of all your rasp.

What kind of Y-pipe do you have & do you still have the main cat? Those two things have a large inpact on rasp.

The proven Magnaflow mufflers are out of the question?
I dont need another a muffler, i just want to remove the cold rasp.

If they're the straight-through design, the longest one is going to do the most for you, though it still may not get rid of all your rasp.

What kind of Y-pipe do you have & do you still have the main cat? Those two things have a large inpact on rasp.

they are the straight through the design. i have stock headers, y-pipe and cat.

they are the straight through the design. i have stock headers, y-pipe and cat.
That's odd. Okay, so all the piping in your custom catback is 2.5" right?... is it mandrel bent? How was the Y-split to the two mufflers done?

I'm asking these questions because the rasp could very likely be coming from your pipework. One of the problems will be at the flange behind the cat, (the stock piping behind the cat is 2.25" correct?). Stepping to bigger piping without a flared transition usually has a negative affect on sound quality. The same with crush-bends and unsmoothed pipe joints.

they are supposed to be all 2.5" mandrel bends. instead of doing a bolt on, they cut off just before the flange and welded on a transition piece. the split is a custom made piece that looks very much like the stock piece (bigger obviously). the shop that did all the work is the probably the best exhaust shop in the area, im pretty sure they are the only ones in the state with a mandrel bender.

i was thinking i will probably go with the aero resonator since i have the aero mufflers, even though it is the smallest of them. the rasp is only there for a very short period of time, like 1 or 2 0-60 runs, after that i dont notice any rasp.

the rasp is only there for a very short period of time, like 1 or 2 0-60 runs.
Our setups are very different but I'm experiencing the same thing since I still haven't put my cat back in. When I had it in, there was no rasp at all so I'm expecting my issue to be solved once I get a cat to put back in.

Anyway, I think you'd be silly to not put in the largest one that you can fit, being that you would like it a tad quieter. Realistically, any resonator that you put in there should help... as long as the rasp is being generated upstream from where the resonator is installed.

Let us know how it turns out. :cool:

Back