• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

driving across the country...

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm thinking about taking the Contour cross-country; planning stuff out, etc. Suggestions from someone who did it? I'd like to make it a sight-seeing trip... down through Colorado on the way out, see the various parts of California, back Arizona/New Mexico/Texas, then back up to NY.

I'm figuring gas would be around $700. Hotels, sleeping in the car, or camping? I'd like to keep the cost pretty cheap.

Well, you could do the trip in sort of a rectangular route - going west on the I80 until you hit the Pacific and then down the coast until you hit the Golden State. Route I40 east sort of bisects the country and takes more states in than the I10 which, while hitting Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, is considered a fairly boring drive. OTOH, it depends on when you're planning to make this trip. It might be too late now, weather wise, to do any cross country trip because of the snow and bad weather all over the place. The last time I drove from coast to coast, I camped and slept in the car (my Cuda) most of the time at the many rest stops along the interstates.
Karl

I didn't plan on doing it till at least late spring. I wanted to hit Arizona, etc, to see the Grand Canyon, Roswell, etc.

If you don't have one, buy a GPS or borrow one from someone. It is invaluable on any trip, but especially places you are unfamiliar.

You'll want a hotel, or a full-size shaggin wagon with a mattress in back. You will be sore after 8+ hours of driving each day. Anything less than an airbed will make you ache.

Personally I think you should take the Contour on a certain interstate trip to Michigan in May :p

If you don't have one, buy a GPS or borrow one from someone. It is invaluable on any trip, but especially places you are unfamiliar.

You'll want a hotel, or a full-size shaggin wagon with a mattress in back. You will be sore after 8+ hours of driving each day. Anything less than an airbed will make you ache.

Personally I think you should take the Contour on a certain interstate trip to Michigan in May :p

Geez Matt, remember, I have the same GPS unit as you! :p

I'm thinking about going to Michigan... and once SZ is over keep heading west. All depends on if I get called for a job or not.

Do you plan on taking the trip by yourself? Maybe fellow CEG'rs would let you crash on the couch here and there.....Or set up a meet when you are scheduled to passing through their area's

Good Luck!

Yes, let us Californians know when you are passing through and I'm sure something can be cooked up. If you do start from the northern border and drive to SoCal, it's going to seem like you drove most of the way across the country anyway so you'll be here for a while. :laugh:
Karl

I was hoping to do some kind of trip in the SVT or the Ninja too, probably west bound. Depending on when it is and if I can get someone to look after my kid, I could tag along part of the way

During my honeymoon, we went cross crountry from florida to california and back...

We found out that if you find the KOA Kampgrounds that have cabins, they are pretty cheap... and not bad as far as comfort goes.

Also, be sure to check out carlsbad caverns as well, its off the beaten path, but I wished I had my contour to drive it, awesome roads, very up and down and got some great curves!

The way we took, we were on I-10, and there is a sign for Carlsbad caverns, and we were thinking a few miles, its like 100 and some miles, and we were like no way, but I was so glad we took the trip, awesome drive, and goes quicker then you think... so take that route if you go.... you won't regret it!

Last edited:
I mapped out a trip from Albany to San Francisco on my tomtom.
It estimated 48hrs with no stops (impossible) I haven't yet figgured out how to plan stops along the way.

Are you driving there just to get there, or driving to enjoy the trip?

My trip was just "to get home." (bought the SVT and couldn't wait to show it off!!) We set "stopping points" based on 5 days of driving. However, we always stopped at a hotel around midnight, no matter where we were. For example, on the first leg of the trip we wanted to get to ElKo NV, but instead stopped at Lovelock NV because it was already 12:30am. Keeping it consistent allowed us to get a good sleep without exhausting ourselves.

We took the trip in 4.5 days (San Jose -> Manchester NH) but I honestly recommend more time. I was in questionable sanity toward the end of the trip.

Last edited:
Back