• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing resonator with Magnaflow 10435

As a brief update, I finally got my car up on a hoist and thoroughly inspected my exhaust. The good news is all the welds around the resonator were done well and all piping and mufflers are in good shape. The bad news is the car is still too noisy with godawful drone two weeks after the 10435 install.

How bad is it ? Bad enough to set off someones car alarm as I drove past it today. Its noisier inside than my my brothers cherry bomb equipped V8 beater.

Damn that sucks on the drone. I have no drone and I have headers and y-pipe on my 3L. I think I will keep my current setup :D.

Aaron

yeah. But your car is to quiet Aaron. Like Christ I can hear your intake over your exhaust. U might as well still have the stock system

This one flows much better than the stock one. Who knows I might redo it all in the spring time we will see.

Aaron

This one flows much better than the stock one. Who knows I might redo it all in the spring time we will see.

Aaron

If it flows better than OEM and is just as quiet why would you want to change it? To me thats the holy grail - better power without the added noise. I'm probably in the minority here for CEGers , but I'd much rather listen to my car stereo than exhaust noise any day.

If it flows better than OEM and is just as quiet why would you want to change it? To me thats the holy grail - better power without the added noise. I'm probably in the minority here for CEGers , but I'd much rather listen to my car stereo than exhaust noise any day.

I sooo agree man.

Bordem really. Don't get me wrong I love the fact that when cruising around I don't really hear anything and when the car idles it's quiet as can be. If I don't change it out then I will at least ditch my stock cat and put in a high flow one. I had toyed with the idea of going to true duals but that is still up in the air.

Aaron

I had no other exhaust work done previously. Bought my SVT back in 5/99 brand new and had resisted exhaust mods till now. Wish I hadn't gone down this road because now my beautiful factory exhaust has scars. :( :)

But, it's all reversed. The stock resonator is back on. The 10435 is up for sale, preferably someone local to Cleveland, pm me.

THE GOOD
Starting the car. Initial dip into the gas pedal on acceleration.

THE MEDIOCRE
WOT didn't seem louder.

THE BAD
Going down the road, lifting off the gas. Drone.
Slight downhill at part throttle, drone.
Lower RPMs with high throttle input, drone.

I got more noise out of the exhaust getting off the gas, than I did stepping into it.

I know exhausts are personal preferance in large part, so I'm not knocking you if you like it. But my 1/2 hour commute on gently rolling interstate was enough to give me a headache. Too much for me.

I had the same experience with my magnaflow 10435, that's sucks. when it was cold sounds nice but after a few minutes, I got crazy. I live in a really quiet neighborhood, so I put my stock resonator back.
Now, I'm wondering How's the sound if I use two resonators, the stock resonator first and then a 14" magnaflow resonator follow by stock rear mufflers. I just want to make it deeper and keeping the svt sound

What do you think? does affect performance?
sorry about my english...

Now, I'm wondering How's the sound if I use two resonators, the stock resonator first and then a 14" magnaflow resonator follow by stock rear mufflers. I just want to make it deeper and keeping the svt sound

Not enough room for that. The magnaflow resonator seems to work well with aftermarket rear mufflers to kill that drone that some people get.

As an update to this, I too ended up removing the POS 10435 res and put a 11426? Magnaflow muffler ( 5 x 9 ,18" long 2.5" in/out) in its place. It was an improvement, slightly quieter with a nice deep tone. Still far too loud on deceleration for my tastes though.

I just reinstalled my exhaust manifolds but still have the BAT Y on my car. Theres not really a huge difference in sound from the headers. Marginally less noise and maybe slightly higher pitched. Cruising on the highway is a bit better now though, as long as its not downhill.

All in all though, I give a huge 2 thumbs down to this mod. I wouldn't recommend the 10435 at all. The 11426 is a far better option for not much more $$ (still too loud with headers though).

Last edited:
Back