• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing resonator with Magnaflow 10435

DRONE - That's a good way of putting it. At certain lower RPMs (2500 or so) and cruising, the drone is almost unbearable. Likewise when you get off the gas pedal while going down the highway, anywhere in like the 60 to 70mph range especially.

I'll give it a couple more days but this is day #3 and it doesn't seem better than day #1.

I find that with the stock piping and that res you get a drone. Get a nice 2.5inch catback with that resonator and you will love it.

drone....you dont know drone till you have driven in my car....

Oh that's the truth alright!

Aaron

Would a high flow muffler (replacing the resonator)cut down a lot of the noise but still be an improvement flow wise over the stock resonator?
It depends on the design of the muffler, but pretty much anything labled as a performance, or high-flow piece WILL yeild gains over the stock res. It's just a trade off of noise & power. Anything with a straight-through design is going to produce more power while making the car louder than something of similar size with an indirect flow path.

Pipe size, transitions and catalytic converters also have a large affect on sound output.

I find that with the stock piping and that res you get a drone. Get a nice 2.5inch catback with that resonator and you will love it.

Wish I had known this before I took the plunge. I'm going to have it reversed tomorrow, I went out at lunch and came back to work with a headache.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever try exhaust mods again that I can't first hear in person for myself. Different people have different opinions on what sounds good/bad, loud/soft, drone, rasp, etc.

I wish there was a NICE exhaust shop in the Cleveland area, that would let you test out different systems, perhaps clamping them together first. Drive around a 1/2 hour, don't like it, bring it back, try something different. Without having to buy all the components and pay outrageous install and weld fees.

My car right now has headers to bat Ypipe - 2.5" flexpipe welded to 2.5" piping all the way to a near the T Junction where it transitions down to 2.25".

The car (pre magnaflow) even with headers was still fairly quiet with most of the offensive noise coming from the intake. But, the original piping was only 2.0 " diameter to the T junction.

As it is right now on mine , the sound is actually worse under heavy throttle. Below 3000 rpm its not too bad. But on the highway the drone is awfull (about 3100 to 3400 rpm), or at any time I let off the gas.

How very odd. Everyone raves about how swapping the restrictive resonator brings the car to life and now people are saying they hate it. I cant imagine there is a difference in the muffler all of a sudden.

I'm pretty sure i'll also be removing the magnaflow.The car is so loud now that it takes away any driving enjoyment . Its particularly brutal when going downhill .

I need to get the car up on a hoist first and check there arent any new leaks or shoddy welds underneath. I cant see why my car is now 2- 3x as loud when most people have stated they only get a slight increase in volume

Maybe its just the combination of all the different parts have added up to some really bad exhaust mojo.

Reinstalling The OEM res is not an option , I'll probably use a muffler instead. Hopefully I can find something a good compromise between flow/volume - sound quality.

Maybe its just the combination of all the different parts have added up to some really bad exhaust mojo.

According to your sig its probably the headers and y-pipe helping with the noise. Those really open the exhaust up whereas on a stock system the resonator just kinda helps.

gone

gone

I had no other exhaust work done previously. Bought my SVT back in 5/99 brand new and had resisted exhaust mods till now. Wish I hadn't gone down this road because now my beautiful factory exhaust has scars. :( :)

But, it's all reversed. The stock resonator is back on. The 10435 is up for sale, preferably someone local to Cleveland, pm me.

THE GOOD
Starting the car. Initial dip into the gas pedal on acceleration.

THE MEDIOCRE
WOT didn't seem louder.

THE BAD
Going down the road, lifting off the gas. Drone.
Slight downhill at part throttle, drone.
Lower RPMs with high throttle input, drone.

I got more noise out of the exhaust getting off the gas, than I did stepping into it.

I know exhausts are personal preferance in large part, so I'm not knocking you if you like it. But my 1/2 hour commute on gently rolling interstate was enough to give me a headache. Too much for me.

Attachments

• magnaflow.jpg
    magnaflow.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • magnanew.jpg
    magnanew.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
I had no other exhaust work done previously. Bought my SVT back in 5/99 brand new and had resisted exhaust mods till now. Wish I hadn't gone down this road because now my beautiful factory exhaust has scars. :( :)

I'm sorry you had a terrible experience with this. I hate drone like a passion. So far my car is drone free...you just have to pay to have power/sound quality when it comes to exhaust. well for us old people i guess:laugh:

Yea... I'm about to turn 33. Don't remind me. :)

But seriously, the drone was bad, it wasn't just me 'getting old'. I've been in other loud cars and enjoyed it.

I'd POSSIBLY spend big bucks on a full exhaust but I'd absolutely have to hear it first on someone else's car, I'm not experimenting on my car anymore. That was too expensive.

I'm still curious why you got drone on a stock exhaust system when others say they loved the sound.

well most...like myself got bad drone for about 2weeks, and then it went away.....but the e-way drone was horrible so i got sick of it too and removed it.:shrug:

Here are some pictures I took while doing my e-brake cables.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

I got it done for $35 at a private shop.

Back