• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rebuild of 1999 Ford Contour SVT 0532 - Pearl White w/ Flat Clear and Mystichrome engine bay

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I figured I would make a new thread for this as the other one is sooooo damn old as well as it was made for the breakdown process (It was called: Strippin my Joint). I literally took the car down to a rolling shell as well as removed as much as I could. Now the car is going to get painted and I would like to show the process and progress of how everything comes together.

The car was completely stripped and then brought to the body shop several years ago (where it sat way longer than it should):
IMG_5349.jpg

003-2.jpg

It sat got rusty, got body work done, etc.

Then it was time for paint where we just ended up priming it and doing the engine bay. Then it sat some more:
Ready to go into the booth:
001-1.jpg

Special etching primer that adheres better directly to metal:
005-1.jpg

After sitting this way for a while we ended up sealing the primer as it sat too long. This gave a shiny coating to the chassis and showed a three dents to be fixed. I repaired them, spot primed and got the car ready for painting:
001-3.jpg

023-1.jpg

019.jpg

031.jpg

041.jpg

035-1.jpg

I really am happy how the color came out. I was afraid the pearl would not show. My point and shoot DOES NOT even come close to bring out the color. It also looks much better in person as most would say.
I already got the sunroof and tails in. We are doing the rest of the body parts separate, as I get everything together I will keep progress here.....

That is going to look really sharp all back together :drool:. IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!

Joe, Im gonna need you to buy another CSVT and send me everything. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!! LOL

I was actually thinking you should let me buy the shell you just painted and I would build something hahahaha!

What was the logic behind the mysti engine bay? Normally it's the other way 'round - the engine bay is done in white, as it's easier to see in there, and to pinpoint any potential leaks or issues.

The same reason as hella flush. I am hoping to get the car up and running then move on to a wire tuck and such which will allow the engine bay to be more visible.
Color is just personal preference..... I like this plus after doing the damn bay and understanding how much it would cost for the whole car. There woulda been no way in hell of doing that car in Mystichrome. The engine bay alone cost me $400 in just PAINT!!!! a pint of paint for $400.

Looking good! Also not sure about the different color engine bay, but it's certainly well done! What are the plans for the engine dress up? Plan to paint the interior metal while the interior is out?

Sam, LMK what you got! I should be getting my windshield installed tomorrow so I should have the wiper motor and BRAND NEW OEM windshield cowl on by this week! Cant wait, I haven't opened the package yet. Engine Dress up is still undecided, everything will be powder coated (except the turbo piping) and for the interior metal really doesnt matter. I am just going to clean it and coat it with some POR-15 so my car doesn't rust. No reason to waste a lot of money to paint it.

Sam, LMK what you got! I should be getting my windshield installed tomorrow so I should have the wiper motor and BRAND NEW OEM windshield cowl on by this week! Cant wait, I haven't opened the package yet. Engine Dress up is still undecided, everything will be powder coated (except the turbo piping) and for the interior metal really doesnt matter. I am just going to clean it and coat it with some POR-15 so my car doesn't rust. No reason to waste a lot of money to paint it.

Sounds good! Can't wait to see it.

Awesome progress, cant wait to see it all back together. What color are you gonna do the valve covers/IM?

White, Black, Flip Flop to match the paint, silver. I just dont know yet. Till it comes down to it...... I welcome suggestions, I would like to do white under the hood.

I would do some white under the hood, and try to do something on the exterior in the mystichrome to tie the two colors together. Otherwise I think the mystichrome under the hood will just look waay out of place. Anyways I like the white, and looks like you arent cutting any corners here. Keep up the good work!

The wheels may end up being mystichrome, but that is a while from now cause I either need to get custom wheels or redrill the hubs to 5x114.3

Back