• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My vintage Volvo project

Buddy Palumbo

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey all !
As many of you know , I'm a bit of a Volvo nutter - especially old ones (and I've had a couple) . Here's my latest little project . It's a '66 Volvo 122s .

P5130436.jpg

P5130437.jpg

As for the engine , it's been upgraded to a B-20 engine (2-liter) from it's stock 1.8 at some point before I got it . I added a vancy vintage aluminum valve cover & some K&N's to the carbs (although they're not shown) . More engine mods are in the future . Check 'er out ...

P5130438.jpg

The suspension has been started (up front) , but when finished will sport a full IPD sport suspension with lowered coils/Bilsteins , every suspension bushing replaced w/poly bushings , IPD's big sway bars (28mm front/19mm rear) , braided brake hoses & some other goodies - all of which are waiting to be installed .
The former owner of the car started tearing into the car , and lost interest , got heat from his wife & "wanted to simplify his life" (as he put it) , so I got a smokin' deal on it . I have some pretty big plans for this little car , and will not rest till they're realized . It's gonna be my swedish rat rod . Once the suspension's done , the car will be rattle can'd a satin black with yellow scallops across the nose & down the sides , I've already tried the "flats" hubcaps on it , as you can see and I believe it'll end up with lake pipes & cutouts to make 'em functional :cool: . My eventual plans also include shaving the door handles & trunklid . Providing all things in my life come into order , this car will also take me across the country to Bonneville in September of '08 . It's already made a trip from Oregon to PA only a couple years ago .

I'll have more updates as the project progresses . Don't expect too much flash outta this ride , it's gonna be a low budget rat rod after all !

I've been hearin' about this for a while, I'm really glad I got pics to see it. Looks sweet, Allen. That's gonna be a fun ride. On the way to Bonneville, stop by and say hi!! :laugh:

love the rattle can look. hmm maybe my Sevt should be done that way hahaha

i think the scallops will look good. maybe in black? but i could see a cream yellow also

chop the top!!!

i'm not liking the idea of yellow scallops either...silver or light gray on satin black car w/ red pinstripes & a betty page pinup on the decklid :drool:

bettie_page_red.jpg

Last edited:
there's bungees holding every panel down...i'm sure there's a box of latches somewhere in there.

I see the previous owner knauberized it too...is he a member of ceg?
Lake pipes sound cool but I can somehow see flamethrowers on the back of this thing...may want to re-route the fuel filler tho :ponder:

Thanks for all the positive's :cool: !
The car will definately be rattle can satin black with satin pale yellow scallops . It's gonna look cool as hell , trust me . I have a pic of one done up that way that I've had for years , just waiting for one to give that treatment - I love scallops . I have a friend that does Von Dutch style stripework , so it's gonna have a bit of that on the trunklid also (just a bit) . I'll most likely french-in the antenna hole too . The car's gonna be a bit of an experiment for a few things I've wanted to try , including a spider web grille made out of 1/4" round bar , in place of the stock stuff . Maybe not right away , but soon .

The garage is actually a 6-bay unit - I WISH it was all mine . I rent it to do all this dirty-type work . I've built a few cars in there over the years . The marks that look like burnouts are actually sealer junk that our town sprayed down where they saw cracks forming on the road .
Yes , there are bungees holding everything closed . As was said , I have boxes of stuff to go through to put it all back together . I hope I can figure it all out :blackeye: . Not the first one I've built this way .
I'm not planning any top chop . This is a mega-low budget project , and window glass is big $$$ to have cut ... so that's out . No v-8 in the plans either . I'll probably build a hot b-20 before the trip to Bonneville (plus it'll be my daily beater) - gotta have good gas mileage . My last 122 had a hot motor & it suprised quite a few people :) . I've thought about flame throwers too ... maybe . Probably gonna do a "y" and run duals out the back with huge tips . We'll see . My last couple Volvos had side-exit exhausts (loud , of course) , so that's crossed my mind too , till the lake pipes go on .
Yes , the brake master cylinder has "fag" on it - that's who made the cylinders for 'em ... looks silly :crazy: .

yeah satin yellow will look good now that i think about it. my dads 57 chevy is like a cream yellow. not bright but not dull. hope its the same kind of color becuase then it will be just amazing. hope this goes well and u still hang with the rest of us

I admire your ability to take risks...;)

But seriously, good job with what you've done and sweet car...gotta love the salt-flat look...:)

Nice!! The black with yellow scallops will look sharp. Nice old skool hot rod look, and love the twist of it being a Volvo. Moon caps looks good also. You're going to Bonneville in 08? Going just to watch or do you plan on running? I'm hoping to make it out there myself in 08 as well, never been but I want to so bad. I've set the goal for myself to get into the 200 MPH club before I die. Anyway, nice project and please keep us updated!

I admire your ability to take risks...;)

Wha :shrug: ?? I thought building a car on an ultra-low budget & driving it 2,500 miles across the country (and back) WAS taking a risk , lol :D !!

Shawn - we'll be going just to spectate . My friend is building a 51 Ford truck to make the trip with me ... rat rod style , of course :) !

Last edited:
Back