• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre-98 console = drool

It is very similar to the mondeo console. I've adjusted mine, but generally its the same.

d.jpg

d1.jpg

d3.jpg

Looks great OP... I have a question though... I have the same type of cupholder in my car, but the black piece which surrounds it is not flush, it is pressed down... I took it apart to see if the clips were broken but they were not... Actually, the clip left side front does not clip until it is pressed down past flush... Any idea :shrug:

Looks great OP... I have a question though... I have the same type of cupholder in my car, but the black piece which surrounds it is not flush, it is pressed down... I took it apart to see if the clips were broken but they were not... Actually, the clip left side front does not clip until it is pressed down past flush... Any idea :shrug:

You almost definitely have a Mystique cup holder bezel. Those will fit, but won't sit flush. Same with the cup holder itself. They will fit, but never look right.

You almost definitely have a Mystique cup holder bezel. Those will fit, but won't sit flush. Same with the cup holder itself. They will fit, but never look right.

Maybe, that makes sense... My car is a late model 95... Should it have the cupholder you have? Maybe a previous owner got one at a junk yard and got one from a Mystique...

Maybe, that makes sense... My car is a late model 95... Should it have the cupholder you have? Maybe a previous owner got one at a junk yard and got one from a Mystique...

95-96 ATX - Double small ring cupholder
95-96 MTX - Single small ring cupholder
97 ATX/MTX - Single large ring cupholder (now a revised part for all Pre-98 Contours/Mystiques)

That means there is 6 cupholders and 6 bezels total between Contours and Mystiques.

If you use the wrong combo of parts, you get things not lining up perfect or sitting flush. Here's a Contour with a Mystique cupholder and Contour bezel:

The cupholder ends up sitting too low in the console.
DSC01483.jpg

the console looks neat, I'll do it also only if I can myself around to swapping the MTX

And you know what's funny? I didn't!
I got these instead : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110205357597

;)

(The only difference is that they don't have the bottom chrome part.. oh and they're more expensive :troutslap:)

there's more to them.... they're better looking because they're not on the dial itself, they're on the edges of it, which to me looks better

edit: why pay so much when you can get the silver strips you could shape and add yourself? :) only 3 dolla' a roll of 5 feet

Last edited:
the console looks neat, I'll do it also only if I can myself around to swapping the MTX

there's more to them.... they're better looking because they're not on the dial itself, they're on the edges of it, which to me looks better

edit: why pay so much when you can get the silver strips you could shape and add yourself? :) only 3 dolla' a roll of 5 feet

Because I tend to be stupid and not look for the simple solutions first... DOH!
Oh well, too late!

I don't know how that would look, please give it a shot and post pics. The ones on ebay are machined making the finish on them perfect, imho

Back