• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

possible head gasket??

ok, I have a Schley crank pulley holder for when I did timing belts on my Honda's and it's held up great so...

I found this on Sears website...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...hanics+Tools&sName=Automotive+Specialty+Tools
It looks very similar to the tool shown in the manual, but it's not available. I looked online and they go for ~$100-120, I wasn't looking to spend this much on tools though. damn...

I also have seen "valve seal pliers" like these...
http://www.toolsource.com/valve-stem-seal-removal-pliers-narrow-access-p-58910.html
Would this work on our engines? If so, what would I need to install the seals?

Has anyone used this...
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1578&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I saw it on some forums in one of my many google searches I've been doing trying to find the special tools required for this. Wondering if anyone has used it and how exactly it works. It says it removes and installs the keepers?

It says it "Removes and replaces valve keepers on all gas and diesel overhead engines".

I also found this...
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-91400A.html
A bit cheaper than anywhere else I've seen so if worst comes to worst I'll just get this.

I've also been searching for pictures of the 2.5L heads to see how much room is in there. If I am thinking correctly I think I see why you said their may not be enough room, just thinking back to how a Honda DOHC looks. So if anyone has a picture that would show this please post it up. Otherwise I may wait until I get the valve cover off to get a better idea of what I'm working with.

I've also been searching for pictures of the 2.5L heads to see how much room is in there. If I am thinking correctly I think I see why you said their may not be enough room, just thinking back to how a Honda DOHC looks. So if anyone has a picture that would show this please post it up. Otherwise I may wait until I get the valve cover off to get a better idea of what I'm working with.

P1010104.jpg

I never priced Fel Pro gaskets, I went with all factory parts on my rebuild. The Fel Pros are alot cheaper and are very good, Rock Auto has them at $45 ea compared to around $70 each from Bill J. I would have went with the Fel Pros. Their head bolt kit costs about $5 less than the Ford ones.
Good luck, It's cold now, I hope you have a heated garage.

hmm... if the cams weren't there that would have been prefect but it does help, thanks. Looks like those at Sears won't work. I spoke with my neighbor who has a high 9sec Regal and a low 9sec Mustang and he just changed the valve springs on his Regal so I was asking him about his thoughts on valve spring compressors. He said he doesn't like the ones that screw down, like one of the Sears ones. He prefers ones like the Schley tool. I may just go ahead and order one of those Schley tools, just to make sure I don't have problems.

I looked at the Fel Pro gaskets at AutoZone and they were more than the gaskets from Bill Jenkins. I haven't ordered the parts yet though, waiting for Bill to send me the part numbers to make sure I order the right parts. I'm someone that prefers OEM unless it's something for upgrade, I've always done this even with my Honda's, can never go wrong with OEM parts.

HA! I wish I had a heated garage! no, but I have a good heater that'll heat the garage pretty good. Used it when we did insulation and peg board in my moms garage during the middle of the winter. Heat/AC/Insulation is on the list of things to do to the garage as well as a floor covering but I just moved in and have other things to do first. Having new soffit and soffit vents put in this week and then buying more insulation for the attic before it gets too cold and so I can write it off on my taxes. It's ok though, I did lots of work on my Accord during the winter in my moms garage with this heater so I should be fine.

Back