• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

polishing is hard

for the manifold using a grinder and a stepped sanding disc will make quick work of the sand casting. after that its just sanding out the little imperfections and marks. another option,if you have access to a sand or media blaster. will make esp. quick work of the valve covers.

Daaaaaaamn those are beautiful, I would love to do that to mine, but I am looking into black crome powdercoating.

for the manifold using a grinder and a stepped sanding disc will make quick work of the sand casting. after that its just sanding out the little imperfections and marks. another option,if you have access to a sand or media blaster. will make esp. quick work of the valve covers.

sand blasting leaves to much pitting and just makes more work. im partial to airplane stripper to remove the paint but on the valve covers that shiz didnt wanna come off

i think he meant when your done sanding and you need to use metal polish after sanding:shrug:

dont need to polish after sanding. buy the time you hit 2000 grit that shiz is shining.
im over it now anyway im gonna finish these up and probably not even use em.

Last edited:
Zetec can be polished. Thats a contour cover i have on my focus. Took a lot of work but came out great. Its no 100%alu. though. Its Magnesium and aluminum i believe so it shines but not as bright as aluminum. Used buffing pads on a bench grinder with 4 different compounds and wheels.
P1020350.jpg

I like the shine and the color of your ride.

I like that CAI, looks like a bigger version on a b5 Audi CAI, only to the left :laugh:

no..you need to polish them after sanding....trust me..it'll look much better.:cool:

no when your done sanding you rouge them with the proper blocks. and a high speed wheel (not the powerball)
im not new to this. ive done over 50 pcs. as well as 4 motorcycles

Last edited:
i guess we all have our own ways,:shrug: i use mother metal polish and a high speed wheel:shrug:

I hate the final polish. My strut covers were a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to get the clouds out of them. Did them to hot the first round, then did them slow enough to keep them from getting to hot and they shined up nicely.

Back