• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oh crap! I'm still on my summer tires!

win =
trucker_sm.jpg

I'm going to work from home this morning. I purchased some all season tires, but they aren't in yet... :blackeye:

I was thinking about the Continental Conti-extremes, but I'm trying to save mony...I went with the Kuhmo Escta ASX's.

For this storm...my car is in the garage and staying there... :eek:
I am going to have to say you went with the wrong choice.

I had the Kuhmos on my Evo. They worked good on the Evo (I suspect because of the AWD) when going straight, but you'd try to turn and it would slide more than you would think.

Now I have the Continental tires on my MS3, which as you know is very similar to your Cobalt and I don't have enough good things to say about them. You are able to accelerate, brake, and turn with minimal sliding if any at all. With all this nasty weather I feel safe driving on these tires and actually enjoy it a little.

I would reconsider.

I am going to have to say you went with the wrong choice.

I had the Kuhmos on my Evo. They worked good on the Evo (I suspect because of the AWD) when going straight, but you'd try to turn and it would slide more than you would think.

Now I have the Continental tires on my MS3, which as you know is very similar to your Cobalt and I don't have enough good things to say about them. You are able to accelerate, brake, and turn with minimal sliding if any at all. With all this nasty weather I feel safe driving on these tires and actually enjoy it a little.

I would reconsider.

Apparently they have been shipped already... :shrug:

Rara and Barge had these tires on their vehicles and for the price had nothing but good things to say...

This shiz is awful... plus another 4-6" on Sunday. Good lord, and to think I could have been in my sandals walking around town, but alas.... I had to come to Michigan. :nonono:

I'm wearing shorts if it makes you feel better. :laugh:

Apparently they have been shipped already... :shrug:

Rara and Barge had these tires on their vehicles and for the price had nothing but good things to say...

I had ASX tires on my 1.8T Jetta. They were ok. Part of the problem was that discount tire f'd up the balance when they put them on, so I drove on them for a couple of months, put a bad wear pattern in them before I got them re-balanced, and had to replace them after about 10,000 miles. As soon as my turbo spooled, they were spinning in first gear, but wet traction was decent. I never had any experience with them in snow, but they are only suggested for LIGHT snow, not that :censored::censored::censored::censored: that you apparently got today.

lol should you, thats up to you. you can drive in the snow on all season's fairly easily, once you get use to it. however, snow tires make a huge difference as far as traction goes, I use to have blizzaks and they would take my car through any amount of snow.

I had michelin x-ice's on my fiero last winter, it made a wooooorld of a difference in the snow. That poor little car would plow through anything I threw at it, even snow over the hood. If you have the extra money I would totally go for snow tires, it's just nice to not have to worry about the snow, ever.

I think my little fiero was the only car not to get stuck in our parking lot at school last year. I remember plowing past jeeps and subies stuck in the parking lot all the time.

With Blizzacks the only thing that slows my car down is when the snow is up to the bumper. They will still spin and slide, but not in the same way.

well after last night i'm convinced i can go anywhere as long as the snow isn't to my mirrors, then the snow holds me back but i can still rock out of it without getting out. lol. and yes my car is still on full slam, its a snow plow, but bumpers getting painted in spring anyway!

All i have to say is...dunlop ds-2's...best winter tires i have ever used on a 2wd car.

Now on my truck...different story.:laugh:

Hey pete...

Hey pete...

...you runnin' those all-season tires year round:shrug: Just wondering because if your not and getting another set of rims for your stockers, why didn't you just go with snows:confused:

...you runnin' those all-season tires year round:shrug: Just wondering because if your not and getting another set of rims for your stockers, why didn't you just go with snows:confused:

I am probably going to run them into the summer...we'll see what happens because I am trying my damndest to get the :censored::censored::censored::censored: outta Michigan. Besides, for now, I live in Metro Detroit; the roads are clear 90% of the time. Snow tires wear faster on dry pavement. Since I am on dry pavement most of the time, I don't see the point in getting winter tires.

I am probably going to run them into the summer...we'll see what happens because I am trying my damndest to get the :censored::censored::censored::censored: outta Michigan. Besides, for now, I live in Metro Detroit; the roads are clear 90% of the time. Snow tires wear faster on dry pavement. Since I am on dry pavement most of the time, I don't see the point in getting winter tires.

Snow tires only wear fast on WARM dry pavement Pete, as snows are made for when the weather is also 45 or colder, trust me! Snows are the way to go and those cheap Kuhmo's aren't going to cut in compared to a designated snow tires, remember, your deductable and time and heartache are more expensive then a tire that does one thing, kick ass in the snow!

Snow tires only wear fast on WARM dry pavement Pete, as snows are made for when the weather is also 45 or colder, trust me! Snows are the way to go and those cheap Kuhmo's aren't going to cut in compared to a designated snow tires, remember, your deductable and time and heartache are more expensive then a tire that does one thing, kick ass in the snow!

I'll be able to get around fine. I am driving on the conti's still and I've been fine so far...

All-seasons are fine so long as you drive safely for the conditions. Snow tires only made me drive like an ass...

Plus, if I leave MI in January...I am not taking multiple sets of tires with me.

Good luck to you Pete and stay in touch, I've got your cell but call us and let us know that you've left and make sure you close the door on the way out:shrug:

Back