• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not bad for some amateurs

2000SE

Veteran CEG'er
Well as some of you know, my body kit ordeal was anything but pleasurable. AAS really screwed me over with their kit so i switched to an ED kit instead. Turned out really good for 2 days work with my dad. Check it out.

l_fb3006f0f24573bef26758c83d394ddc.jpg

-
l_df32d47a43b4482db5492f33841eda88.jpg

-
l_ffe485e9b1f311c974592b2b21ffed67.jpg

-
l_163eb5fe4c78b3f707d1d38006a3ad93.jpg

-
l_457b2f2d134d9a32ca86a5b0d044a32b.jpg

whaaaaaaa

wheres da foggers?!?!

oh well. your car...get it painted an it'll look good.

an why is there so much space in the wheel well?

What was the point of installing it before it was painted?

what if it needs fitting or work to make it fit correctly, you need to fit it first before painting so that you don't ruin the new paint trying to make it fit.

I was driving around with a silver front bumper, black sideskirts and rear bumper and a white mirko on my blue car when I installed the SVT kit before the car was painted. I wanted to make sure everything worked fine and didn't want to have to pay or have the hassle of having the body shop swap the bumpers, etc for me and have to get them home ...

what if it needs fitting or work to make it fit correctly, you need to fit it first before painting so that you don't ruin the new paint trying to make it fit.

I was driving around with a silver front bumper, black sideskirts and rear bumper and a white mirko on my blue car when I installed the SVT kit before the car was painted. I wanted to make sure everything worked fine and didn't want to have to pay or have the hassle of having the body shop swap the bumpers, etc for me and have to get them home ...

You hit it dead on the head except for the fact that most good body shops are going to remove the kit anyway so that the seams get a good coat of color. If not you would be able to see it. What I'm saying is that you are going to get charged for it anyway due to the fact that th3ey are going to remove them but it will be les if they don't have to do all of the fitting.

Last edited:
You hit it dead on the head except for the fact that most good body shops are going to remove the kit anyway so that the seams get a good coat of color. If not you would be able to see it. What I'm saying is that you are going to get charged for it anyway due to the fact that th3ey are going to remove them but it will be les if they don't have to do all of the fitting.

Duh, any shop is going to remove a body kit to paint it.

its fitment, if you take a kit to a shop to have it painted and installed, chances are they are going to charge you out the ass to install it, because most aftermarket kits dont have the holes and stuff drilled out for mounting, plus its rare to get a body kit that perfectly lines up onto the car first try.

However, in brapple's case... I dont really think it was necessary to check fitment on OEM parts. Stock bumpers, for the most part, all bolt on exactly the same, and since your car came with SE skirts its not like you had to install the mounting hardware for the factory SVT skirts.

But I can see why you would try it out before having everything painted. As for the aftermarket kit in this thread, I like the front bumper... thats about it, I think that kit would look killer with SVT skirts and rear bumper. Otherwise I feel like everything else on the kit was done just because they could do it, not to flow with the car. My biggest complaint is the missing body line that is shin high on the factory bumpers and doors.

Well you are right, it needs paint, but i am going one step at a time. My old bumper was cracked through because the person i bought it from ate a pole. I have the kit on now because it looks better than a bumper in two pieces. Also, I'm a 16 year old kid, so making the 1000-1500 dollars necessary to get it painted takes some time. I also know I could probably take it mudding with the suspension that is on their now, but Konis and springs don't grow on trees.

Duh, any shop is going to remove a body kit to paint it.

You are wrong sir! Good shops will remove them but take it to most of those discount paint places & they half ass tape it off & let some guy with an eyepatch throw some paint at it!

You guys did a good job. Great work! Looks nice.

They rims look strangely good too hahah.....

On a side note...

But if I had to nitpick I would say get some different mesh when you have a couple bucks....

you could probly take off the grill and the headlights out to get a better paint application when you drop it off....

I dont see paying 1000.00 dollars for paint on a 4000 dollar car, and on a 150 dollar kit....

But hey whatever floats yer boat.....

You guys did a good job. Great work! Looks nice.

They rims look strangely good too hahah.....

On a side note...

But if I had to nitpick I would say get some different mesh when you have a couple bucks....

you could probly take off the grill and the headlights out to get a better paint application when you drop it off....

I dont see paying 1000.00 dollars for paint on a 4000 dollar car, and on a 150 dollar kit....

But hey whatever floats yer boat.....

Yea, everyone is lazy in this world. They primered the kit with the mesh in it, so it has a black tint. I used newer gutter guard to make the grill, so it looks better imo. Where would you suggest i get it painted to avoid spending so much? All of the bodyshops have said 1-2 grand, but other people have told me maaco does a decent job for under 1000.

Oh yea, and when you find that kit for 150 give me a call, I'll ask ED for my other 750 back.:laugh:

Nice!

I have the same kit on my car.

Check it out
V
V
V

If you have questions, problems, concerns, ask me, I bet I've already been through it.
Dan

If you like the kit great, but imo that kit is HORRIBLE and messes up all the natural lines of the contour, expecially that front bumper.

so what did AAS do?

Where to begin. I tried to order their c-27 kit in mid august and i was told 1-2 weeks and it would be to my door. 2 months later, after about 15 phone calls they tell me 2-3 more weeks. I waited that out and then they tell me i cans witch to an ED kit and it should be there in a week. I went through all that and ED calls me and says they have everything but the rear bumper, should be there by Halloween. Finally, they called me and said it shipped around the 17th of October. You can tell from the pictures that the rear bumper is in the best shape. The skirts and front must've been hanging out on the shelf for a while.

Bottom line, stay away from AAS. They don't give a straight story.

Nice!

I have the same kit on my car.

Check it out
V
V
V

If you have questions, problems, concerns, ask me, I bet I've already been through it.
Dan

the only part about your car that cracks me up it the fact that you shoved the plate up in the front....works for me too. :)

I think that kit would look good if the car was dropped! That front end is almost as high as mine :cool:. Just keep that on your to-do list until you get the money :)

I dont see paying 1000.00 dollars for paint on a 4000 dollar car, and on a 150 dollar kit...

lets see, my svt "kit" plus mirko was $800 and paint was 4k .... on about a 4k car .... :shrug: but then again I have spent much more then that, actually I am close to the original cost of the car .... but to each their own

CustomX157 said:
but other people have told me maaco does a decent job for under 1000.

that is if you do all the prep work yourself, but don't expect much for less than 1k ...

right...to each thier own....

I had a 88 mustang 5.0 I got a complete at the cheapest cheap low buck here-ya go-maaco job at 299.00 (I swear to you it was) back in 2001..... It was a miserable paint job with nothing to brag about. I barely got a 1000 grit on the doors, it was summer time, I just wanted to smoke the tires, so I just dropped it off....I was living with roommates and had no garage or time, I was friggin partying all teh time. I just wanted it to look good. They wanted 75.00-85.00 per door jamb, I said no. I originally paid 2700 in 1997 for it and drove it for 4 years straight in MN snow, with NO PROBLEMS. On the 4th year the waterpump gave out, fixed that, easy, then the heater core, fixed that, not so easy....lol I sold that car for $800 in 2002 with bad head gaskets lol. Oh how I wish I woulda kept it.

I just mean not to waste money on a "complete" is all Im sayin.

I would just do a color-match (it wont be EXACT) on the kit parts.

Ya you get what ya pay for, true true, there will be lines if its not completely prepped properly, true, orange peel... dirt in the paint and all that....Id take it though just to save a bit to make it look decent.

If you do step up to $1,200 by all means go for it, maybe you'll be happy you didn't go the cheapo route, and instead, put a little more time and money and love into it.....

But to some, its more than "just a car..." Its a piece of you.

I know.....but to me, its a car.

Last edited:
Back