• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nitrous Kit Questions

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
I tried searching already, and it seems that there are over a million different opinions on this subject... but here is what I have:

1998 SVT Contour 2.5, basically stock

Weapon-R Cold Air Box
Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake
ProFlow MAF Calibrater
Magnacore Plug Wires
BAT Y-Pipe
Bosal Cat Back System

Soon to get: Fidanza Flywheel, Spec Stage 2 clutch, and driveline shop stage 2 axles

and a nitrous system

Problem, what nitrous system to go with, and what software, programming will I need to do to get the most bang for my hard earned buck?

I see a few people that have went with zex, which I am ok with, but want to ensure as few problems as possible, and am kind of ignorant to the whole thing...any help will be much appreciated.

agreed. i'd get a LSD, however i have run a 100 shot on my stock axles and diff, the only thing that went was the stock clutch. i went with a stage3. you dont want a spec stage2 clutch, its got kevlar in it (slippage!) get the stage 3, 6puck design. its about the same price anyhow.

as for the nitrous kit, that's all based on opinion. i'm a NX guy myself, and i definately would go with a wet kit, unless you plan on upgrading your fuel system quite a bit. i also recommend a window switch, WOT switch, and a fuel press. safety switch. if you have more questions go ahead and pm me i can give you all i know about it, i have run 32 bottles through my car and its got 147k on it now, on the original engine.

agreed. i'd get a LSD, however i have run a 100 shot on my stock axles and diff, the only thing that went was the stock clutch.

I would say that's pretty lucky becasue many (including myself) have blown diffs stock!!!!

Just as a side note...I had a stage 2 fr a while and I never had probs with it...although I may have lucked out on that as well.

yeah i have no idea how i havent blown it. maybe i'm lucky, or maybe the person before me already blew one and put in a LSD? i have no idea :)

Waste of money
Waste of money
Waste of money
Good quality
Decent copy in mild steel
Waste of money

Oh, that wasn't your question.

Any wet kit is a good option. A 75 shot is a safe range to run. Make sure to run 92 octane or better, the higher the better of course.

Why do you need a WOT and a window switch?

Just get a WOT system. The zex system is good and easy to install, its clean and dosent take up much space.

Tricker will swear By NX as do a lot of people, their solenoids are very good, some people dont want to deal with the amount of wires and garbage that is associated with the NX kits tho.

Im running a 75 shot, bottle heater, purge kit, wideband, Custom tune with Flip chip by Lightspeed Innovation. I'm on the stock diff and clutch, my tranny was rebuilt by ford about a year and a half ago tho, plus i only use the Nitrous >4500RPMS in 2nd.

Wet kit is definatly the way to go if you have the choice.

If you go with the Zex kit, go Wet, get a bottle warmer, a purge kit, a nitrous pressure gauge, a blowdown tube, Wideband 02 sensor, use the WOT setup from zex, get a custom tune, and run a Fuel pressure safety switch just for extra insurance.

tourige i just like the window switch for added security myself...my foot gets heavy when im racing...your right though, both are not necessary

as long as you dont power shift like a madman you should be fine.

Window systems are probably the better way to go tho, it lets you launch without having to worry about massive wheel spin.

WOT switches are better for roll racing and just general fun, nothing beats sitting at 5000rpms next to your buddy, flipping a switch, mashing the pedal to the floor and flying away.. :D Man i miss summer..

Well I think you could still do that with a window switch, which is really what Id like to set up for my system. The WOT switch would be the primary way to activate, but it would not work unless a window switch was completing the circuit.

That way, you get the 'on now' feature of WOT assuming that you're in the right RPM range. (Say 3500 - 6500).

I figure this way will work the best for me because I often like to let the revs ride out at less than full throttle, (which would activate nitrous if in the RPM range with only a window). I also have the saftey of not having to worry about WOT slips or anything.... Ask mark about my highway downshifts :troutslap:

If im off base on anything, I hope you guys can chime in and correct me!

no one has mentioned it - but one step cooler plugs would be required.
also, to be safe get a tune for the nitrous

Well I think you could still do that with a window switch, which is really what Id like to set up for my system. The WOT switch would be the primary way to activate, but it would not work unless a window switch was completing the circuit.

That way, you get the 'on now' feature of WOT assuming that you're in the right RPM range. (Say 3500 - 6500).

I figure this way will work the best for me because I often like to let the revs ride out at less than full throttle, (which would activate nitrous if in the RPM range with only a window). I also have the saftey of not having to worry about WOT slips or anything.... Ask mark about my highway downshifts :troutslap:

If im off base on anything, I hope you guys can chime in and correct me!

Starjammer is running his new setup that way. You would just run the Window switch in series with the WOT switch. It should work pretty well.

And yes, NGK TR6 plugs are a must.

Starjammer is running his new setup that way. You would just run the Window switch in series with the WOT switch. It should work pretty well.

And yes, NGK TR6 plugs are a must.

Yep I am running it like that. Its pretty simple to wire up. If you need a diagram PM me I got one from Zex

Back