• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new axle..?

kidSVT

CEG'er
Hey all, my SVT is shaking from 55-65mph, and the mechanic says that the front right axel is bad.. where can I get this from? I was looking on Bill's teamford site, but I couldn't find anything... Thanks

~Andrew

Hey all, my SVT is shaking from 55-65mph, and the mechanic says that the front right axel is bad.. where can I get this from? I was looking on Bill's teamford site, but I couldn't find anything... Thanks

~Andrew

Before going that route, have you had your tires recently rotated and balanced?

Andrew posted this in troubleshooting and that was mentioned, about the balancing and rotating.

I didn't mention that because it was posted already. Hopefully the mechanic tried that/looked into it already before going the axle route.

i get a bad creaking in my front left whenever significant move ment happens, starting off, hard turns, or hard shifts it makes a terrible axle breaking racket...

Before going that route, have you had your tires recently rotated and balanced?

Well, the tires are in such bad shape, the mechanic didn't balance them because it wouldn't be worth the money... he was trying to "save me the money."

I just went to Advanced auto parts.. they could get one for bout $100. does that sound reasonable?

If that's the case, I would seriously consider putting the money towards new tires first before moving to the axle...have you taken off the tire and looked at the axle yourself, yet? It seems most of the vibrations and shaking that people describe feeling at specific highway speeds can be traced to poorly balanced or well-worn tires.

your vibration and noise could be a magnitude of different things in the suspension of the vehicle including the balance of your wheels and tires. but from my knowledge if it is making naoise it slow speeds or even when you turn i would says it is not the balancing of your wheels and tires. it is most likely a worn ball joint, wheel bearing, or what your mechanic said axel. all these parts are pretty easy to tell if they are shot by the movement of them just by jacking the vehicle up and jiggling around on the tire it should feel tight with no slop like feeling anywhere for the ball joints and wheel bearings to check the axel shafts just grab a hold of the shat and do the same things see if there is any loose slop at the knuckles which are located in the boots. you should be able to pin point your problem easily i hope this helps you out. i wish you the best of luck.

There isn't any noise when I drive the car.. just that semi-violent shake. I rotated the tires when I got home, still no difference. The rear tires that are now up front are in much better condition than the front ones were. . the wear bar is showing, but the wear isn't uneven. I dont' know if that bit of info would help you guys.

Is it possible to tell if a balance will fix the problem?? if you can't tell.. is it worth the money to get them balanced to see if it goes away? and lastly, is this constant shaking going to create another problem down the road?

Thanks alot for the advice guys.

your vibration and noise could be a magnitude of different things in the suspension of the vehicle including the balance of your wheels and tires. but from my knowledge if it is making naoise it slow speeds or even when you turn i would says it is not the balancing of your wheels and tires. it is most likely a worn ball joint, wheel bearing, or what your mechanic said axel. all these parts are pretty easy to tell if they are shot by the movement of them just by jacking the vehicle up and jiggling around on the tire it should feel tight with no slop like feeling anywhere for the ball joints and wheel bearings to check the axel shafts just grab a hold of the shat and do the same things see if there is any loose slop at the knuckles which are located in the boots. you should be able to pin point your problem easily i hope this helps you out. i wish you the best of luck.

you probably mean that for S2Knott and not the original poster...:)

There isn't any noise when I drive the car.. just that semi-violent shake. I rotated the tires when I got home, still no difference. The rear tires that are now up front are in much better condition than the front ones were. . the wear bar is showing, but the wear isn't uneven. I dont' know if that bit of info would help you guys.

Is it possible to tell if a balance will fix the problem?? if you can't tell.. is it worth the money to get them balanced to see if it goes away? and lastly, is this constant shaking going to create another problem down the road?

Thanks alot for the advice guys.

If you have wear bars showing, you need new tires. I wouldn't waste the money trying to balance them. Look at it this way, you know you need new tires now, but you're not sure about the axle...spend the money on something you know you need versus something you're not 100% on...and yes, the constant shaking will cause you problems down the road...in your thread in Troubleshooting, plenty of people talked about the problem probably being something to do with your tires, listen to the advice. :)

definitely tires first. if they are as bad as you say, tires and an improper balance can play a huge role in that vibration

Do this, if you think its the axle:

Lift and support the front of the car (always use jackstands) and rotate the tires by hand. Make sure the trans is in neutral! If the wheels spin and then almost seem to tighten and then shake weird, you have a bad CV. That's how I diagnosed my failed CV, of course it also clicked on hard right turns (failed CV on right side).

Do this, if you think its the axle:

Lift and support the front of the car (always use jackstands) and rotate the tires by hand. Make sure the trans is in neutral! If the wheels spin and then almost seem to tighten and then shake weird, you have a bad CV. That's how I diagnosed my failed CV, of course it also clicked on hard right turns (failed CV on right side).

did that and the O'clock test. both came out negative.. would it hurt to spend how ever much it is (I've heard it isn't much) to get them balanced to see if it goes away? I know i need new tires, but when I use my tires, they are B.A.L.D, bald, when i'm done. i'll defidently get some before winter. + i'm a poor college kid :p

If your tires are scalloped & out of round (as they often get in the last throws of usefulness) , it'll be a total waste of your $$$ to re-balance them . As was posted before , you need new tires anyway ... get them . If you can't afford them , hit up the parental units to help you out . I doubt if they'd want their kid to be riding around in an unsafe vehicle .

Get new tires.

As an aside, I can't stand the excuse of 'I'm a poor college kid'. Get a job! I went to school, had 2 jobs, paid for school (still paying the damn loans) and had enough pocket money to get out and party 3-4 nights a week. Stop modding the car, buy the necessary parts and have a good time in school! Err, study too!

Back