• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.5L V6 Swap

JonsZX2SR

New CEG'er
Does anyone know if the new 3.5L V6 can be swapped to replace a 2.5L or 3.0L Duratec ?? I have a chance to pick up a '99 Mystique SE with a 2.5L and 5 speed from a coworker for cheap.

The engine is very tired. With everything I've read here, if you are going to replace a Duratec V6, a larger V6 swap seems the way to go. Has anyone tried the 3.5L swap. With 260+ HP from the factory, this could make an iteresting combination.

Can anyone explain why ?? Did ford change the block, etc. that much or would there be a problem getting the transmisson to bolt up ??

I'm going to look at the car more closely tomorrow, then will price out 3.0 Duratecs before I make an offer. What year 3L V6's are preferred for the swap ?

How about you go to the top of the 3.0 forum and SEARCH "3.5" You'll find your answer in about 4 seconds.

I got frostbite reading this thread. What a way to welcome a newbe.

To the original question, a short answer. It has been reported from engineers that frequent this forum that the 3.5 is of a different architecture with many differences. As far as I know, no one has attempted to figure out the differences and see what it would take to stuff one under the hood of a Contour.

Now, if this same attitude would have prevailed when members were trying to figure out how to use a 3.0, that would have never happened, and they are very common now.

I think a 3.5 with its accompanying 6 speed trans would be a wonderful combination in a Contour, if it could be made to fit. It does look as though it will be a lot more work than a 3.0 conversion though. The details of the obsticles have been discussed every which way to the point that it is now nearly a bolt-in.

Wouldn't it be great if that is what ends up happening with the 3.5?

If you really do want to pursue this as a pioneer, start with a tape measure and see if the 3.5 indeed would fit in the same space. If old hot rodders were successful in mounting a chevy small block in an MG then what you want to do may not be impossible, but it may be impracticle and expensive.

Also remember the definition of a pioneer, the guy with arrows stuck in his back. A few such arrows were already launched earlier in this thread.

It isn't even a Duratec in the sense that the 2.5L and 3.0L are. It is placed under the "Cyclone" engine family.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

Then click on the link for the Ford Cyclone engine page. You will then understand the differences.

EDIT: From the Cyclone Wiki page:

280px-Ford35DuratecEngine.PNG

I get your presumed ECU prblems, Ian, but your point is rendered moot by the fact that there are much larger obstacles to overcome with this swap...

Welcome, new guy. I'm sure if you try this swap, you will be universally respected. But much of CEG will give you meaningless crap until you buy a 3.5

I get your presumed ECU prblems, Ian, but your point is rendered moot by the fact that there are much larger obstacles to overcome with this swap...

Welcome, new guy. I'm sure if you try this swap, you will be universally respected. But much of CEG will give you meaningless crap until you buy a 3.5

The alternator is on the complete opposite side of the engine...Hence why I posted a picture. There are many differences dude.

Don't we have enough trouble getting tuned/modded 3L power to the ground? Leaving the R&D costs of fitting and getting the 3.5 running aside, the cost of the engine itself would be far too expensive for several years, and let's face it, CEG is kind of cheap. For the less money and with much less effort you can have a turbo/supercharged 3L with more power, and at least with a turbo you can sort of dial in the power. There is a lot of power to be had in the 3L application, to the point where that power almost becomes useless or a hindrance.

I am going to bet $1 on them not swapping since the 3.5 has little-to-no relation to the 2.5 or 3.0 duratecs.

I know that the new 3.5/7 engine swap has been brought up more than once before. Every time I think about it though, I can't help but to think how I'd rather have a built 2.3 duratec with a lot of forced induction. The price for such a swap at this point couldn't be any more than the first 3.5/7 swap. The upside would be that there's a lot of mods available for the 2.3. You can have a lighter engine with more power. Has this been discussed yet?

I know that the new 3.5/7 engine swap has been brought up more than once before. Every time I think about it though, I can't help but to think how I'd rather have a built 2.3 duratec with a lot of forced induction. The price for such a swap at this point couldn't be any more than the first 3.5/7 swap. The upside would be that there's a lot of mods available for the 2.3. You can have a lighter engine with more power. Has this been discussed yet?

2.3 Engine???????

these cars already have a traction problem...a lighter engine with more power is making things worse...... cue 4 wheel/AWD debate...:drool: ..G.

Back