• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre98 suspensions

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
Hello all,

Anyway, I gotta question. The pre98 SE's seem to be lower than the 98+. Is this true?
If so, are these 2 suspensions compatible? Would I be able to take a pre98 spsn and put it on a 98 SE ??
Also, what year(s) did the springs break on contours. Never knew about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
does it sit lower, not sure on that one.

you can put a pre98 suspension, make sure its the SE level, into a post 98. but because the springs are slightly different you need to also use the strut mounts from the pre98

I've seen 95s all the way thru 2K's break. It's unfortunately something all Contours seem to be potentially effected by.

As for the compatibility, the spring seat is actually different. I believe that BrApple is thinking of Cougars where early and late models have different upper rear strut mounts. If you want to use a pre-98 suspension on your post 98, you must use pre98 rear struts with pre98 rear springs. Fronts are interchangeable thru all years.

Hope that helps

~Josh

front springs are most definetly different pre to post 98. the pre98 front springs are tapered where as the post 98s are the same diameter for the whole spring. the way the spring sits on the perch is different.

I'll confirm tonight and compare my 95 to my 99 and take pics

Taken from the FAQ's

"The spring perch changed in 1998, so you must use 95-97 struts with 95-97 springs. 98+ springs cannot be used with 95-97 struts"

Now that you mention it you might be right Brian, I think i had front and rear mixed up, but i do believe all year contour upper strut mounts are identical, the difference lies in the front strut perch and front spring. Rears should be interchangeable. I also recall from a few years ago someone dug up spring rate info and actually found the pre-98 SE suspension to be stiffer than the SVT parts. :)

the pre98 SE suspension is indeed the stiffest

from the main site

Suspension specs pre-1998

F spring R spring F strut R strut F bar R bar
GL/LX 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
GL/LX 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
SE 24 kn/m 21 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 19mm(.75)

Suspension specs 1998

GL/LX 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
GL/LX 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
SE 20 kn/m 16 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 19mm(.75)

Suspension specs 1998.5

LX 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 16mm(.63)
LX 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
SE 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 18mm(.71)
SE 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 18mm(.71)

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=specs

Taken from the FAQ's

"The spring perch changed in 1998, so you must use 95-97 struts with 95-97 springs. 98+ springs cannot be used with 95-97 struts"

Now that you mention it you might be right Brian, I think i had front and rear mixed up, but i do believe all year contour upper strut mounts are identical, the difference lies in the front strut perch and front spring. Rears should be interchangeable. I also recall from a few years ago someone dug up spring rate info and actually found the pre-98 SE suspension to be stiffer than the SVT parts. :)

the strut perches are definately different, the strut mounts might be interchangable but I believe it would be best to use the appropriate year strut mounts for the year struts and spring that are going to be used

So, to make sure I'm not an idiot and am reading everything correctly.
PRE 98 Assemblies can go on a POST 98 providing you are using PRE 98 Struts AND springs. ALL the Upper strut mounts are the same? So my mounts on my 98 SVT will fit with PRE 98 Konis and Eibachs?

So, to make sure I'm not an idiot and am reading everything correctly.
PRE 98 Assemblies can go on a POST 98 providing you are using PRE 98 Struts AND springs. ALL the Upper strut mounts are the same? So my mounts on my 98 SVT will fit with PRE 98 Konis and Eibachs?

I do believe that is where we stand, pre and post 98 struts and springs are different but the strut mounts could be the same.

so the safest thing to do is to use parts all from the same year and you will defiantely be good to go ...

Back