• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Name change

Am i the only one who saw the estimated MPG and wish we could get that?

the most powerful motor you could get in a fiesta was 87 horsepower, and the base motor (with the advertised fuel economy) was something like 46.

That explains the fuel economy. So it depends then.. do you want 0-60 in 18 seconds? or poorer fuel economy and not piss everybody off getting onto the highway.

the most powerful motor you could get in a fiesta was 87 horsepower, and the base motor (with the advertised fuel economy) was something like 46.

That explains the fuel economy. So it depends then.. do you want 0-60 in 18 seconds? or poorer fuel economy and not piss everybody off getting onto the highway.

according to the advertisement it got to 50 in 8.8 seconds ;)
Fiesta/Wundercar said:
And a 1.6 litre engine for quickness: 0-50 in an average of 8.8 seconds in Ford testing (9.1 in California emissions equipped models).
other than it being hideous in my opinion, i think its a good start towards getting some of the better european cars over here, we'll see I guess.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of the early 90's American model :rolleyes:

That would be the "Festiva" ... and I'm certain you won't be the only one who will confuse the association, namely younger folks who were born in the 80s/90s (1984 here) and never knew of the American Fiesta.

Despite the name being completely different I also think of the Festiva when hearing about the Fiesta.
I just read that the US production of the Fiesta was from 1978 to 1980. Festiva was the US model in the late 80's to early 90's; Then it was the Aspire until '97.

..Festiva was the US model in the late 80's to early 90's; Then it was the Aspire until '97.

And lived on as the Kia Rio for years after that. It was always a Kia, though not always in name. Unremarkable cars, at best. The Aspire put out a rather wheezy 65 horsepower, but you can't blame Ford for it, as it was simply an exercise in badge engineering.

Sounds like the numbers for 0-60 was so disapointing that they decided to just do 0-50. lol

Couple of things at play there -- one was the double-nickel speed limit, in effect from 1974 to 1987. The other may well be tied to the fact that the adjustment to the emissions control era was challenging. While the technology of the 1980s surmounted the problems that kept performance and efficiency from coexisting comfortably at first, the resulting period of adjustment favored the occasional 0-50 stat for effect.

Couple of things at play there -- one was the double-nickel speed limit, in effect from 1974 to 1987. The other may well be tied to the fact that the adjustment to the emissions control era was challenging. While the technology of the 1980s surmounted the problems that kept performance and efficiency from coexisting comfortably at first, the resulting period of adjustment favored the occasional 0-50 stat for effect.

oh i know i was just being a smartass really.

Someone said Fiesta?

P1010343.jpg

P1010334.jpg

P1010327.jpg

P1010324.jpg

P1010323.jpg

Sweet car stoobie

That would be the "Festiva" ... and I'm certain you won't be the only one who will confuse the association, namely younger folks who were born in the 80s/90s (1984 here) and never knew of the American Fiesta.

Despite the name being completely different I also think of the Festiva when hearing about the Fiesta.

Both are three syllables, both start with a F, both end with an A, who cares what is in the middle because IMO it is the same crap anyways...

Buy yea, I guess I have always called the "Festiva" a "Fiesta," oh well :eek:

I did know that the Aspire followed though...

The sad thing is that people born in the 80s/90s will be the target market for this car. The name is nice, but I don't think it was a good idea due to the Festiva association.

Back