• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my very first 3l..

Yup it was a little sketchy with that hoist, first try it wouldn't go up far enough. And put your jack stands under the sides of the car not the front, and much higher too! Makes things much easier with room to work. I'm glad we got it out though. Now start tearing that 3L apart so we can get the cams put in before I leave.

Ya!! Thanks man for everything today after work I want to start pulling more parts off the blown motor and see what I'm working with but I also have adt security coming by today to look at my house to install some security since my house got broken into a couple weeks ago.. So hopefully Ill have this weekend off so I can put some good time into it.. I'm super pumped finally now that the motor is out I can actually start the build.. Gonna order some bugzukis any day now and start lookin at clutches and headers and whatnot.. So exciting!

ok so this weekend i would like to disconnect the trans from the blown motor.. supposedly the trans was rebuilt with new clutch about 2 yrs before engine blew.:rolleyes: who knows but id like to look at the diff to see if it has the pre or post 98 diff... anything i should avoid before i start hackin at the trans?

ok so i know its been a while but tomo i wanna swap my svt cams into my 3l. if i remember do i set crank to TDC and then put the svt cams and chains what not on etc? and as long as done correctly crank will spin like it should?? oh boy

Well somehow I managed to not read this thread until today and now that I read through it all... just a few comments...

-First motor did look fugly. My 05 engine had, IIRC, 43k on it and I got it for ~$350 before tax and core. I'm guessing since the guy you bought it from said it was a roll over they left it a little to long upside down and the oil pan emptied into the valve covers. So whatever gunk was in the pan was left in the heads. Then if he ran the engine again at a later time it toasted it into the gunk you see. Just a thought anyway...

-Fantastic choice getting a new engine. The one you have now looks exactly the way mine did when I tore it down. However that said most salvage yards run a cleaning agent through the engine as a few others mentioned, so that could be why it's so shiny new ;)

-These builds, depending on how you do it, can cost a bit of money. So don't feel like you need to rush it if you have another car to use. Take your time and buy the parts as you have the money. That's what a lot of us are doing, including myself.

All in all it looks like things are now back on the right path. Just take your time and everything will turn out perfect.

thanks guys.. ya its taking me alot longer than i really wanted but im not in a rush..so i do want to do it right and do it right the 1st time so im not pullin the engine back out a month or 2 month later. but rad merc svt i may hit you up on that offer..i really dont want to screw these cams up and since im going split port i been told a few time i should stick to the svt cams so i dont drop off just after the 2nd port opens..

It took me like 50 hours to completely do my 3.0L swap, with mostly 1-2 hour stints at a time, lol I was lazy, alone and had no motivation. I didn't cheap out and ripped the motor right down and replaced the bearings and what not. The nice thing was it started right up and I didn't have to touch the engine once after getting it going, no leaks, no problems and it's going strong with 9k miles and 1.5 years on it so far. Just take your time, you don't want to end up like the people that have to pull their engine three times before they get it right. Also you should really look into getting a LSD, with a 3.0L you'll just light up the tires in first gear otherwise. To put it in perspective, I spent almost $10000.00 Canadian in parts alone, with the transmission costing the most, it all adds up. I just wish the Canadian dollar was higher then the US dollar at the time, like now, because I bought 90% of my parts from the States and lost big on the currency differences, plus the shipping costs didn't help.

...because I bought 90% of my parts from the States and lost big on the currency differences, plus the shipping costs didn't help.

HA! Try buying parts from the UK... freaking British Pound Sterling.... and shipping ugh... that exchange blows

•••• so took a closer look at my svt cams that were pulled from old engine with the rod damage... It appears that on one of the cam lobes there is a small scratch.. I can almost catch the lip of the scratch with my fingernail.. I'm afraid it prolly happened when the rod blew to a million pieces. Should I still use them? Should I just go full 3.0 if its bad? Ill try to post a pic of it. when I get home. I really don't want to use the 3l cams with the split ports. Would a proper tune allow the 2nd port to open sooner to allow more power before it drops off after the 5500 rpms or so? Arrrgh

•••• so took a closer look at my svt cams that were pulled from old engine with the rod damage... It appears that on one of the cam lobes there is a small scratch.. I can almost catch the lip of the scratch with my fingernail.. I'm afraid it prolly happened when the rod blew to a million pieces. Should I still use them? Should I just go full 3.0 if its bad? Ill try to post a pic of it. when I get home. I really don't want to use the 3l cams with the split ports. Would a proper tune allow the 2nd port to open sooner to allow more power before it drops off after the 5500 rpms or so? Arrrgh

I may have a set of SVT cams for you... I'd have to go and pull the engine I have in the garage apart, but if your interested shoot me a PM.

Right on dudes ill send some pms when I get home and get the chance also I either need to get my uim and oil pan taken to a shop to get cleaned or just get replacements because both my svt uim and oil pan both have millions of tiny metal shards in them from the rod blowing up... Now I'm just tryin to weigh out the cost of all this as I am tryin to stay as cheap as possible but want to this all correctly the first time..

••••! That's what I'm so afraid of I haven't touched it hardly in the last month cuz I been somewhat broke but looks like ill end up just going full 3l at this point cuz finding someone with the svt cams and uim and stuff shipped and whatnot prolly be more trouble than I'm looking to deal with so I prolly just gonna go full 3l at this point cuz everythin on my 3l now is shard free lol. Should I go with just use my 3l cams and just go oval port instead of split port?

Going full 3L is a good option, then the engine remains intact and you don't have to worry about porting if you aren't comfortable doing that. But then you should have a tune, so it's not cheaper than port matching. I have SVT cams, uim, lim and pretty much whatever else is left over from a full 3L swap in case you go that route.

When I was deciding what to do with my swap I was trying to avoid cracking the engine open if I could, I would rather deal with making the full 3L fit and work than deal with porting and metal shavings and stuff like that. Lot's of people do that successfully but I've never done anything like that before. Actually now that my car is almost done the full 3L swap doesn't seem that intimidating anymore, I'm still too chicken to attempt a port match swap though.

Sorry to keep this thread going with my project moving so slow.... But looks like I am just gonna go with the oval ports and regular cams.. I'm having trouble finding the how to on pulling the pilot bearing out. Or should I just do the masking and cut it flush? Also gonna need to pick up a fuel rail mod or look at another way to hookin up the fuel. Also should I use my svt oil cooler? Just a lil worried with the metal shards all over the old engine. Prolly gonna get an escape pan since mine has billions of shards in it. Gonna need a new main pulley too as I chipped mine but it may be ok idk. My 3l is a sable motor so the throttle bracket is same as taurus? Just need to modifie that a bit for it to work? I'm sure I'm missing more.. I now it gonna need a tune and all but I just wanna plop this motor back in so I can roll my car out the garage so I can have my garage back and I can finish rthe car outside in the warmer weather

Back