• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My SVT may be dead ...

akrump47

CEG'er
As of 1:30 AM last night, my E0 is most likely totaled. Pics below - 2nd pic shows how the frame appears to be tweaked ... notice the doors :cry:

Smash1.JPG

Smash2.JPG

Smash3.JPG

Smash4.JPG

Smash5.JPG

What happened briefly - Several friends were at my house watching the pistons game last night. Friend #1 has bought an '06 STi recently, and he finally agreed to let me drive it yesterday. Friend #2 wanted to tag along so I let him drive my car. So we headed towards Outer drive/Rouge park near where Friend #1 lives. Friend #2 is younger than me and very enthusiastic about cars and loves my SVT ... he got excited and started driving my car faster, trying to play with me in the STi ... pushed things too far and flew past me, into a corner too fast, lost control and spun out ... from the STi I watched as my own car spun and hit several large boulders along the side of the road, sparks flew as it bounced over them and slid off into the grass.

I have so many mixed emotions about this ... first thing, I'm glad no one was hurt. I am very sad just knowing that I will probably never drive this car again ... I still love this car even despite its age and miles (98 with 140,000) ... and knowing that, I cant see how they wouldn't total it for this kind of damage. I am disappointed with my friend who wrecked the car, but I know he feels absolutely awful for what happened, and is letting me drive his car until I get a replacement ... he will cover my deductible and any other expenses. I think he has learned a lesson from the experience and I don't think I need to add to the shame and guilt he feels about the incident.

If there is a silver lining to this, it's that I should be able to get the car back and part it out for other CEG'ers to benefit from. Stay tuned ...

Great friend. Luckily no one was injured. And that's why I don't hand my keys to just anyone. You have to be at least 25 and know WTF you're doing.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't be totaled but by the looks of the damage it might be.

I am glad most of my freinds don't know how to drive a stick and the few that do actually know that they are doing (i.e. drive high powered mustangs for years and do dirt track racing)

I feel for you. One thing to cheer you up might be that you may get more money from the insurance company than you would for a private sale. Take the funds and move into your next SVT. You may find that the new car excitement is just what the doctor ordered.

Short of that -- have a stiff drink.

Look at the roof of the nearest building. Now look above it. That's where your premiums are going to be. :blackeye:

aww man I'm sorry. but he sounds like a good Friend fro letting you drive his car and taking the blame. most people would bale.

Look at the roof of the nearest building. Now look above it. That's where your premiums are going to be. :blackeye:

I don't know about that. With my insurance co. as long as the person driving the car doesn't live with you then your rates shouldn't go up. Had something similar happen a few years ago and it didn't affect my preimum. Hopefully the same will apply in his situation!

I don't know about that. With my insurance co. as long as the person driving the car doesn't live with you then your rates shouldn't go up. Had something similar happen a few years ago and it didn't affect my preimum. Hopefully the same will apply in his situation!

I thought if smoeone was driving your car and crash one of two things happens. 1 - if they have an insured vechile - it goes under their insurance or 2 - you uninsured motorist insurance covers the dmg. It may be a MN thing - being that we require EVERY vechile on the road to be insured. Good luck - sorry to see such a nice car get totaled..

Depends completely on the state. I have heard MI has some crazy rules with their no-fault insurance.

You have a good friend though!! (Apart from the crashing-the-car bit of course.)

Here in MI there are weird no-fault laws. It's possible my rates could go up, but they won't know until the police report is released (Detroit Police said they might not have it until Thursday). When I was younger I backed into someone with my mom's minivan and her rates went up, even though I was driving.

If they do skyrocket then I'll be talking to my friend about how he can compensate me for it. He owes me big time and he knows it.

Car was unofficially totaled today by the insurance adjuster. Still need to meet up and settle the claim, see how the numbers work out ...

That's why I don't let anyone drive my car.

I suppose if you handed me a bank check for what it would cost to replace it before i handed you the keys I might allow it.

When I was younger I backed into someone with my mom's minivan and her rates went up, even though I was driving.

If they do skyrocket then I'll be talking to my friend about how he can compensate me for it. He owes me big time and he knows it.

your rates won't go up. your parents rate went up because you are a listed driver on their vehicles when you're a dependent.

sucks to hear about your car though. what are you going to get to replace it?

Back