• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my roommates 3L vs 4cyl question

Bah, everyone upgrades their suspension anyway. I think that's a moot point.
exactly, your not gonna go through the trouble of installing a 3L and turbo and leave the stock SVT suspension on it. same thing with the turbo zetec.

elraido said:
And I don't understand the whole double vs triple hp thing. In the end doesn't it all come down to what car is faster? Not only that but I doubt the turbo 4 cyl can come close to the 3.0L turbo in trap speed. Burreta is trapping, at what, close to 120mph?

it was to prove that the stock zetec loves boost and can handle to power increase just as much if not more than the 3L. it does come down to who can get to the end of the track first. if the turbo 3L is spinning tires its not moving down the track very fast is it? the turbo zetec with less low end torque doesnt spin the tires like the the 3L does and will therefore likely get to the end first. i would also bet that it can hit just as high trap speeds as turbo 3L.

the zx3 only weighs about 176 lbs less than a zetec contour.
turbo zetec Focus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXxJGx0sYew

speaking of useless traction on lower gears...has anyone auto-x'd or anything with a turbo V6? Since traction is such a problem, and people usually auto-x in lower gears, is it nearly impossible?

well,some poeple look at who get's down the track first,et,and some people say the trap tells the real story:shrug:

well,some poeple look at who get's down the track first,et,and some people say the trap tells the real story:shrug:
even still, alot of the turbo focus guys are getting down the track quicker and arent that far behind in the trap speed.

(not to mention the car weighs about 300lbs less than a v6 version)

According to the list on this page http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html a fully dressed duratec 2.5/3.0L weighs 360lbs and according to wikipedia, a 2.0l zetec crate engine has a shipping weight of 370lbs.

I believe the difference in weight only varies significantly between trims/transaxles and not engines.

i've been saying that for awhile now. the zetec is cast iron..the duratec is all alum. fully dressed there really isnt a huge difference. i think what striker is saying is that a fully dressed zetec'd tour is going to be 300lbs lighter than a fully loaded duratec powered tour.:shrug:

all the more reason to start w/a stripper duratec powered lx w/manual windows and seats:laugh:

i've been saying that for awhile now. the zetec is cast iron..the duratec is all alum. fully dressed there really isnt a huge difference. i think what striker is saying is that a fully dressed zetec'd tour is going to be 300lbs lighter than a fully loaded duratec powered tour.:shrug:

I don't see why a Duratec GL/manual/no options would weigh significantly more than a Zetec GL/manual/no options. But there's going to be a big difference in weight between a GL/manual/no options and a SE/auto/fully loaded with either engine.

If there's information that says Zetec based Contours are 300lbs lighter than Duratec based Contours, I haven't seen it. I've always thought the weight differences are just in the trims/transaxles and that if anything the Duratec is lighter.

Whoever makes those lights at the end light up first is the winner LOL

Except that you'd be right only for "so long". higher traps indicate more speed once traction is gained (more power or MUCH LIGHTER car). Quicker ETs are a matter of traction, for the most part.

Once the car with a 92-102 etc trap is ABLE to get traction its a much more potent mix than the car with a lower trap increasing power a bit. My point is that the increases in potential would be much faster for the one that can tap in to the traction. That will yield a much wider difference than the one with traction tapping in to a few more horses, and I'd venture to say (almost) always cheaper to do so, too.

According to the list on this page http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html a fully dressed duratec 2.5/3.0L weighs 360lbs and according to wikipedia, a 2.0l zetec crate engine has a shipping weight of 370lbs.

I believe the difference in weight only varies significantly between trims/transaxles and not engines.
Your compairing actual weight to shipping weight. you cant do that because the crate itself will weigh quite a bit on its own.

all the more reason to start w/a stripper duratec powered lx w/manual windows and seats:laugh:

ok i found curb weights for both a duratec and a zetec contour.

the v6 is listed as 1392Kg (3062lbs)

the zetec is listed as 1256Kg (2763lbs)

3062-2763=299lbs:crazy:

i have another post somewhere that i had found actual weights of the zetec engine as well as the duratech. IIRC the zetec was about 100lbs lighter than the V6. Even though the V6 is all aluminum its a much larger engine than the zetec (an extra bank of cylinders will do that) ill try and find it and post it.

edit: found it

striker2 said:
this isnt really the right thread for this. but you cant take the curb wieght of a zetec tour and a duratec tour and determine the diff. in wieght is all in the engine..its not. fact is,like i stated,the i4 cast iron,the v6 is aluminum.

true, however the duratec does weigh in at a hefty 360lbs (fully dressed) and the zetec is only 115Kg (253lbs) thats a difference of 107lbs. its still not a huge difference. the extra 200lbs in the curb weight comes from extra options that were standard on the V6 and only optional on the zetec.

Last edited:
Except that you'd be right only for "so long". higher traps indicate more speed once traction is gained (more power or MUCH LIGHTER car). Quicker ETs are a matter of traction, for the most part.

Once the car with a 92-102 etc trap is ABLE to get traction its a much more potent mix than the car with a lower trap increasing power a bit. My point is that the increases in potential would be much faster for the one that can tap in to the traction. That will yield a much wider difference than the one with traction tapping in to a few more horses, and I'd venture to say (almost) always cheaper to do so, too.

So, while we're wishing for good traction in our FWD cars, I'd like a pony.:laugh:

Seriously though, why not just test top speed then? My old '89 trapped 92.5mph with a 15.2 before I did any mods...but would pull 143 at NHIS COM school...I still lost at the drags LOL.

Drag racing in itself is first one to the end of the 1/4 mile, not who went through fastest. As my 3rd grade teacher used to say, 'If "if's and buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas' :)

Last edited:
striker2;392660 the zx3 only weighs about 176 lbs less than a zetec contour. turbo zetec Focus [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXxJGx0sYew[/url]
Holy wheel hop batman!

Back