• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My new DD.

SHOspazz92

CEG'er
So for the last 5-6 years I've had some decent vehicles, but finding an all around vehicle to DD has been a challenge. It's its always been one extreme or the other when I've purchased something to DD and I have not been able to find a happy medium. Well, after searching far and wide for a nice Subaru Forester XT (5MT, Under 70,000 miles) I've just came up short. Everything I found just wasn't going to work for one reason or another.

However, a few days ago I noticed this WRB 2004 STI for sale locally. It was wingless, world rally blue and had only 50,000 miles on it. The price was right, the color was right, the mileage was right and it was near stock. So , after a test drive and a pretty good lookover, this is the result. My new DD. As a daily driver, it's a little rough around the edges (The 04 STI is a VERY RAW car, lets know EVERYTHING that's going on)...but for the most part it is quiet enough to remind you it's a newer car, fast enough to keep you entertained and with stock suspension, the ride is fantastic. So this is it for a long time, I'm selling off my trucks in the very near future and will have a nice car for me, nice car for the wife and the SHO to thrash without worry.

Enoy!

Very sharp! Finding one of these unmodified/unmolested is probably quite a challenge. North Carolina is easy on cars too, very little winter and no road salt that I remember when I lived in between Greensboro and Winston-Salem (Belews Creek). Those Brembo calipers are tasty. :laugh:

Good u got the 04 look I think that's the best look cause it dont have those bars in the grill how much that run you 10000+? Finding one that wast raced is also very hard cause everyone races now and runs them to hell.

Very nice car. Glad you plan on keeping it basically stock, it's so rare that you see these unmolested/unmodded. I have heard that a COBB accessport is the best upgrade you can do to stock STi's without ruining there daily drivability. So if you do ever desire to do anything to it I'd start there.

Very sharp! Finding one of these unmodified/unmolested is probably quite a challenge. North Carolina is easy on cars too, very little winter and no road salt that I remember when I lived in between Greensboro and Winston-Salem (Belews Creek). Those Brembo calipers are tasty. :laugh:

Indeed, car has been in the Tidewater/NC region it's whole life. The paint is in as good as condition as you'll find (Based on the fact that Subaru thought it would be funny to practically paint these thing with water colors).

Good u got the 04 look I think that's the best look cause it dont have those bars in the grill how much that run you 10000+? Finding one that wast raced is also very hard cause everyone races now and runs them to hell.

Kelly Blue Book a 2004 STI in excellent condition with 50,00 miles. Either way, I got it for under 20,000.

Very nice car. Glad you plan on keeping it basically stock, it's so rare that you see these unmolested/unmodded. I have heard that a COBB accessport is the best upgrade you can do to stock STi's without ruining there daily drivability. So if you do ever desire to do anything to it I'd start there.

The car has a 3'' Downpipe and Exhaust. It's still very liveable. It currently has a tune on it, but due to the fact I don't who tuned it, I am going to have a good friend have at it and leave it at that. Having a high 12 second DD is MORE then enough.

-Sam

Nice choice! When I got rid of my second GTI I thought long and hard about an STI but wanted an SUV at the time so I went with the K04 Tiguan. Enjoy it!

LOVE IT!! My favorite year and color. Nice find! Although...I am a fan of the big wings...gives it that Rally feel. The wings balance the look out between the low nose and that hoodscoop. The rear looks like its missing something without the wing. If not the tall one....at least a spoiler.

LOVE IT!! My favorite year and color. Nice find! Although...I am a fan of the big wings...gives it that Rally feel. The wings balance the look out between the low nose and that hoodscoop. The rear looks like its missing something without the wing. If not the tall one....at least a spoiler.

Have to agree with you on the balance thing. I love the wingless deck lid on that car though. If it were mine I would trade hoods with some kid with a regular WRX to get the smaller scoop. As a DD there would be PLENTY of airflow with the normal scoop for that top mount intercooler. Maybe even get some cash in the deal.

Have to agree with you on the balance thing. I love the wingless deck lid on that car though. If it were mine I would trade hoods with some kid with a regular WRX to get the smaller scoop. As a DD there would be PLENTY of airflow with the normal scoop for that top mount intercooler. Maybe even get some cash in the deal.

You would be surprised how much the Larger STI intercooler would suffer with a normal WRX hoodscoop. Not to mention, the factory hood is INCREDIBLY lite weight. So much so, that most aftermarket carbon fiber hoods weigh MORE then the stock one. :shocked:

-Sam

You would be surprised how much the Larger STI intercooler would suffer with a normal WRX hoodscoop. Not to mention, the factory hood is INCREDIBLY lite weight. So much so, that most aftermarket carbon fiber hoods weigh MORE then the stock one. :shocked:

-Sam

I would be VERY interested in seeing some datalogs to that effect because I don't believe it for a second (no offense :))

Kelly Blue Book a 2004 STI in excellent condition with 50,00 miles. Either way, I got it for under 20,000.

Don't ever use KBB for anything. No body uses it. According to KBB, from a dealer, it lists at $29,045. From a private party $25,000. NADA is what a majority of banks use. According to that it is $15,750. A clean, unmolested car would have a premium on it....so I would say around $17K at the very top end. Great looking car though! Sure it is a ton of fun to drive...the only thing I didn't like about my 02 WRX was the materials didn't seem to be the greatest quality. You are right though about the hood. They are stupid light.

-Sam

This is very true. Despite what most people think. The large wing and hoodscoop are not there for aesthetics. They actually serve a function on the STi version of the WRX.

I would be VERY interested in seeing some datalogs to that effect because I don't believe it for a second (no offense :))

Sorry, It's not so much the scoop itself, but the splitter under the STI scoop that is such an important factor. Many have upgraded to the STI intercooler on their WRX's using the stock scoop and the stock WRX splitter (under the scoop) with lackluster results. The larger intercooler just because a larger heatsink without the proper seal/airflow from the STI splitter. I'm sure if you google it, you'll find some kind of logs for it, I don't have them. But this has been common knowledge in the Subaru world for years.

Don't ever use KBB for anything. No body uses it. According to KBB, from a dealer, it lists at $29,045. From a private party $25,000. NADA is what a majority of banks use. According to that it is $15,750. A clean, unmolested car would have a premium on it....so I would say around $17K at the very top end. Great looking car though! Sure it is a ton of fun to drive...the only thing I didn't like about my 02 WRX was the materials didn't seem to be the greatest quality. You are right though about the hood. They are stupid light.

I would never use KBB to price the car (Tho KBB claims my car is worth 25,000 in my area). The bank's don't either, they use Black Book. NADA is a good starting point but all of their prices reflect retail, not private party. I would guarantee you would NEVER find a 50,000 mile STI for anywhere near 15,900. Even finding one with 75,000 miles at that price would be a chore. I paid 18,000 for this car , paying close attention to the used STI market. The price was spot on.

Super clean, wowsa!

Thanks!

-Sam

Back