• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Please Please Help !! Car Won't Start !!

Okay guys , i almost give up with this car !!
Here is the story !!
Bought it 4 months ago from an auction !! `99 SE V6 auto !! 113k miles !!
The car was running really good!!
CEL came on ... p1131 , p1151 and i replaced both sensors and after that i was going to do the "resistor fix" . I got two sensors from the local junk yard(from a 02-03 Focus)
Car started after that , but it was not running good ... jerking bad on first and second gear .. and then it suddenly stopped !!
Engine turns fine .. just no start !! it wants to start but something is wrong !!

Fuel pump works!
There is plenty of fuel in the rail when i push the valve !!
There is spark and the spark plugs are wet ( that means injectors work )
Replaced crank and cam sensors ... still the same
I don't know what to do next !!!

I REALLY NEED SOMEONE'S HELP !!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE , HELP !!!!!

Do you have spark?

Do you have spark?

Have you checked for spark? A cheap timing light or a little brother will tell you this in short order.

check your iac, put a little pressure on the throttle peddle when you start it so to open the t body. If that doesnt work. Unplug your maf and try again, if that doesnt work you may have fouled the plugs too badly and they may need replaced because I dont see an intake leak stopping your car from starting, usually a maf wont either. i bet iac

Definitely need more information here Petar. What exactly did the codes say, what did you replace, what resistor fix, et cetera. Give us some more info and we'll figure this out! get back to us soon.

I assume the codes were for Cam position sensor and Crank sensor since that's what you replaced. If you replaced them with sensors from a Focus...there may be a calibration difference or resistance difference between those and the factory sensors. If Cam position sensor is out of spec because it is from the focus, then I could see the car doing exactly what it is doing right now...not running. (Wrong Cam position value = wrong cam timing/ignition+fuel timing) This would cause the mmotor to fire (you get spark) fuel delivery is still fine (wet plugs) but spark timing per the fuel/ignition timing is now off (not going to start). The crank position sensor is a magnetic pick-up type sensor so that SHOULDNT pose a problem as long as the focus sensor is the same magnetic type. You are getting spark so that says to me that at least the ECU is seeing the signal to the coil pack from the Crank sensor. My bet is that the cam position sensor is not the same spec/value as the OEM contour sensor. Try a different sensor off another 6 cylinder contour or just break down and buy one from autozone, O'reilleys. advance, napa, etc... They aren't too expensive. get back to us....

edit...I just reread your post and I now see that you had te problem BEFORE you replaced the Cam/Crank sensors .....so we need to know what exactly the codes are and what you replaced.

Read this one for the 1151 code. This sounds like the O2 sensor issue but I would put the old sensor back on after you check your injector harnesses and fire it back up. if you still have the same problem with 1151 code (assuming you've figured out the 1131 code and can start the car) switch back to the newer O2 sensor that you picked up and try a good test drive again.

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=45778&highlight=p1151

tnx to everyone ... car was fixed and now it is running like new:)
the problem was the fuel pressure regulator i guess....i replaced it and it started... weird problem !!
anyway tnx again!

Back