• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Motor swap questions..

TK95Contour

CEG'er
Hello, Im planning on doin a motor swap in my 95 contour SE. Its a 2.5 Duratec with a 5 speed. 2 days ago i came across a 1999 Contour sport V6 auto with 45k miles, totally spotless but had been rear-ended and therefore totaled. I pulled the entire motor from it and got it for $100!! Its completely clean , has fresh oil and i cant find a single leak anywhere. Now ive searched for answers and didnt find anything that answered my specific questions which are ::

1. What cant i use off the 99s motor?
2. What sensors/plugs/fuel lines or injectors will need to be changed??
3. Do i need to swap flywheels?
4. Anything specific i should do/know before pulling my engine??

Now the motor thats in my car burns and leaks oil majorly and i figured instead of rebuilding id just replace. I thought about doing the 3L but would rather just put another 2.5 in it and make it as easy as possible. I know the IMRC is totally different because mines vacum , but i was just wondering if anybody could give me any info before i jump into it. I need all the help i can get and hope to have the motors swapped in a weekend or so. Thanks alot for helping keep my contour on the road! Ive gained a ton of knowledge here on the contour and know this is the best place to ask about performing my first motor swap!!! Thanks again!

To sum it up, it is almost a straight swap. You will need to keep your vacuum operated secondaries (IMRC functions). You will probably want to replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. And then all of your original wire harnesses will be used. The technical term for the parts of the engine from the '99 you will be using is called a "long block". That signifies you are using everything from the new motor but the intake/fuel delivery/wire harness'. Things should start to click when you dive into it.

It should go pretty smooth for you. Be careful of the original wire harness in your car now. It will most likely be fragile. You can ask questions along the way, we can help ya.

My harnesses are shot. I have all the new ones and gona replace them as i go along. hopefully it works alright. im just worried about pullin the dash a little.

You don't need to pull the dash. There is no reason to replace the dash harness. Make sure all your harness' are for a 1995 only. It is the only OBDI system out of all the contours and basically has a unique harness setup.

Back