• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mega Fuse Question?

RE: battery light flickering

RE: battery light flickering

I have the same battery problem. My battery light was intermittent, and everything worked fine. No lights were dimming, everything worked fine, but every once in a while the battery light popped on. I dont like the battery light, especially on the freeway, so today i threw my car up on stands and did some surgery.:cool:
I found out two things. The wires were fine, no cracks or tears. The connections were fine. I didnt test my alternator, but i didnt need to. it was the original alternator (1999) and i knew that it would be one of two things-wiring or alternator.
Trouble is, replacing the alternator on the 4cyl Zetec is a blast!!!! If you dont have the Haynes, i recommend it. You have to take off a bunch of stuff, and I would recommend a 10mm Gear wrench, and a curved crescent 10 mm to get the last alternator mounting bolt off.
Im 80% done with the alternator replacement. I found out the PCV hose was pretty much melted and had several holes in it, so i will have to hold out on finishing til i pick up a hose and a valve tomorrow. Luckily, I work at a parts store, and the total cost for the new alternator, hose, and valve will be about 85-90 bucks. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Any specific tool you used to move it? Me and my friend used a 13mm wrench cause there is a nut in the center of the pulley and we tried to use that as a means of grip to get at it? Problem is, the frame runs right along there leaving like an inch or two of space between the nut and frame making it hard to get at.

i used a long wrench and ole fashion muscle ... lol just spray the crap out of it with some zep or similar . to me it was easier then taking the engine mount off .

Sry, for the long time in a respone guys. Been really busy at work. Anwho, thanks for all the input about the alternator. It definitely gives me an idea of what to do. Now time to actually go ahead and change it out.

I'll keep you all updated.

Back