• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

looking for brighter headlights

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Alright, i'm looking to get some brighter headlights to go with my clearer headlight lenses. When i got my car 3 years ago, stuck in Sylvania Cool Blues, and well, they sucked then, and they still suck now. I was looking into getting Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, but then i found these...

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.a...g|Bulb+Size=9006+(HB4)&canned_results_trigger=

And here is a review that someone did with different headlight bulbs...

http://www.stylintrucks.com/Articles/0909_HeadlightBulbComparison/article.aspx

I guess what i'm getting at is, does anyone have any experience with the IPCW Wizzard Ultra White bulbs or does anyone recomend a certain bulb to REALLY light up the road?

why not just get a set of HIDs from DDMtuning.com? for about $40 shipped you can get a set of 35 watt 4500K 9006 HIDs that will have about 2-3 times more light output than any regular bulb you can find. they also have a lifetime warranty so if they ever go out for some reason you can have them replaced (or for the price just buy another set).
http://ddmtuning.com/products/102/

install is easy, and to help prevent glare to oncoming traffic you angle the headlights down just a little more than would be normal for traditional halogen bulbs (plus the "flutted" lenses of the pre98 headlights helps a lot as well).

The Silverstar ultras are 4100K. would it really make that much of a difference, or should i go with a 5000 or 6000K? also, would i have to worry about the headlight housing melting?

The Silverstar ultras are 4100K. would it really make that much of a difference, or should i go with a 5000 or 6000K? also, would i have to worry about the headlight housing melting?

they have 4100K color but they dont have the lumens of HIDs. HIDs only operate at 35 watts, which is less than the 55 or 60 watts of the standard halogens, so there is no risk of melting the headlights.

for reference, Silverstars put out about 1000 lumens, while 4300K HIDs typically put out about 3200-3400 lumens.

alright, i see, but still, according to the chart, it shows that 5000K is a brighter white, so wouldnt that be better than 4500? its the same price... Also, i was wondering if it was possible to sand down the 'fluttered' lenses to make them clear, or should i just leave them fluttered?

edit: are those just plug and play kits? they look like it...

4300-4500k is the best warmth for driving. Unless you want to get into the science behind light (color temperature, visible spectrum, etc) then trust us that...

4500k HIDs > Anything non HID and 5000k+ HIDS

Example:

colortempchart.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the chart. i was also looking around and i'm going with the 4500K. I'm ordering parts now, should be here in 7-10 days!

awesome

i've been thinking about going this route for a while but for some reason the install holds me back. Everyone says it's easy, but what exactly is all involved with installing these?

Step 1 - Unplug connector from headlights.
Step 2 - Plug that connector into new ballast.
Step 3 - Remove old bulb, plug in new bulb.
Step 4 - Plug in new ballast into new bulb.

*DO NOT TOUCH NEW BULB WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

The oil from your fingers is said to reduce the life of the glass... they say the same thing for theatrical lights but I never had an issue.

You may need to attach a wire to the battery as well, but I don't recall.

It really is simple. Hardest part is deciding where to mount the two ballasts so they are out of sight.

Oh wow, I had no idea it was literally that simple. I guess I didn't know what to expect, I just didn't want to mess around with all kinds of wiring...I'll be ordering a kit soon :)

For the Contour, it's incredibly simple. It took me less than 15 minutes for both sides.

I run DDM HID kit's in both my SVT's. The price is right.

remember that the plug into the low beam harness will need to be flipped over.

good call on the 4500k DDMtuning kit. that is what I am running in all of my cars. here are pics of the kit in my mystique. not with the raptor kit they are sometimes intermittant in lighting in both cars the kit has been in. no issues with the ddm kit

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/album.php?albumid=173

Thats where i purchased the HID kit from just now (ddmtuning.com). cant really beat those prices.

So just one question here since you are the one who got them recently.. Is there a cable that needs to be connected to the battery it's sounds like a great kit but it might be a task since my battery it's located in the trunk..

So just one question here since you are the one who got them recently.. Is there a cable that needs to be connected to the battery it's sounds like a great kit but it might be a task since my battery it's located in the trunk..

I have a DDM kit for my Contour too. If your just running 35w ballasts, you can run them on the stock wiring. Its not nessessary to run power from the battery.

Back