• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LCA removal again

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
obviously I'm having problems getting the lower ball joint out of the hub/knuckle.

after searching i have employed a crow bar. then a long pry bar about 4 feet long (jack handle). i also tired using an air chisel to help open up the hub but that did not work. i just picked up a pickle fork ( ball joint separator).

i was wondering if there was something i missed. i know this is not a simple unbolt and remove. thanks everyone.

i am going to go stand on the long pry bar.

i should also add that yes i am using a jack to lift up the hub to give the ball joint room to fall out.

Last edited:
Have you tried shoving a pry bar through the lower control arm toward the subframe then pushing down on the control arm that way? I used to pry like a mother on the ball joint and it NEVER worked well, the last time (different car though) I shoved the pry bar through the control arm and it popped effortlessly.

through it, OK. you mean through the center? correct. ill give it a shot. thanks for your help.

Yeah through the opening of the LCA. Basically over the balljoint area (but off to the side of it) through the center section and seated under the inside of the LCA (the side bolted to the subframe) then just push down on the prybar. Did you try it yet?

I usually use a pry bar to prys down on the LCA, take the pinch bolt out for the ball joint spray some penetrating oil and use a hammer on the pry bar as while pushing down on the pry bar to work the ball joint out

remove the strut pinch bolt and slide the hub up as high as it will go on the strut, this will give you some extra spave to get the ball joint out ...

The only diffderence I did from 96blackse is I hammered in a pry bar or screw driver into the hub where the pinch bolt pinches and then pounded away at the LCA or prybar while pushing on the prybar.

i have been lifting the hub up. i just need to try some force. I'm going to work on it today. i have not been trying to hard because i have had a 2nd car to drive this week due to my mom being out of town. but she comes home today so i would like to have my car back on my side of the garage for her. thanks for all your help everyone.

IF i come up with something different i will post it for everyone.

well using my 4ft jack handle will work in the manner described above. but the handle is bending and i would rather not damage that. maybe i will have to go pick up some pipe at the hardware store. damn

picked up a 4.5' pipe. still having a hard time getting this sucker out. i think its a little more than half way out. grr

i was hoping i could get it do drop without removing the strut pinch bolt. but it looks like i am going to have to do so. that way i can get that clearance for the LCA.

Last edited:
well a new problem has come up. the knuckle when raised with a jack will come out ( toward the out side of the wheel well). also making the drive shaft slip in and out of the trans. i can not get it to go strait up. to allow me to put the ball joint back in. i took off the strut pinch bolt so the knuckle would slide up the strut. thats not really working. but it dose move by hand.
any thoughts?

You're scaring me. I want to tackle this this weekend and I don't have another vehicle if I don't get it done.

well theres got to be a simple fix to this.

I'm worried that i am going to bend my strut.

I'm going out to pick up more cigarettes.

Last edited:
is a pic worth a thousand words? o yea and a O-Ring showed up. i have no idea where it was. kinda odd

P1010057.jpg

Last edited:
big enough pic?

if the axle isnt seated quite right just give the hub/knuckle a couple good solid pushes and it should pop back into place. then you can put the ball joint back in the knuckle.

Back