• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diffuser Screen

primalzer1998

CEG'er
Well I've been doing a little research on here and the old forums, and didn't really get a definite answer. Just got my tax return and gonna do the RU 3530 and MAF adpater. Now do i need to do the diffuser screen? From what i've read it just makes the intake air smooth (restriction?:shrug:) so the MAF gets an accurate reading. Does anybody have this set up without the screen? Opinions for or against? It HAS to be there for a reason...

-Jon

I don't see it being much of a restriction. If you've got one, use it. Try without it a few weeks later for a couple days to see if there is any difference.

If you don't have one available, I wouldn't sweat it.

In regards to "smoothing", this has been discussed MANY times before, and the consensus was that a wire mesh will not smooth the air, and actually may cause turbulence. Now some MAFs have a 1" deep honeycomb which should smooth the air. I've only seen those on OEM turbo'd cars.

Any change in your intake will alter your MAF curve. Leave it in unless you have something with which to change said MAF curve.

In regards to "smoothing", this has been discussed MANY times before, and the consensus was that a wire mesh will not smooth the air, and actually may cause turbulence. Now some MAFs have a 1" deep honeycomb which should smooth the air. I've only seen those on OEM turbo'd cars.

It does "smooth" the air, but not in the way you think. It evens out the velocity profile across the MAF, allowing the MAF to make more consistant and accurate readings. Will removing it degrade performance? hard to say, generally, its not a big enough thing to be noticed, but in some cases, driveability problems arise because of its removal.

Well I've ordered the MAF adapter and the filter, without getting the MAF gasket and whatnot. I'll keep my airbox around and can change back if i start to have driveability issues. With my luck it probably will. But in 2 weeks ill be down at BAT Inc.!!! :laugh: Going down to see my parents and they live literally 2 blocks from the BAT office and warehouse. Its so hard not going there and spending ALL of my money!

-Jon

Back