• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"IT" official! Fall Dragon Run-Sept28th-30th

Roger I tried to setup our bike trip that weekend but everyone wants to go the weekend before. How are those cabins? how far from the dragon is it?

just watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvA1XIBm4PA&mode=related&search=

The cabins are 60 miles away from the Dragon, but that 60 mile drive is on Cherahola Skyway. Think of it as a "warm up" for the Dragon, but the turns are larger and elevation much higher, like 3-5K+:cool: Very scenic!

While planning a weekend trip for me and the lady, guess what's going on the same weekend just down the road?!?!?! In sunny Valley, NC, there's a BBQ festival going on Saturday. I know all of ya'll from the south can appreciate good BBQ, but ya'll yanks really need to git somma that! :D

holy crap 57 miles thats crazy LOL

Excellent ride though Steeda. Bring your jacket 'cause it gets a bit 'brisk' at those elevations, and the pulloffs have some of the best scenery in the country during the fall. Might be a little early when you go, but there should be some nice color.

Stop at the info building near 68 on your way to the cabins. Grab some maps for the Forest Service hiking trails & go on a hiking adventure. Some falls to visit up there, but it's a bit of a trek (some through rugged terrain) to get to them - seldom seen so bring a camera. Oh, and don't trust the signs, use the maps.

If you or your buds like the hiking, there are some geo-caches hidden up in the hills around there. Two are located somewhere near each end of the Dragon's Tail. Always a nice side trip to pick up, & in turn leave, a souvenir.

Sorry everyone already has taken the time off roger. Plus i have to be in a wedding the weekend that you guys are going. Try to go the week before?

I'm going to be in that area (Gatlinburg) on vacation from Sept 1-8. I've been thinking about making a drive down the Dragon while there, except I'll have my Explorer so all I'll be thinking is "damn, I wish I had the 'Tour..."

I drove on the Cherohala Skyway east to west once back in March of 2000 in my still stock CSVT. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful drive. Only saw 3 other vehicles over the whole 50 miles in the early/mid afternoon, and they were all going the other way. I've got pics (film) around here somewhere of that day....

Last edited:
I'm going to be in that area (Gatlinburg) on vacation from Sept 1-8. I've been thinking about making a drive down the Dragon while there, except I'll have my Explorer so all I'll be thinking is "damn, I wish I had the 'Tour..."

I drove on the Cherohala Skyway east to west once back in March of 2000 in my still stock CSVT. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful drive. Only saw 3 other vehicles over the whole 50 miles in the early/mid afternoon, and they were all going the other way. I've got pics (film) around here somewhere of that day....

c'mon with the csvt when we all go or the explorer. dont matter. SUV's can be fun too:crazy:

Remember to hit me up when you do come down this way. I'd love to get some input from you! Wish you would bring the csvt though

Back