• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is there a decent write up on doing Hightowers?

PacificTourG

Veteran CEG'er
For the longest time I've wanted to do this mod and now I'm finally considering it. I want to paint the insides black.

I know how the process works, but I'm looking for a good how-to on hightowers.

Aesthetics > Lighting > "How to Hightowers"

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4031&highlight=hightowers

That is the best write up and if you dont stray from what it says, you will be fine. I did mine using his write up and one side leaked because I didnt use clamps to seal it up. USE CLAMPS. If you do, you wont have any leaks. Also make sure you wipe the inside of the lense before you seal it up. I have zero finger prints on the inside because I cleaned it and used clean latex gloves. Good luck.

Ok. Thanks for that.

So I want to paint the insides black. What kind of paint can I use and do I need to use clear coat? I don't want the paint to chip off over the time.

Any black paint will work really... You shouldnt need clear coat, as long as you get the bezel inside prepared correctly. A clear coat will ultimately make it more glossy, although it shouldnt need clear. IMO

i did this mod to my sable last year and i used gloss black engine paint so the bulbs dont bake the paint it gets pretty hot in there. it has held up great and i always drive with my lights on.

So I want to paint the insides black. What kind of paint can I use and do I need to use clear coat? I don't want the paint to chip off over the time.

I should really go back and update that How-To I did to include this sort of information.

I used regular old Rustolem gloss black paint when I did my first set of headlights. They are still holding up just fine. As contourspd98 already mentioned any black paint will work.

Back