• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil blowing by filter seal 3 times now.....

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Can someone please help me explain this. I posted in pics and vids because I thought it would be good to show what 11 qts of oil looks like on your garage floor :nonono:.
I just blew the 3 filter out in a row. Each was the same brand (supposedly a "FRAM" made filter but has no brand tag).

I am just concerned now - My next step is a different brand filter because I have never had what they are putting on there. 100% Penzoil filters ever since I have owned the car (8 years) and no problems. Do any of you have filter suggestions and what could be causing this?

Here is the pics and vids thread: http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=30031

Someone posted recently about having some pressure relief valve sticking closed (or open) causing a similar problem.

Here it is link

One of the reasons I wont use a cheap Fram filter or any Honeywell made filter. Especially not when the quality Purolator made Motorcraft is $3.50.

I read that thread and there is a lot of good info there. BUT he was blowing the filters up! Mine is good sometimes right away then others not.... His was bad everytime.

-Mine was changed and I drove 10 miles and everything was ok.

-Next morning started (45 deg.) and leaked out the filter gasket immediatly and did not dimple the filter.

-Changed the filter and oil again within the hour, started it up, checked for leaks, all good.

-Start it up 5 minutes later, leaked out the filter gasket immediatly and still no dimples on the filter.

-Changed the filter and oil again, started it up, no leaks. Shut it down. let sit for 1 min. started it up, no leaks. Drove it HARD back and fourth down the street to try to build oil pressure and put it in the harshest condition to see if there was a failure. Nothing, everything is good. Drove it to work and back for 3 days (approx 60 miles total) and then today it leaked out again upon startup after work:shrug:

Penzoil filter for the last 8 years, no problem. Installed new UIM, TB, PCV valve, TPS sensor and harness. Drove the car approx 300 miles on the new build. Oil changed with new "fram" blank white filter with 3 failures in a row :shrug: It has got to be the filters..... I got a Motorcraft filter and a Napa Gold. I am going to go with the motorcraft first and see what happens..... probably on saturday morning (tomorrow)

I feel sick.....

If you haven't already, make sure the old filter gasket ring isn't stuck to the block. I've had good luck with the Motorcraft FL820S filter (Duratec).

It could also be a bad batch of oil filters that the oil place received!:shrug: A couple boxes of defective oil filters or something...:blackeye:

- amyn

This is my only hunch right now. I think the media blasting material that I use for blasting parts for powder coating is ending up in the oil pump. "Black 98 svt" has had the same situation happen to him and seems to be right after he also installed his freshly powder coated valve covers.

I should have cleaned my valve cover insides after blasting WAY better (like toothbrush and magnify glass cleaning). I think the brown hue that was on the underside of the valve cover from the media was the oil pumps ultimate demise.... pole120 and I are pushing to get the motor pulled and install a new oil pump before SZ. It will be tight, but I will do whatever I can.....

SO EVERYONE WHO GETS PARTS POWDER COATED, CLEAN THEM! IT IS NOT MY JOB TO CLEAN YOUR ENTIRE PART. I ONLY BLAST, CLEAN, AND POWDER COAT WHAT I NEED TO.

I am being punished for my own carelessness :(

Sorry to hear, Joe. I've always used Motorcraft only (until recently I actually haven't cared which brand). I've never had this issue knock on wood. Hopefully you find the solution.

I think the media blasting material that I use for blasting parts for powder coating is ending up in the oil pump.
This would be more likely to cause a LACK of oil pressure in my experience. But it would also take a LOT of :censored::censored::censored::censored: going through the pump to get to that point... more than should result from a little leftover media. Gerotor gear pumps are extrememly durable.

I think it's more likely a filter/sealing issue. Cheap aftermarket filters often have poorly machined threads or even the incorrect pitch. Like Mystaque said - make sure you're double-gasketing it. Then like Loki said - check the threads on the adapter that screws into the block. If they're good, put on a Motorcraft filter, or one of the Penzoil one's that worked for you for so long, and be done with it. Why would you switch from something that worked so well for so long? ESPECIALLY when it comes to your oil. :nonono:

The oil system is your car's lifeblood - it's the LAST place you want to skimp. You don't need to buy the $10+ filters, but I would be skeptical of anything cheaper than $4.

Last edited:
This would be more likely to cause a LACK of oil pressure in my experience. But it would also take a LOT of :censored::censored::censored::censored: going through the pump to get to that point... more than should result from a little leftover media. Gerotor gear pumps are extrememly durable.

I think it's more likely a filter/sealing issue. Cheap aftermarket filters often have poorly machined threads or even the incorrect pitch. Like Mystaque said - make sure you're double-gasketing it. Then like Loki said - check the threads on the adapter that screws into the block. If they're good, put on a Motorcraft filter, or one of the Penzoil one's that worked for you for so long, and be done with it. Why would you switch from something that worked so well for so long? ESPECIALLY when it comes to your oil. :nonono:

The oil system is your car's lifeblood - it's the LAST place you want to skimp. You don't need to buy the $10+ filters, but I would be skeptical of anything cheaper than $4.

you honestly think that in all the time i've been on ceg, no one had heard of this problem. all of a sudden me and joe JUST put our valve covers on and the same thing happens. coincidence? i think not. i will guarantee you that this is what happened. the material collected in the oil pump and blocked the relief valve from moving. that in turn caused so much pressure that the seals blow right out. kind of ironic that me and joe both have around 12 quarts of oil each on our driveways right now

Last edited:
I am going to work right now where the car is stranded to put on my napa gold filter I have picked up. I just have to hope that it makes it back to Josh's shop and then the motorcraft one will be put in after the swap is done.

Is there any type of oil system cleaner I can put in before we do the swap to make sure all the gunk has settled or even possibly cleaned out the pump enough to be ok ????

Since the media blasting particles seems to be the problem, I would also pop your valve covers (and whatever else you had powdercoated and attached to the motor) and make sure all the crap is off of them. Otherwise you'll be right back in the same boat again. There are oil system cleaners out there like seafoam, but idk if they will work to clean everything out :shrug: Sorry to hear this Joe, good luck.

you honestly think that in all the time i've been on ceg, no one had heard of this problem. all of a sudden me and joe JUST put our valve covers on and the same thing happens. coincidence? i think not.
I honestly think that until it's torn down, there are other possiblities, which is why I posted other possiblities. The logical flow of troubleshooting starts at less obtrusive diagnostics.

i will guarantee you that this is what happened. the material collected in the oil pump and blocked the relief valve from moving.

See, when I read, "This is my only hunch right now." in his last post, I thought that meant it hadn't been torn down yet which would mean to most people that there could be more than one possible root cause. My bad.

3L costs more than a couple dollars. Pulling the motor and changing a oil pump costs $100 + Josh's labor and some time.... not ready for a 3L. I will do so when the motor I have is toast :).

UPDATE:
I ran a oil system cleaner through the motor for 5 minutes and drained the oil. I put a motorcraft filter on right away and added the 5w30 penzoil oil. All is well again :shrug:

I wonder if it is fixing itself even more every time it needs the new filter.... If it does not blow out again before SZ I am driving it there for sure. If it blows again by wednesday or so, we will be bringing the Impala :cry:

It just blew out filter # 4... Which was a motorcraft with 6 QTs of penzoil 5w30. I think it definetly needs the new pump.... :cry:

Back