• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is meguairs 26 a good topper?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
I have the mirror glaze 26 and i thought it was a good carnauba topper for black, but it doesn't add depth it maybe lets the car collect dust. I tried layering it on some klasse sealant glaze :(

Just get some Gold Class if you wanna easy to get Carnuba, or head to your local Harley Davidson shop and pick up a $15 can of S100 Carnuba wax. The S100 doesnt collect half te dust some Meguires products do....

Last edited:
I personally like the #26 but the dust collection is pretty rediculous. I thought it gave a pretty deep shine on my T-Red SE. Personally, I think #26 is better than Gold class and tons easier to remove. Maybe its just me, but if you apply the gold class on too thick, its a b**** to get off!

#26 is my favorite LSP. I always top my sealant w/ a carnuba-based product, which up until recently has been #26. I received Gold Class as an X-mas gift and tried that on my most recent detail (see my post in pics and videos titled "Spring Detail"), I think #26 looks better (more of a wet look). #26 is reported to last quite a bit longer than Gold Class. As for the dust, almost every (if not every) LSP will have a dust attraction issue due to the rubbing that is required in order to remove it from the paint (thereby creating static electricity). Some products attract less dust, but the fact remains that you will need to do some maintenance (duster, QD) to keep the surface dust free.

I personally like the #26 but the dust collection is pretty rediculous. I thought it gave a pretty deep shine on my T-Red SE. Personally, I think #26 is better than Gold class and tons easier to remove. Maybe its just me, but if you apply the gold class on too thick, its a b**** to get off!

Any product applied too thick will increase the likelihood of removal issues. The beauty of a machine such as the PC is that it spreads the product very thin, thereby making removal much easier....plus you use much less product so everything lasts longer:cool:

well, I haven't gotten that deep deep black look I wanted, regardless of the layers of carnauba I put.

Maybe I should use 3 or 4 coats of sealant glaze. I've only gone so far as 2, and the 2nd one was more of a half ass attempt.

I'll try the 26 again tomorrow and hopefully all goes well.

This is what #26 looks like topping #20 (Polymer Sealant):

car_1028044_reduced.jpg

For a wetter look, use a polish (#7 or #81) before the sealant. For the wettest look, use the polish on top of #26:cool:

This is what #26 looks like topping #20 (Polymer Sealant):

car_1028044_reduced.jpg

For a wetter look, use a polish (#7 or #81) before the sealant. For the wettest look, use the polish on top of #26:cool:

you serious? Polish on TOP of the 26? I have the 7 it's just that I've already used Klasse All in One sealed with Klasse Sealant.

I have the mirror glaze 26 and i thought it was a good carnauba topper for black, but it doesn't add depth it maybe lets the car collect dust. I tried layering it on some klasse sealant glaze :(

Multi coats of KSG will net great results, but remember to wait 10-12 hrs inbetween coats so the acrylic can "set up". As far as toppers go, I'm now into caranubas that are easy to use, so that eliminates #26 unless your using a PC. I apply one of the following:

-P21S
-Pinnacle "Signature Series"
-Pinnacle "Souveran" for red or black cars

BTW I'm going to get around to trying that Mequiars synthetic sealant, can't remember the number right now but I'm sure Dr. Cross can "perscribe it" for me:laugh: I've seen his work with it and it seems to really do the trick and who knows, maybe I'll go back home and check out what Mequiars has been up to:shrug: (note to everyone....Klasse is here to stay, period!)

As far as toppers go, I'm now into caranubas that are easy to use, so that eliminates #26 unless your using a PC.

Huh? I usually apply my LSP by hand. #26 is one of the easist by-hand waxes I have ever used! I'd say it is as easy as a synthetic wax/sealant, which themselves are almost a wipe-on wipe-off product. The key to easy removal of any product is a very thin coat of the product. Currently, I prefer the microfiber applicator pads for product application.

The Synthetic Sealant is #21. This is by far my favorite wax! As I have mentioned before, it has the reflection attributes of a synthetic and the depth/wet look of a carnuba. I use this as the LSP on my other 2 vehicles (usually 2 coats for added longevity).

you serious? Polish on TOP of the 26? I have the 7 it's just that I've already used Klasse All in One sealed with Klasse Sealant.

Yup :laugh:

I purchased a PC How-to video (created by Show Car Garage and staring Mike Phillips from Meguiar's On-line) in which they detailed a 60's black Corvette. The video goes through the whole process from paint evaluation, wash, clay, polish/cleaner, and finally wax. The very last step was to top the wax (NXT in this case) w/ #7. As mentioned in the video, this is the secret of many show cars (hence the name of #7, Show Car Glaze). I haven't done this yet, but I will the next time I wash my car:cool:

Search the forums here for P21S and stop with the Meguires.
Meguires is great for the weekend warriors who just wanna look good...

You've got the Klasse AIO and sealant, go to a Harley Davidson shop nearby and pick up a can of S100 carnuba wax for $15. Same thing as the P21S Rog mentioned earlier, just cheaper and closer. If no shop order your P21S from here

You're going to have so many layers of different s hit on your car it'll never shine......:nonono:

PS I can't believe Rog put the P21S on the top of that list!:laugh:

You're going to have so many layers of different s hit on your car it'll never shine......:nonono:

That's one of the advantages I find w/ Meguiar's: all of their products work together as a system. I just love to see some one's detail regime that looks like this:

Wash w/ Company A product
Clay w/ Company A
Polish w/ Company B
Sealant w/ Company C
LSP w/ Company B

I think your statement about so many different layers certainly applies to this senario. However, with Meguiar's wash, cleaner, polish, sealant, LSP, I am able to achieve a shine like this:

DSC01335-online.jpg

Just a couple more of my 2 cents:laugh:

Back